Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 48

Thread: Proposition 1123581321: Bring back AI

  1. #1
    Merry fucking Christmas Atmosfear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    8,692
    Credits
    1,827
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Proposition 1123581321: Bring back AI

    Proposal:

    BE IT RECOGNIZED THAT as it pertains to numerous discussions created as derailments or side-arguments in many non-Flames threads

    BE IT ALSO RECOGNIZED THAT many posters have mature and well-mannered discussions and wish to maintain an non-Flames posting standard on aforementioned discussions, derailments, and side-arguments



    BE IT ALSO RECOGNIZED THAT these discussions, derailments, and side-arguments have no central location in which to take place

    BE IT ALSO RECOGNIZED THAT a precedent has been established for sub-forums with limited interest to be created in a more general forum

    BE IT ALSO RECOGNIZED THAT discussions of these orders are pretty gay, nerdy, and otherwise unfit for decent company

    BE IT HEREBY RESOLVED THAT the administrators of Casual Discourse shall create a sub-forum of Nerdcore, tentatively entitled "Armchair Intellectuals" to be renamed later, to meet the needs of these posters, discussions, derailments, and side-arguments

    BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED THAT the rules of the newly created Armchair Intellectuals sub-forum shall remain in-line with that of other non-Flames forums and not stricter or more mentally masturbatory as in previous incarnations of said sub-forum with similar names.

    Signed,
    Atmosfear
    Lord High Chancellor of the South
    Champion of the Free Market

  2. #2
    the eagle
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,338
    Credits
    492
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Wait... Yeah... That's the Fibonacci sequence... but that only makes sense if it's in order. What if... the letters are scrambled, too?

    So Dark the Con of Man...
    Last edited by MalReynolds; 12-09-2008 at 02:57 PM.

  3. #3
    I loves sausage festival! djwolford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    In a television
    Posts
    7,188
    Credits
    373
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MalReynolds View Post
    Wait... Yeah... That's the Fibannaci sequence...
    I did not notice that at all, keen eye good sir.

    Also I like the idea of AI. It keeps intelligent discussions out of flames and casual intercourse, such as I enjoy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toki
    Oh, gives to me opposites werewolves that turns to humans whens the moons comes outs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Toki
    We's not goes downs that dusty roads again!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickles
    Toki is that straight vadka? It's not even noon...

  4. #4
    Scito Te Ipsum TheOriginalGrumpySpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    I am not a citizen of Athens or of Greece but of the world.
    Posts
    4,622
    Credits
    855
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by djwolford View Post
    I did not notice that at all, keen eye good sir.

    Also I like the idea of AI. It keeps intelligent discussions out of flames and casual intercourse, such as I enjoy.
    The DaVinci Code you halfwit.

    Fibonacci would not be happy you spelled his name wrong.

  5. #5
    I loves sausage festival! djwolford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    In a television
    Posts
    7,188
    Credits
    373
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheOriginalGrumpySpy View Post
    The DaVinci Code you halfwit.

    Fibonacci would not be happy you spelled his name wrong.
    I've never seen that film. I initially gained interest in the Fibonacci sequence because of Tool's Lateralus. True story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toki
    Oh, gives to me opposites werewolves that turns to humans whens the moons comes outs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Toki
    We's not goes downs that dusty roads again!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickles
    Toki is that straight vadka? It's not even noon...

  6. #6
    λεγιων ονομα μοι sycld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    10,598
    Credits
    2,136
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    atmosfear, you're becoming a huge vagina.

    no, AI sucked, and if people are having pseudo-intellectual discussions in places where they can be told how stupid what they're saying is then it's for the better.


    PANDAS
    If you don't like them, then get the fuck out.

    Quote Originally Posted by Think View Post
    Atheists are quite right

  7. #7
    Mega Bore Atomic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    los Estados Unidos de América
    Posts
    3,276
    Credits
    1,786
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I will vote yes on Proposition 1123581321 with these amendments:

    Proposal:

    BE IT RECOGNIZED THAT as it pertains to numerous discussions created as derailments or side-arguments in many non-Flames threads

    BE IT ALSO RECOGNIZED THAT many posters have mature and well-mannered discussions and wish to maintain an non-Flames posting standard on aforementioned discussions, derailments, and side-arguments

    BE IT ALSO RECOGNIZED THAT these discussions, derailments, and side-arguments have no central location in which to take place

    BE IT ALSO RECOGNIZED THAT a precedent has been established for sub-forums with limited interest to be created in a more general forum

    BE IT ALSO RECOGNIZED THAT discussions of these orders are pretty gay, nerdy, and otherwise unfit for decent company

    BE IT HEREBY RESOLVED THAT the administrators of Casual Discourse shall create a sub-forum of Nerdcore, tentatively entitled "Armchair Intellectuals" to be renamed later, to meet the needs of these posters, discussions, derailments, and side-arguments

    BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED THAT the rules of the newly created Armchair Intellectuals sub-forum shall remain in-line with that of other non-Flames forums and not stricter or more mentally masturbatory as in previous incarnations of said sub-forum with similar names.

    BE IT RECOGNIZED THAT the forum "The Great Outdoors" shall be renamed "Call of the Wild"

    BE IT RECOGNIZED THAT the said forum "Call of the Wild" shall be moved to it's rightful spot on the front page.

    If you help me on my project I will give you my vote.

  8. #8
    ))) joke, relax ;) coqauvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    the shwiggity
    Posts
    9,387
    Credits
    1,583
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sycld View Post
    atmosfear, you're becoming a huge vagina.

    no, AI sucked, and if people are having pseudo-intellectual discussions in places where they can be told how stupid what they're saying is then it's for the better.
    no way dude

    AI sucked, but at least it was an outlet for exploring an idea and arguing your points. As it stands, I could still do this across the main forums, but it would be better if there was a centralized forum for it.

    Also, the problem with you calling shenanigans on how stupid an argument is suffers from people like Kal el and Tidus saying "get out" or ":lol: ur gay", respectively. If people want to call me out on this shit, I want to argue with them back, and having a forum for such discussion is a good idea.

    If the moderator really cared, they could transfer posts from de-railed threads into threads in the pseudo-AI so that people who just want to circlejerk on an internet forum are free to do so away from civilised discussion.

    edit: atomic you don't belong in this thread, let alone AI

  9. #9
    Mega Bore Atomic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    los Estados Unidos de América
    Posts
    3,276
    Credits
    1,786
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sycld View Post
    atmosfear, you're becoming a huge vagina.

    no, AI sucked, and if people are having pseudo-intellectual discussions in places where they can be told how stupid what they're saying is then it's for the better.
    I disagree. A few months back I'd have agreed with you but I'm starting to grow fond of Atmosfear.

  10. #10
    Mega Bore Atomic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    los Estados Unidos de América
    Posts
    3,276
    Credits
    1,786
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coqauvin View Post
    edit: atomic you don't belong in this thread, let alone AI
    K. Do you have another door or should I leave through the one I came in?

  11. #11
    Merry fucking Christmas Atmosfear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    8,692
    Credits
    1,827
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sycld View Post
    atmosfear, you're becoming a huge vagina.

    no, AI sucked, and if people are having pseudo-intellectual discussions in places where they can be told how stupid what they're saying is then it's for the better.
    If you were capable of reading and/or cognition you would see that I wasn't asking for different posting standards in AI compared to any other forum. Typical of you, you made a dumbfuck assumption before reading the thread. You're exactly the type of moronic troll that AI was made to keep out, except that instead of stupid posting standards, we'll just bury it as a subforum.

    You also seem to be of the opinion that it's more important for people who want to have meaningful discussions to be able to be made fun of than it is for OPs to be able to keep their threads on-topic. Fucktard trolls like you who opposed infractions and then further oppose non-moderator solutions really ought to just stay out of SSQ.

  12. #12
    A very manly muppet Mad Pino Rage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
    Posts
    2,869
    Credits
    3,041
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Seconding/Thirding/Fifthing the motion to recognize this proposal.

    Motion to announce more people should post in this thread to agree.
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
    Albert Einstein

  13. #13
    Senior Member Sir Bifford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,521
    Credits
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I can't wait to troll gwahir.

  14. #14
    λεγιων ονομα μοι sycld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    10,598
    Credits
    2,136
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Atmosfear View Post
    If you were capable of reading and/or cognition you would see that I wasn't asking for different posting standards in AI compared to any other forum. Typical of you, you made a dumbfuck assumption before reading the thread. You're exactly the type of moronic troll that AI was made to keep out, except that instead of stupid posting standards, we'll just bury it as a subforum.

    You also seem to be of the opinion that it's more important for people who want to have meaningful discussions to be able to be made fun of than it is for OPs to be able to keep their threads on-topic. Fucktard trolls like you who opposed infractions and then further oppose non-moderator solutions really ought to just stay out of SSQ.
    I just don't get it, really.

    You're seriously one of the biggest trolls on these forums, or at least you used to be back when it was LWS/CD I. You even became a moderator just so you could troll with your moderator powers. Just another example of your typical hypocrisy where anything you do is fine, but other people should have their actions reigned in.

    Where exactly did I say that I was asking for a different posting standard from other forums? Maybe you're the one that needs to brush up on his reading comprehension.

    Also, yeah, I like making fun of people that take themselves too seriously or inflate the novelty of their own stupid derivative ideas and calling them out on it when they do. Maybe if CD had a critical mass of intelligent people that actually had critical thinking skills, then I would support this. But as it stands, it doesn't.

    In addition, I don't oppose the infraction system, though I don't know if it's time to implement it yet. Which post made you think that I was completely opposed to infractions-- the one that said "CD does rule!" or the one that said that http://letmegooglethatforyou.com is awesome? Or are you just making a "dumbfuck assumption" as usual?

    Finally, you seem to like forgetting how inane AI was in LWS. The most intelligent conversations were probably in CD, while AI was a forum for 13 year old philosophers that wouldn't recognize a logical fallacy if it bit them on the nose.

    In conclusion: just shut the fuck up atmosfear. You have absolutely no room to call others out on anything.
    Last edited by sycld; 12-09-2008 at 06:10 PM.


    PANDAS
    If you don't like them, then get the fuck out.

    Quote Originally Posted by Think View Post
    Atheists are quite right

  15. #15
    Sexual Deviant Vengeful Scars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    My Ass
    Posts
    6,599
    Credits
    3,388
    Trophies
    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I'd just eat a handful of LSD and post in AI.

    Do we need more megalomaniacs?
    lik dis if u cry evertim
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
    yes
    Quote Originally Posted by KT. View Post
    Oh I was expecting a guide to making meth

  16. #16
    Merry fucking Christmas Atmosfear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    8,692
    Credits
    1,827
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sycld View Post
    I just don't get it, really.

    You're seriously one of the biggest trolls on these forums, or at least you used to be back when it was LWS/CD I. You even became a moderator just so you could troll with your moderator powers. Just another example of your typical hypocrisy where anything you do is fine, but other people should have their actions reigned in.
    With greater contribution comes greater leniency. This has always been the way it has worked whether it was permaban followed by unbanning a week later, mods looking the other way, or warnings instead of infractions. The reason the majority of the best posters have all been banned one or more times is because when you contribute, minor violations are overlooked.

    Examples of contributions include things like epic threads, hard work as a mod, development and furtherment of memes, seniority, wit, etc. This isn't the way I make things work, this is the way they have worked since before 2007 (or whenever you got here, worthless babby)

    Quote Originally Posted by sycld View Post
    Where exactly did I say that I was asking for a different posting standard from other forums? Maybe you're the one that needs to brush up on his reading comprehension.
    "if people are having pseudo-intellectual discussions in places where they can be told how stupid what they're saying is then it's for the better."

    Since this is already the case, you are implying that a new location (AI) would prevent this. The means of preventing this is stricter rules.

    Quote Originally Posted by sycld View Post
    Also, yeah, I like making fun of people that take themselves too seriously or inflate the novelty of their own stupid derivative ideas and calling them out on it when they do. Maybe if CD had a critical mass of intelligent people that actually had critical thinking skills, then I would support this. But as it stands, it doesn't.
    hurfdurf mouth-breathing. Ignoring for a second that none of that is a part of the stated purpose of reviving AI, the fact that there is nothing here to attract "intelligent people that actually had critical thinking skills" would tend to prevent those types of people from showing up. There is no emo forum, so there are no emos. There is no forum that requires thoughtful discussion, so there are no people who seek out thoughtful discussion.

    And nowhere in here did I say the purpose was for intelligent people with critical thinking skills to have a place to have philosophical discussions. The purpose was to prevent derailment of otherwise viable threads only minimally related to those discussions by providing an easy place to conduct them. When a bunch of militiafags started posting about guns, we effectively brought back The Armory.

    Quote Originally Posted by sycld View Post
    In addition, I don't oppose the infraction system, though I don't know if it's time to implement it yet. Which post made you think that I was completely opposed to infractions-- the one that said "CD does rule!" or the one that said that http://letmegooglethatforyou.com is awesome? Or are you just making a "dumbfuck assumption"?
    Same difference.

    Quote Originally Posted by sycld View Post
    Finally, you seem to like forgetting how inane AI was in LWS. The most intelligent conversations were probably in CD, while AI was a forum for 13 year old philosophers that wouldn't recognize a logical fallacy if it bit them on the nose.
    Not the same purpose

    Quote Originally Posted by sycld View Post
    In conclusion: just shut the fuck up atmosfear. You have absolutely no room to call others out on anything.
    The next time you bitch about me getting special treatment, don't try to use a meme I created, fucking knuckledragger.

  17. #17
    λεγιων ονομα μοι sycld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    10,598
    Credits
    2,136
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    To be honest, I really don't are if AI comes back or not. I didn't really care that much in the first place to argue the point to this extent.


    Quote Originally Posted by Atmosfear View Post
    With greater contribution comes greater leniency. This has always been the way it has worked whether it was permaban followed by unbanning a week later, mods looking the other way, or warnings instead of infractions. The reason the majority of the best posters have all been banned one or more times is because when you contribute, minor violations are overlooked.

    Examples of contributions include things like epic threads, hard work as a mod, development and furtherment of memes, seniority, wit, etc. This isn't the way I make things work, this is the way they have worked since before 2007 (or whenever you got here, worthless babby)
    What do you want, a fucking ribbon? Your dick sucked?

    That's how every forum works, but you take it to a whole other level. Handing out warnings instead of infractions is one thing, but becoming a mod just to fuck things up is completely different.

    "if people are having pseudo-intellectual discussions in places where they can be told how stupid what they're saying is then it's for the better."

    Since this is already the case, you are implying that a new location (AI) would prevent this. The means of preventing this is stricter rules.
    And your stated purpose is to prevent people from having side-arguments or from having threads de-railed, which would also require stricter rules.

    hurfdurf mouth-breathing. Ignoring for a second that none of that is a part of the stated purpose of reviving AI, the fact that there is nothing here to attract "intelligent people that actually had critical thinking skills" would tend to prevent those types of people from showing up. There is no emo forum, so there are no emos. There is no forum that requires thoughtful discussion, so there are no people who seek out thoughtful discussion.

    And nowhere in here did I say the purpose was for intelligent people with critical thinking skills to have a place to have philosophical discussions. The purpose was to prevent derailment of otherwise viable threads only minimally related to those discussions by providing an easy place to conduct them. When a bunch of militiafags started posting about guns, we effectively brought back The Armory.
    and again, having AI in CD I or LWS didn't suddenly bring in a boat load of intelligent people.

    Same difference.
    no


    Not the same purpose
    How are you going to make it different then, aside from just saying that it's going to be different?

    The next time you bitch about me getting special treatment, don't try to use a meme I created, fucking knuckledragger.
    Sorry, I forgot that the internet is srs bsn.
    Last edited by sycld; 12-09-2008 at 06:39 PM.


    PANDAS
    If you don't like them, then get the fuck out.

    Quote Originally Posted by Think View Post
    Atheists are quite right

  18. #18
    ))) joke, relax ;) coqauvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    the shwiggity
    Posts
    9,387
    Credits
    1,583
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sycld View Post
    You even became a moderator just so you could troll with your moderator powers.
    Man it is a good thing that Atmosfear is capable of granting himself mod powers on any forum of his choosing. This was a fine display of critical thinking.

    Quote Originally Posted by sycld View Post
    Also, yeah, I like making fun of people that take themselves too seriously or inflate the novelty of their own stupid derivative ideas and calling them out on it when they do.
    This is what this forum is for.

    Quote Originally Posted by sycld View Post
    Finally, you seem to like forgetting how inane AI was in LWS. The most intelligent conversations were probably in CD, while AI was a forum for 13 year old philosophers that wouldn't recognize a logical fallacy if it bit them on the nose.
    Did you say the most intelligent conversations in LWS were in CD? That's a load of bullshit. Even with it's massive user-base (admittedly, mostly emos), lws still only had a handful of people who could come up with an intelligent argument and argue it without having to resort to flaming and cussing. I challenge you to find a single thread in the LWS and CD archives that rivals in the clear thinking and presentation of Exodite Prime or Pansophist.

    There are enough people here who can intelligently argue a point to warrant a subforum for them.

    edit: ignoring the fact that this argument doesn't particularly apply to me, I fail to understand why sycld is so rabid about this subforum.
    Last edited by coqauvin; 12-09-2008 at 08:27 PM.

  19. #19
    λεγιων ονομα μοι sycld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    10,598
    Credits
    2,136
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    edit: ignoring the fact that this argument doesn't particularly apply to me, I fail to understand why sycld is so rabid about this subforum.
    Quote Originally Posted by sycld View Post
    To be honest, I really don't are if AI comes back or not. I didn't really care that much in the first place to argue the point to this extent.
    Quote Originally Posted by coqauvin View Post
    Man it is a good thing that Atmosfear is capable of granting himself mod powers on any forum of his choosing. This was a fine display of critical thinking.
    Did I ever say that Atmosfear granted himself modding powers? Also you don't know what I'm referring to since you weren't here, and I don't feel like explaining anything to you.


    PANDAS
    If you don't like them, then get the fuck out.

    Quote Originally Posted by Think View Post
    Atheists are quite right

  20. #20
    ))) joke, relax ;) coqauvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    the shwiggity
    Posts
    9,387
    Credits
    1,583
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sycld View Post
    Did I ever say that Atmosfear granted himself modding powers? Also you don't know what I'm referring to since you weren't here, and I don't feel like explaining anything to you.
    Perhaps I oversimplified it. You said:

    Quote Originally Posted by sycld
    You even became a moderator just so you could troll with your moderator powers.
    The implication is that the only reason that Atmosfear became a mod was so that he could troll with greater effect, but to become a moderator means he has to have shown an outstanding contribution or quality of character on the forums that the admins are willing to grant him these powers. If his sole intention was simply to troll the forums, he would not have become a mod as admins generally do not mod trolls. Since he is, nevertheless, a mod, the astounding leap in logic comes from him granting himself these powers, as no sane admin would do so to a troll of the calibre that you describe.

    Also dismissing me based on the fact that you don't feel like explaining yourself means that you yourself are one of those terrible AI posters who shouldn't be there.

  21. #21
    Senior Member Sir Bifford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,521
    Credits
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Dear God create AI to confine these homosexuals. Amen.

  22. #22
    Band simonj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Thicket of Solitude
    Posts
    9,905
    Credits
    1,600
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coqauvin View Post
    Perhaps I oversimplified it. You said:



    The implication is that the only reason that Atmosfear became a mod was so that he could troll with greater effect, but to become a moderator means he has to have shown an outstanding contribution or quality of character on the forums that the admins are willing to grant him these powers. If his sole intention was simply to troll the forums, he would not have become a mod as admins generally do not mod trolls. Since he is, nevertheless, a mod, the astounding leap in logic comes from him granting himself these powers, as no sane admin would do so to a troll of the calibre that you describe.

    Also dismissing me based on the fact that you don't feel like explaining yourself means that you yourself are one of those terrible AI posters who shouldn't be there.
    lol lurk mor newb.

  23. #23
    λεγιων ονομα μοι sycld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    10,598
    Credits
    2,136
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coqauvin View Post

    Also dismissing me based on the fact that you don't feel like explaining yourself means that you yourself are one of those terrible AI posters who shouldn't be there.
    I JUST DON'T FUCKING FEEL LIKE POSTING IN THIS THREAD OR FUCKING TALKING TO YOU, THAT'S WHY I DON'T FEEL LIKE EXPLAINING IT OKAY?

    Jesus. I don't fucking care if there's a fucking AI forum or not.
    Last edited by sycld; 12-09-2008 at 09:15 PM.


    PANDAS
    If you don't like them, then get the fuck out.

    Quote Originally Posted by Think View Post
    Atheists are quite right

  24. #24
    ))) joke, relax ;) coqauvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    the shwiggity
    Posts
    9,387
    Credits
    1,583
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    successful troll is successful

  25. #25
    Merry fucking Christmas Atmosfear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    8,692
    Credits
    1,827
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    GREAT TROLL A+++++++++++ WOULD TROLL AGAIN

  26. #26
    Shit-show MotoXRider31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    161
    Credits
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I like the idea of AI coming back. I never posted there before because I felt dumb, but now that I'm much older, wiser, and have a beard, I think I'm capable of such ventures.

  27. #27
    Senior Member Killuminati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,935
    Credits
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Angry thread is angry.

  28. #28
    Journeyman Cocksmith Mr. E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,769
    Credits
    807
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I think that this thread, where intelligent thought devolved into a series of personal attacks, is evidence that we should not have an AI and things should just stay the way they are now.

  29. #29
    the eagle
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,338
    Credits
    492
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    This thread is a logical fallacy. YOU'RE A LOGICAL FALLACY. And a straw-man. Burden of proof. Corollary. Dictum. Other buzz-words.

  30. #30
    ))) joke, relax ;) coqauvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    the shwiggity
    Posts
    9,387
    Credits
    1,583
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
    I think that this thread, where intelligent thought devolved into a series of personal attacks, is evidence that we should not have an AI and things should just stay the way they are now.
    you're right

    let's take these kinds of arguments and smear them across the whole forums instead of having a centralized location for them

    edit: sycld was asking for it

  31. #31
    Journeyman Cocksmith Mr. E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,769
    Credits
    807
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coqauvin View Post
    you're right

    let's take these kinds of arguments and smear them across the whole forums instead of having a centralized location for them

    edit: sycld was asking for it
    They already are smeared across the whole forum, however creating AI would pretty much be creating a place that would not only be filled with this, but would also breed more of it. Also, I wasn't passing judgment either way.

  32. #32
    ))) joke, relax ;) coqauvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    the shwiggity
    Posts
    9,387
    Credits
    1,583
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    breed more of it? the userbase on this forum is pretty well established, and we don't get many new people. Having this forum is an outlet for the people who are here to have a long discussion about a topic that interests us without derailing whatever thread about guys and pickle jars you are reading.

    If stricter rules were enacted, then that kind of posting wouldn't be tolerated. It occurs because a signifigant proportion of the posters here are active in Flames, where that kind of posting is expected, much less tolerated. If you make a statement about the required kind of behavior within a forum, and enforce the rules to the point where the posters understand what is expected and don't fuck with it, then that kind of douchebaggery won't be present. It will take moderation, but what doesn't?

  33. #33
    Journeyman Cocksmith Mr. E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,769
    Credits
    807
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coqauvin View Post
    breed more of it? the userbase on this forum is pretty well established, and we don't get many new people. Having this forum is an outlet for the people who are here to have a long discussion about a topic that interests us without derailing whatever thread about guys and pickle jars you are reading.

    If stricter rules were enacted, then that kind of posting wouldn't be tolerated. It occurs because a signifigant proportion of the posters here are active in Flames, where that kind of posting is expected, much less tolerated. If you make a statement about the required kind of behavior within a forum, and enforce the rules to the point where the posters understand what is expected and don't fuck with it, then that kind of douchebaggery won't be present. It will take moderation, but what doesn't?
    The way things are now doesn't take moderation. There have been many threads in CI of an intellectual nature that functioned just fine. There is no point in creating another forum for this. This is the internet. A certain amount of douchebaggery is to be expected.

  34. #34
    ))) joke, relax ;) coqauvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    the shwiggity
    Posts
    9,387
    Credits
    1,583
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    There was no point in creating 'the Great Outdoors', because people posting guns and talking about fishing happend outside of it anyway, sans moderation.

    to quote atmosfear: "a precedent has been established for sub-forums with limited interest to be created in a more general forum"

    the armory was one of the slowest sub-forums on LWS, a site with signifigantly heavier traffic than this site receives. However, it gets revived here, and experiences traffic as well.

    The forum is not zero-sum; people who post will psot in this sub-forum in addition to regular posting elsewhere. There is no finite amount of posts each person has and uses in a single session.

  35. #35
    Journeyman Cocksmith Mr. E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,769
    Credits
    807
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coqauvin View Post
    There was no point in creating 'the Great Outdoors', because people posting guns and talking about fishing happend outside of it anyway, sans moderation.

    to quote atmosfear: "a precedent has been established for sub-forums with limited interest to be created in a more general forum"

    the armory was one of the slowest sub-forums on LWS, a site with signifigantly heavier traffic than this site receives. However, it gets revived here, and experiences traffic as well.

    The forum is not zero-sum; people who post will psot in this sub-forum in addition to regular posting elsewhere. There is no finite amount of posts each person has and uses in a single session.
    That's not what I'm worried about. I'm worried because strict moderation in one area is the gateway to strict moderation all over. Plus AI also attracts the worst kind of faggots, which will then spread around the forum. Making the smarties have to deal with the occasional digression and idiocy keeps pretentiousness away.

  36. #36
    Merry fucking Christmas Atmosfear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    8,692
    Credits
    1,827
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
    The way things are now doesn't take moderation. There have been many threads in CI of an intellectual nature that functioned just fine. There is no point in creating another forum for this. This is the internet. A certain amount of douchebaggery is to be expected.
    The issue is that a lot of these discussions were the result of a few people derailing the thread. "What would you do if you were president?" turned into the merits of privatized education. That's not the purpose of those threads, and it's unfair to the OP and the people who post in them to have to wade through a bunch of derailed nonsense.

    The most recent example of this, I think, was when you asked me about advertising. If there had been an AI, I would have just linked to a thread in AI and anyone who was interested could read it there and anyone who wasn't could continue the thread as normal. As it was, I derailed the thread and then received a handful of "tl;dr" posts in the middle of an otherwise lively thread.

    Long, off-topic discussions amidst other threads makes them difficult to approach, because once derailed it is frustratingly difficult to follow. You may recall this is why we hated MrDie.

  37. #37
    Journeyman Cocksmith Mr. E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,769
    Credits
    807
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Atmosfear View Post
    The issue is that a lot of these discussions were the result of a few people derailing the thread. "What would you do if you were president?" turned into the merits of privatized education. That's not the purpose of those threads, and it's unfair to the OP and the people who post in them to have to wade through a bunch of derailed nonsense.

    The most recent example of this, I think, was when you asked me about advertising. If there had been an AI, I would have just linked to a thread in AI and anyone who was interested could read it there and anyone who wasn't could continue the thread as normal. As it was, I derailed the thread and then received a handful of "tl;dr" posts in the middle of an otherwise lively thread.

    Long, off-topic discussions amidst other threads makes them difficult to approach, because once derailed it is frustratingly difficult to follow. You may recall this is why we hated MrDie.
    Well, there is merit to this argument, but in most cases it doesn't seem that the OP actually cares. The nature of a discussion forum is to discuss, and my discussions start one place and end someplace completely different all the time. In the end I don't really care though, were there an AI it wouldn't really bother me, just so long as a wave of intellectual and pseudo-intellectual posters don't show up and start acting like they are better than everyone else in places other than AI.

  38. #38
    Merry fucking Christmas Atmosfear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    8,692
    Credits
    1,827
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Doesn't matter if the OP cares. From the standpoint of fostering discussion and promoting growth, if there are two ideas in a thread worthy of discussion, derailment ends the discussion of the first idea and allows only a single topic. Meanwhile, if there is a forum to foster those discussions, then both ideas can be expounded upon, generating more posts and ultimately more users.

  39. #39
    the eagle
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,338
    Credits
    492
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Woahh.... what about multi-thread threads. How fucking gonzo would that be? It'd be gonzo as fuck.

  40. #40
    feel like funkin' it up gwahir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    margaritaville
    Posts
    6,536
    Credits
    2,396
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    When I get home from work in about 20 minutes I am going to set up an Armchair Intellectuals forum and it will be named such until a better name is suggested. Atmosfear will be in charge of moderating this forum.

Similar Threads

  1. Bring back teh best parts of LWS/CD
    By sycld in forum Suggestions
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 01-01-2009, 07:23 PM
  2. BRING IT BACK!!!
    By Kozzle in forum Casual Intercourse
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-25-2008, 07:42 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •