Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 76

Thread: ATTN: Musicians of Casual Discourse

  1. #1
    ))) joke, relax ;) coqauvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    the shwiggity
    Posts
    9,399
    Credits
    1,633
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default ATTN: Musicians of Casual Discourse

    I'm curious to see how many people on this forum can play an instrument. Like many popped-collar douchebags, I can play the guitar, and I like to delude myself into thinking I can sing as well. So what do you play? Do you have some kind of recording of your incredible talent? Post it!

    I would love to see some kind of collaborative project, or something unique to this forum get developed here, but initially, I suppose we should see who can do what here.

  2. #2
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    1,694
    Credits
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I took piano lessons for six years. Although I've barely touched the piano for the past five years so I'm fairly rusty. I also played viola/violin in the school orchestra from 7th-11th grade.

  3. #3
    Band simonj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Thicket of Solitude
    Posts
    9,882
    Credits
    1,615
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I started as a bass player. Got really fuckin' good at it. Went to college (high school if you're American) to do music and then left. Then I went back and shortly afterwards left again. Then I became a mediocre guitar player. Broke my bass and so now I just fuck around and occasionally busk a bit of blues or folk with a beat up electro-acoustic which only has 3 strings and a shitty electric which belongs to my friends that only has 5 strings.

    When I was at my Dad's recently I was playing his guitar and it just felt wrong playing with the full six strings.

    I also play a bit of harmonica, ukulele and I have a stylophone I occasionally bust out.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    112
    Credits
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I played guitar for 5 years, and got pretty good by my own standards, but pretty much dropped it for piano/keyboard for the last 3 years. I definitely get on better with the keys, and play guitar as if I've been playing for 6 months now :/

    I played the trumpet as a kid, but purely for music lessons at school, I wouldn't know where to start with one now.
    I doodle around with a harmonica sometimes.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    26
    Credits
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I've been playing the guitar for a little more than a year now.
    I was all self-taught until this week.
    I admit I do not have a lot of experience but I'm decent.
    At least better than many people who've been playing much longer.

    Wow, that sounded sorta arrogant. :/

  6. #6
    Senior Member Crysack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    232
    Credits
    120
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Violin, Guitar, Piano, Drums here. I might post something at some point.

  7. #7
    I loves sausage festival! djwolford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    In a television
    Posts
    7,186
    Credits
    400
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    I'm a terrible guitar player/decent bass guitarist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toki
    Oh, gives to me opposites werewolves that turns to humans whens the moons comes outs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Toki
    We's not goes downs that dusty roads again!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickles
    Toki is that straight vadka? It's not even noon...

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    810
    Credits
    475
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I play guitar and bass regularly. I know my way around a few other instruments too (banjo, drums, ukulele, melodica) but I don't really play them that often.

    I try to record a lot but I only manage to finish stuff every once in a while. Just posted a thread with my most recent song, and I've posted stuff here in the past

  9. #9
    Scito Te Ipsum TheOriginalGrumpySpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    I am not a citizen of Athens or of Greece but of the world.
    Posts
    4,609
    Credits
    860
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    The piano is pretty much the only instrument I want to play. I'm finally taking a course next quarter, 2 years after I get a keyboard.

  10. #10
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    623
    Credits
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I'm in college for music and play the trumpet. I do jazz gigs pretty frequently. I love playing.

  11. #11
    Superfly Pepsi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Somewhere in your pants.
    Posts
    7,920
    Credits
    531
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    I'm decent at drums. I also do screaming for a band while I'm at school.

    If I concentrate and practice a bit, I'm sure I can remember how to play the saxophone.
    I hear the voices inside my head. They counsel me. They understand. They talk to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by djwolford View Post
    You know, when Tidus points out that you have failed at internetting, it's probably time to go ahead and off yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by gwahir View Post
    pepsi reserves the right to tell cryptic to get out at any time

    it's in the CD charter

  12. #12
    Hydro did this. <JANE>'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,516
    Credits
    181
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I play guitar to a fairly good standard and a bit of bass.
    http://www.myspace.com/the1976wallerbluesexplosion
    Here are some little ideas that I've recorded over the years. I'm currently working on writing songs with a few people at uni with the hope of getting a band together soon.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    810
    Credits
    475
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by <JANE> View Post
    I play guitar to a fairly good standard and a bit of bass.
    http://www.myspace.com/the1976wallerbluesexplosion
    Here are some little ideas that I've recorded over the years. I'm currently working on writing songs with a few people at uni with the hope of getting a band together soon.
    Jane you have some good ideas, when your band gets some recordings be sure to let me know I'd love to hear

  14. #14
    Senior Member Seek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16
    Credits
    970
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Well, I'm just about on my third year of playing guitar.
    I've recorded a few tracks. I play the guitars and keyboards.
    My friend does all of the drums. It's kinda sketch but eh, check it out if you want.
    http://www.myspace.com/mindofarevolutionaryband
    Let me know what you think.

  15. #15
    A very manly muppet Mad Pino Rage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
    Posts
    2,865
    Credits
    3,041
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by <JANE> View Post
    I play guitar to a fairly good standard and a bit of bass.
    http://www.myspace.com/the1976wallerbluesexplosion
    Here are some little ideas that I've recorded over the years. I'm currently working on writing songs with a few people at uni with the hope of getting a band together soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    Well, I'm just about on my third year of playing guitar.
    I've recorded a few tracks. I play the guitars and keyboards.
    My friend does all of the drums. It's kinda sketch but eh, check it out if you want.
    http://www.myspace.com/mindofarevolutionaryband
    Let me know what you think.
    I really liked the songs I heard on both profiles. Made a request to both of you to be added as friends.
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
    Albert Einstein

  16. #16
    ))) joke, relax ;) coqauvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    the shwiggity
    Posts
    9,399
    Credits
    1,633
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I suppose I should link to some of my playing as others here have.

    I don't have a myspace account or anything, so all my recording is done through a 4-year old digital camera movie that I then upload to youtube, so please be a little forgiving; on one hand, the poor quality helps to hide some of the mistakes that i make in playing, but on the other it also removes some of the delicacies of dynamics i try to employ. maybe i should just get a good microphone.


    Here is by Elliott Smith

    and by my mancrush Antoine Dufour

  17. #17
    Journeyman Cocksmith Mr. E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,837
    Credits
    1,085
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Default

    I am a master of all woodwinds (except the flute), the best of which being the saxophone. I am an excellent bassist, a mediocre pianist, and are about equal levels of pretty good at trumpet, trombone, and french horn. For about 12 years I thought I was going to do something with music as a career, but then I realized I didn't want to teach and I hated being forced to play stuff I didn't want to play.

    I am also pretty good at audio production, with experience in Reason, Pro Tools, and Cubase as well as some lesser programs.

    I would volunteer for a collab, but this community has tried to do this about 1 million times and it never comes together. However, if it starts looking like it actually might, I would be down for laying down some tracks or doing some producing.

    I have a bunch of stuff I've produced and some tracks of me playing around here somewhere, but I'm too lazy at the moment to deal with ripping and uploading and whatnot.

  18. #18
    Ghost Poaster Woofness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,234
    Credits
    758
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I learned a little piano from an early age, then moved on to trumpet which is still my main instrument. I play in a number of bands both classical and otherwise with trumpet, the most successful being Freefall.
    http://www.myspace.com/bandfreefall

    I picked up bass a few years ago as I wanted a to play in a rock band for a change, but didn't really get too far. I also play drums and am now the drummer in my newly formed band Opaque.
    Quote Originally Posted by <JANE> View Post
    This post was quite an effort to make, I hope it wont get lost.

  19. #19
    ))) joke, relax ;) coqauvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    the shwiggity
    Posts
    9,399
    Credits
    1,633
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
    I am a master of all woodwinds (except the flute), the best of which being the saxophone. I am an excellent bassist, a mediocre pianist, and are about equal levels of pretty good at trumpet, trombone, and french horn. For about 12 years I thought I was going to do something with music as a career, but then I realized I didn't want to teach and I hated being forced to play stuff I didn't want to play.

    I am also pretty good at audio production, with experience in Reason, Pro Tools, and Cubase as well as some lesser programs.

    I would volunteer for a collab, but this community has tried to do this about 1 million times and it never comes together. However, if it starts looking like it actually might, I would be down for laying down some tracks or doing some producing.

    I have a bunch of stuff I've produced and some tracks of me playing around here somewhere, but I'm too lazy at the moment to deal with ripping and uploading and whatnot.
    Maybe instead of a collaboration, a competition of sorts? I was trying to think of how one could do a collaboration on this site, but it would be so messy to get off the ground.

    We could each do covers of a specific song, or write a 1:00 ditty to a theme with this forum as an audience to vote on, or something along those lines I haven't particularly thought out at this point.

  20. #20
    Journeyman Cocksmith Mr. E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,837
    Credits
    1,085
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coqauvin View Post
    Maybe instead of a collaboration, a competition of sorts? I was trying to think of how one could do a collaboration on this site, but it would be so messy to get off the ground.

    We could each do covers of a specific song, or write a 1:00 ditty to a theme with this forum as an audience to vote on, or something along those lines I haven't particularly thought out at this point.
    ooh, that would be cool.

  21. #21
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    623
    Credits
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I can up some backing tracks that we can record over and have an improv contest.

  22. #22
    Sheriff of Paddy's captain castle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,353
    Credits
    233
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I tune my cock occasionally


    It doesn't sound very good, but it keeps your mom coming back for repeat performances
    Quote Originally Posted by Atmosfear View Post
    Yeah, the porn stars are the ones who are gross and creepy, not the guy who tells his girlfriends "I just like watching chicks getting their vag's pounded"

    Virgins who have never had a girlfriend are hereby banned from PS starting yesterday
    Quote Originally Posted by no_brains_no_worries View Post
    You're probably the only person who be able to commit felony-level acts of violence in nerd rage.
    Quote Originally Posted by CyanideWyrm View Post
    Captain Castle: Now with the ability to fuck you into atheism
    Quote Originally Posted by DAVIDSDIVAD View Post
    Holy shit you are unfunny

  23. #23
    Superfly Pepsi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Somewhere in your pants.
    Posts
    7,920
    Credits
    531
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by captain castle View Post
    I tune my cock occasionally


    It doesn't sound very good, but it keeps your mom coming back for repeat performances
    No, no it doesn't.
    I hear the voices inside my head. They counsel me. They understand. They talk to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by djwolford View Post
    You know, when Tidus points out that you have failed at internetting, it's probably time to go ahead and off yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by gwahir View Post
    pepsi reserves the right to tell cryptic to get out at any time

    it's in the CD charter

  24. #24
    Sheriff of Paddy's captain castle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,353
    Credits
    233
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pepsi View Post
    No, no it doesn't.
    Were I a suspicious man, I'd say you're following me around to make shitty jokes


    cause you have a crush on me
    Quote Originally Posted by Atmosfear View Post
    Yeah, the porn stars are the ones who are gross and creepy, not the guy who tells his girlfriends "I just like watching chicks getting their vag's pounded"

    Virgins who have never had a girlfriend are hereby banned from PS starting yesterday
    Quote Originally Posted by no_brains_no_worries View Post
    You're probably the only person who be able to commit felony-level acts of violence in nerd rage.
    Quote Originally Posted by CyanideWyrm View Post
    Captain Castle: Now with the ability to fuck you into atheism
    Quote Originally Posted by DAVIDSDIVAD View Post
    Holy shit you are unfunny

  25. #25
    Superfly Pepsi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Somewhere in your pants.
    Posts
    7,920
    Credits
    531
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by captain castle View Post
    Were I a suspicious man, I'd say you're following me around to make shitty jokes


    cause you have a crush on me
    First part, yes.

    Second part, no...because if that were true, you'd try to get with me then I'd be the one you crushed.
    I hear the voices inside my head. They counsel me. They understand. They talk to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by djwolford View Post
    You know, when Tidus points out that you have failed at internetting, it's probably time to go ahead and off yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by gwahir View Post
    pepsi reserves the right to tell cryptic to get out at any time

    it's in the CD charter

  26. #26
    Sheriff of Paddy's captain castle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,353
    Credits
    233
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    That sort of makes sense I guess
    Quote Originally Posted by Atmosfear View Post
    Yeah, the porn stars are the ones who are gross and creepy, not the guy who tells his girlfriends "I just like watching chicks getting their vag's pounded"

    Virgins who have never had a girlfriend are hereby banned from PS starting yesterday
    Quote Originally Posted by no_brains_no_worries View Post
    You're probably the only person who be able to commit felony-level acts of violence in nerd rage.
    Quote Originally Posted by CyanideWyrm View Post
    Captain Castle: Now with the ability to fuck you into atheism
    Quote Originally Posted by DAVIDSDIVAD View Post
    Holy shit you are unfunny

  27. #27
    kiss my sweaty balls benzss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,455
    Credits
    43,414
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I'm pretty average on guitar and bass and haven't played regularly for about 2 years now... but it's kind of like learning to ride a bike I guess. I picked up my guitar a few months back and could still play it fine, just completely forget all the songs I knew.

    Also competent on drums but that isn't difficult if you have rhythm.

  28. #28
    λεγιων ονομα μοι sycld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    10,580
    Credits
    2,136
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I suck at piano, and I'm a pretty good tenor.


    PANDAS
    If you don't like them, then get the fuck out.

    Quote Originally Posted by Think View Post
    Atheists are quite right

  29. #29
    40h
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    40
    Credits
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    With proficiency, I can play the guitar, bass, drums, and keys (and if you want to count it as an instrument, the monome). I can also play violin, viola, cello, flute, saxophone, harp, tabla, djembe, and marimba, but these I need a little warming up before I can do anything well. Before I get called out on that, I can say that I have been tested with each instrument, as I have had to perform with each, and although I wasn't the greatest at doing so, I got through my performance. I'm also proficient with the workings of analog and digital synthesizers, and I have built multiple high quality synths in Reaktor, which I will say is nothing like life. I've also recently taken up vocals for my band. I don't believe I'm a great singer, but I've been told by a few people that I am better than I think.

  30. #30
    ))) joke, relax ;) coqauvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    the shwiggity
    Posts
    9,399
    Credits
    1,633
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I personally think that we should have some kind of friendly competition to stretch our wings here a little bit.

    I don't know how exactly this shoudl go - will we just do lead over a backing track? are we going to have a competition on song-writing? are we involving other musicians we know outside of the internet and recording that, or is it just us as we are? are there going to be phases? are we voting and having an elimination competition? will there be prizes, or just stature?

    I am totally down for this, but i think we should collectively decide what would be a fun way of messing around with music on the internet.

  31. #31
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    623
    Credits
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Idk we could compose with certain guidelines I guess. Or we could lead over a backing track. Either way works.

  32. #32
    40h
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    40
    Credits
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I tried something similar back in the day, when all was LWS (I haven't made it all the way through the rules yet, so I don't know if I'm not allowed to mention that), and I had a lot of trouble just getting people motivated. It was pretty much a contest, where I would assign each participant a number, teams would be chosen at random and those teams wrote and recorded one song, and the members of the forum voted on the best song. I got a few people into it, but not enough. If you can get enough people to do it, I'd definitely be up for it.

  33. #33
    I killed Tupac Shinysides's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,139
    Credits
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Tenor Saxamaphone
    Last edited by Shinysides; 01-03-2009 at 01:05 AM.

  34. #34
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    623
    Credits
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thefecesthrowinggod View Post
    I tried something similar back in the day, when all was LWS (I haven't made it all the way through the rules yet, so I don't know if I'm not allowed to mention that), and I had a lot of trouble just getting people motivated. It was pretty much a contest, where I would assign each participant a number, teams would be chosen at random and those teams wrote and recorded one song, and the members of the forum voted on the best song. I got a few people into it, but not enough. If you can get enough people to do it, I'd definitely be up for it.
    I think that'd be too much work. If each person composed a song that was say 30 seconds to 3 minutes in length with certain guidelines (limited to certain chords and progressions and such) then I think it'd be fun.

  35. #35
    40h
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    40
    Credits
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Definitely true, but the thing about that is many people who might be interested don't have the ability to do full songs. Some can't sing, others can't play guitar or bass or drums or can't program any of those instruments. Many of them don't have the ability to record and mix and master their final products. I can offer all around mixing and mastering but I can't record people outside of my living area, so that's why I chose to make teams, so everyone could put their two cents in, and if they can't record their parts then they can still write them and work with the group.

  36. #36
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    623
    Credits
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    True. I was just talking about strictly composition, like using Finale or some other program to compose something then just turn that into a MIDI file. Or we could record over tracks. Either way. I still think teams would be waaaay too much of an effort.

  37. #37
    ))) joke, relax ;) coqauvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    the shwiggity
    Posts
    9,399
    Credits
    1,633
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    i think just composing something to a theme and submitting the work

    if you can't do something, you can't do it, and i'm not going to spend the effort ensuring everyone can do it

    have fun with something, but really make it for yourself.

    not even composing something in fidelity, just make a recording based on a theme like sex or drugs or rock and roll and we'll vote on who did what the best

    the less effort required to get it to fly, the higher the likelihood of it actually working. making extra work like teams and whatnot is too much effort, unless there is a significant desire for that to happen, and that's not the case right now.

  38. #38
    40h
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    40
    Credits
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    If we're talking about strictly composition, then it would be much more simple to get off of the ground. I'm definitely in, if enough people are interested.

  39. #39
    Ghost Poaster Woofness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,234
    Credits
    758
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Im in fellas.

    just say the word
    Quote Originally Posted by <JANE> View Post
    This post was quite an effort to make, I hope it wont get lost.

  40. #40
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    623
    Credits
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Hey fecesgod, PM me and we can collaborate on some guidelines.

Similar Threads

  1. Casual Discourse's Biggest Idiot
    By TheOriginalGrumpySpy in forum Casual Intercourse
    Replies: 121
    Last Post: 12-04-2008, 01:26 AM
  2. Musicians Mantra
    By elenore19 in forum Suggestions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-20-2008, 01:19 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •