Thread: Superchips

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Superchips

Worth the money? While I was at school, a buddy bought a programmer for his 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7. Another purchased one for his '05 F250 5.4. Both seemed impressed and even in the passenger seat I could feel a difference. Anyone here own one?

On a related note, another friend has had a Bullydog for his '02 F250 diesel for a few years and swears by it. Should I jump on the bandwagon?

Merry fucking Christmas Atmosfear's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Depends on what you're looking to get out of it.

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU Anonymous D's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Chips in a gas engine can give you some performance boosts. You will probably be able to feel it, but its wont be much.

On a diesel a chip can give you a SHITLOAD more HP.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Atmosfear View Post
    Depends on what you're looking to get out of it.
    Well, the multi-programmed ones look interesting, with settings for towing, performance or fuel economy. Granted, it is not worth the price just to gain 1 or 2 mpg, but having that option for the upcoming Baton Rouge move would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous d View Post
    Chips in a gas engine can give you some performance boosts. You will probably be able to feel it, but its wont be much.

On a diesel a chip can give you a SHITLOAD more HP.
    On their website, the 6.6 liter GM trucks are claimed to gain 120 horsepower. Sounds great. For my truck, the site advertises 18 horsepower and 17 ft/lb of torque. Not a whole lot, but not bad for $430 or less. Plus, if I put a couple inches of lift on the truck, the Cortex will allow me to calibrate the speedometer.

Merry fucking Christmas Atmosfear's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If your truck isn't lifted, I really don't think you're getting your money's worth. I'm not a car person, so I've never cared at all about "performance" upgrades unless its improved the gas mileage or towing performance. I believe the mileage gains are more pronounced in the NNBS because of the V4/V8 5.3 and 6.0L engines, but even then it's only highway mileage that's going to get much benefit.

The improvements are magnified when you've lifted your truck because 1-2 MPG is going to be a much larger percentage, especially with the speedometer being recalibrated.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you want the couple extra ponies and better hp, yeah it's worth it. Especially since you drive pretty far every week.

But, don't expect to feel too much of a seat-in-the-pants difference.