Thread: My Semester in Intaglio Printmaking

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default My Semester in Intaglio Printmaking

Avant Garden has zero activity for over 3 months, unless you count the faesce plaesce (which I don't). So to (somewhat) validate having this forum I thought it might be interesting to document the art work I do in my Intaglio Printmaking class. I took Intro to Printmaking three or four years and in that class we did both intaglio and lithography (printing with stones). I haven't taken an art class in over two years, so my art skillz are a little rusty.

In case you're wondering, intaglio is a family of printmaking techniques that involve etching an image into a plate (we're using copper and zinc plates), applying ink to the plate, and then transferring the image to a piece of paper using a printing press. There are many different techniques and processes that go into intaglio printmaking, but I won't bore you with the details (yet).
    For more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intaglio_(printmaking)

Today was my first day and the instructor decided we should start off with some really basic stuff to refresh everyone. (Intro to Printmaking is a prereq.) Our first assignment was to do sort of a self portrait using our driver's license photo as a reference. The technique we are using is called drypoint. Basically we use what is called a needle or scribe and draw/etch directly on the plate.

This is just my first proof. I'm not sure how long we'll be working on this assignment, but probably at least two more classes. (This plate is 2.5"x3")

(btw, comments and critiques are welcome, even though most of you fuckers who respond will deride anything/everything I post)

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

that actually looks pretty good, if someone creepy and ghostlike.

the lack of a smile and sparse detailing really give it that impression, but it certainly doesn't look poorly done. I would like to see more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nermy2k View Post
    yeah obviously we'd all suck our alternate universe dicks there was never any question about that
    Quote Originally Posted by Atmosfear
    I don't know if Obama did anything to make that happen, but I do know that he didn't do anything to stop me from blaming him.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

tagliare means "to cut" in Italian.

YOU'RE WELCOME.

PANDAS
    If you don't like them, then get the fuck out.

Quote Originally Posted by Think View Post
    Atheists are quite right

Credits
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I count faesce plaesce
    Quote Originally Posted by Atmosfear View Post
    scarf wasn't man enough to do it so queendork pushed herself down the stairs.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Final printing

I'm ok with this, especially since it's my first image this semester. It's kinda on the boring side, but it's not too bad.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Are you aware of... Dr. Tran?

Might you be a relation of his?

PANDAS
    If you don't like them, then get the fuck out.

Quote Originally Posted by Think View Post
    Atheists are quite right

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

kt that should be your avatar

It's far better than that horrible nun picture you've got now
    Quote Originally Posted by KT. View Post
    simonj can be a real dick sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by gina View Post
    I CAN'T LABI-STRETCH SIMONJ

Credits
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by simonj View Post
    kt that should be your avatar

It's far better than that horrible nun picture you've got now
    I thought that was her
    Quote Originally Posted by Atmosfear View Post
    scarf wasn't man enough to do it so queendork pushed herself down the stairs.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

For your first and with the tool you used I think it's okay. If you had the proper tools I would say that it's flat looking. But even with proper tools I'm sure this is an art form that takes a while to master. (Isn't this the same thing the US currency is done with?) They are done in the negative though and that's super tough.

I think you should continue this art form even after the class is over and show us what you can do in a year.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic View Post
    For your first and with the tool you used I think it's okay. If you had the proper tools I would say that it's flat looking. But even with proper tools I'm sure this is an art form that takes a while to master. (Isn't this the same thing the US currency is done with?) They are done in the negative though and that's super tough.

I think you should continue this art form even after the class is over and show us what you can do in a year.
    Wellimean, I am using the proper tools for drypoint. Also you aren't really working "in the negative". The line you scratch is what becomes dark. You are however working a mirrored image and that can be frustrating.

US currency uses a print making technique called engraving. It's sorta like drypoint except the artist uses different types of tools and the type of groove the tools make is a little different.

In drypoint, the tool you use kicks up burrs on edges of all the grooves you make. After about 10 prints, the quality of the prints start to decrease. The burrs get mashed down into the grooves, therefore the grooves hold less ink and that means the lines get lighter. The tools used in engraving don't create burrs; that means engraved plates can be used hundreds of times without affecting the print quality.

btw, I got a C on the assignment, which frankly I deserved. This next print I'm working on will be much better.

A very manly muppet Mad Pino Rage's Avatar
    Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If only photobucket wasn't blocked could I make a substantial comment of any value, but I'm going to assume based on the merit of your scholarly posts and silly humor that you made something incredible.
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
    Albert Einstein

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok I know it's been a while but here's my completed second assignment. I first did a hard ground etching and then I did an aquatint to add more shading. I can post my original etching without the aquatint if anyone is interested.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Very good. You seem to have a little trouble with light source though. Or maybe just lazy? For instance the blocks just above the entrance on the right side look 3d and awesome but then the rim of the entrance looks flat on the outside. Especially the down part on the right side. The circle block above the entrance looks like the light is coming from the other way. The blocks on the left side look flat. The texture on the blocks looks really good. The texture lines on the ground make it look like a hill instead of a level ground and as such make the building look slightly skewed. So perspective is good, but could be better. The inside of the entrance looks like the light is coming from the right where as the outside of the tower it is coming from the left. I could be wrong about that though, maybe it's a reflective source. Overall I'd say you did a great job especially with this medium.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the feedback. I'm pretty bad with cross-hatching so that's probably why the building looks a little skewed. I do agree that the lighting inside the bell tower is a little wonky but I worked from a photograph so I'm sure I got the basics of it correct.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd also like to see how you did the texture part on the blocks. They look really good.

I'm not good with cross-hatching either. I much prefer smudge and erase with pencil.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh and here is a drawing I did a few years ago using graphite pencil.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

that's pretty rad

I've always assumed you had zero artistic abilities

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I used to draw a lot more when I was young. It's hard to find time to do it now. I totally zone out while drawing and with kids running around it breaks concentration.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Atomic, that is really good.

I've always been most interested in graphite drawing more than anything else and I would like to see more of your stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nermy2k View Post
    yeah obviously we'd all suck our alternate universe dicks there was never any question about that
    Quote Originally Posted by Atmosfear
    I don't know if Obama did anything to make that happen, but I do know that he didn't do anything to stop me from blaming him.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

don't you dare hijack my thread Atomic

ಠ_ಠ

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm not. I only posted that one to add some credibility to me critiquing your stuff.

Coq I don't have much to post. Unless you want to see a bunch of unfinished stuff. I like flat art. Not just pencil but anything that takes your eye and warps it to see what the artist saw. None of that swirl or splatter crap though. I'm sure it was fun but calling it art is stupid unless it was done by a 3 year old. Pencil is pretty cool.

Anyone wanting to learn I recommend Drawing on the right side of the brain by Betty Edwards. Really good book.

Also kt just so you know something wierd about me... I see faces. Like people see a dog in the clouds... Except I see them in every thing that has a random pattern. I need to start taking the time to draw them. I could easily fill a sketch book. So that's my wierd artistic thing or maybe just wierd.
    Last edited by Atomic; 10-12-2011 at 07:57 PM. Reason: proof read...