Thread: GPS Navigation Systems

Merry fucking Christmas Atmosfear's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default GPS Navigation Systems

So I'm in the market for a GPS system for my car. I've been using the integrated OnStar system, but it costs me an extra $10/month and I don't feel that I get that much value out of it (I only really use it when I don't know where I'm going because it interrupts the CD player so frustratingly, not to mention having to deal with people is increasingly less convenient and more frustrating.) I figure if I spend $250-$350 on a nav unit and it last 3 years, I'll get more use for less money.

I'm looking for a model with the following characteristics:

Must have:
    --Slim profile. I'm putting this in the corner of the windshield, not the center. I don't want one of the big, clunky, old-style Garmins.
    --Bluetooth with quality output. One of the most frustrating parts of an OnStar vehicle is that there's no Bluetooth support at all. Ideally, I'd like it to sync with my address book automatically.

Would prefer:
    --Text-to-speech, especially entering addresses.
    --Solid GUI with no interface hangs or freezes.

If anyone has any experience or information, I'd appreciate it.

BANNED
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would not recommend a GPS system for you.. I would recommend you save your $350.00 and continue to allow us to laugh @ you uncontrollably everytime you get lost . However if you must ruin our fun I will get on the internetz & see what I can't find for you.. Kk?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have a Y chromosome and a map, I don't get lost.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What about a phone with GPS. I'm going that route eventually. It'd be nice to have everything in one nice little easily lost package.

BANNED
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic View Post
    What about a phone with GPS. I'm going that route eventually. It'd be nice to have everything in one nice little easily lost package.
    Isn't that the truth!

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic View Post
    Any phone + Google Maps = win.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have a phone with GPS. That doesn't meet the requirements.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cell GPS sucks. I have TomTom 7 on my phone and absolutely never ever use it. It takes forever to get a lock and requires you to pay way too much attention to your lap/whatever while driving due to the relatively small screen.

That said, I've been extremely impressed with TomTom's dash-mount units. I have a TomTom One XL in my work car and we have a Go 930 in my finance's car. I've had Garmin Nuivis, Magellens and some other no-brand units, and they're all put to shame by the TomTom. Either the One XL or Go will to tts street names, but you can talk to the go to enter addresses et al.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah I was looking at the Go 920, which from my understanding is effectively the same as the Go 930.

One review I read listed both Magellan and Garmin Nuvis units as having better routing and more accurate trip time estimations. The test they used was a little bit suspect; have you noticed anything?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Don't get a Magellan. Seriously. My brother and I both got them for Xmas last year. Mine died on me in Ft. Lauderdale FL 7 months after I got it. It just...wouldn't turn on. My brother's crapped out a couple months after. And a call to Magellan's customer service center? LOL funny. That's an oxymoron.

I have a Garmin Nuvi 200 and while it doesn't have all the features you want I'm sure something in the Garmin line does. I'd stick with that.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Atmosfear View Post
    Yeah I was looking at the Go 920, which from my understanding is effectively the same as the Go 930.

One review I read listed both Magellan and Garmin Nuvis units as having better routing and more accurate trip time estimations. The test they used was a little bit suspect; have you noticed anything?
    I haven't used a GPS unit that didn't have at least occasional misroutes, but TomTom seems to be pretty good. I can't remember the last time it was off by any notable margin, but I do occasionally get routes that are off by 10-20 ft., which is negligible imo. You can also submit errors and they do seem to get fixed - but I'm sure other brands have this as well.
    Last edited by ephekt; 10-29-2008 at 06:44 PM.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In this test they actually had the TomTom requiring a U-turn and it ended up arriving on the wrong side of the street. That kind of behavior seems very odd to me, and I can't imagine it's typical, but I was just curious.

And to Cryptic: I wasn't keen on Magellan because I don't think they are as intuitive as some of the other brands, but that's interesting because my father and I have had a Magellan GPS for 8 or 9 years that we use for hunting. I guess it's a more basic purpose (and its certainly more primitive than anything that's ever been offered for a car) but we haven't had any problems with it.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, Magellan was the "first" GPS - but they suck now.