Thread: This is my boomstick!

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default This is my boomstick!

Just a quick post about my newest implement of destruction. I recently had a birthday and, coupled with a long overdue G.I. Bill payment, used it as an excuse to make an impulse buy. Since moving to Louisiana I'd bought exactly two guns--the Marlin Papoose and the S&W 19--so I decided it was time to add another to the collection. My daughter was bugging me about going to Bass Pro Shops for a coat and I hadn't bought from a big box store in almost fifteen years, so I figured what the heck.

I ended up going with the Stoeger Coach Gun. Side-by-side, blued steel, wood stock, and an all-around nice little piece for amusement or more serious matters. In keeping with my continuing transition to "old man" guns, it adds yet another firearm to my defensive arsenal as well.

Speaking of old man guns, that transition has been steady since I joined the Army. First I got rid of my "cool" guns--the FAL, HK91, and MAK-90--as well as the upper for my AR (which has yet to be replaced). I started feeling much more confident in my bolt actions for personal use; though I admit that the semi-autos have their place on the battlefield, they are hardly needed in most cases as a carry-around gun for use in the woods or property. Then I bought the revolver, and have rarely carried an automatic over .32 ACP since. Now the Winchester 1200 Riot has some stiff competition from a modernized version of the weapon its ancestor (the M1897 Trench Gun) replaced.

On the non-firearm side of things, I'm currently taking a break from college to focus on preparing for a move to Georgia. I've earned 42 semester hours over the past year with a 3.91 GPA (straight A's for the first eight courses, then a B+; my last two courses saw me with A- grades due to an emergency) and need only 24 semester hours to earn my BS in Criminal Justice. Not too bad for an Infantry NCO who had little desire to earn a "piece of paper" a couple of years ago. I only wish I had been more proactive back then as I would be in a graduate program now.

Recruiting is almost a thing of the past. Short of a last minute witch trial, I've managed to survive without losing rank, integrity, or even being threatened with serious punishment. I decided a few months ago to focus on professional development and hope to return to my job as a much better non-commissioned officer. Going hand-in-hand with the civilian education and other self-development is the potential for promotion. Next year will find me spending literally half of my career in my current pay grade...time to get to the next level.

I'll try to log in more than once a month now that school is on hold. Take care.

Edit: Oh, and a link to some shots of a gun similar to my newest acquisition: http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Army_of_Da...eger_Coach_Gun.
    Last edited by fm2176; 10-30-2011 at 04:26 PM.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Those Stoeger Coach Guns can be great tools. I used one for a time shooting sporting clays, and did pretty well with it.
    Green is the new Red.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I had a coworker several months ago who did some hunting (mostly deer hunting, I think), and he mentioned that one of his favorite shotguns was a Stoeger o/u.

So you're going into criminal justice, eh, FM? Are you interested in an LE career or something like that?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crunker View Post
    I had a coworker several months ago who did some hunting (mostly deer hunting, I think), and he mentioned that one of his favorite shotguns was a Stoeger o/u.

So you're going into criminal justice, eh, FM? Are you interested in an LE career or something like that?
    I can't say that I will definitely be going into the CJ field after military retirement. I'm mainly looking to knock out an undergraduate degree for professional advancement and to begin a graduate program to better my prospects post-retirement. Criminal justice happens to interest me, but 10-20 years is a long time from now. I could get injured or worse, become physically or emotionally incapable of doing the legwork associated with many LE jobs, or become vastly overqualified for an entry level job. Right now I do not foresee wanting to become a "rookie" cop after retiring as a senior Infantry NCO in my forties. Then again, things change, and my attitude may be vastly different when the time comes.

It all comes down to capabilities, qualifications, compensation, and above all else, personal desire. I could see myself doing anything from working a parts counter at a car dealership, teaching at a local high school, or serving as a deputy sheriff to becoming a store or service manager, running for a CJ-related public office (Sheriff, Marshal, Police Chief, etc), or starting a security business. If I want to kick back and wind down after the Army, I'll do it--the house will be nearly paid off and I should be mostly out of debt, so long as I don't squander my money. If I want to make six figures in addition to retirement income, I'll try my best to do so.

The best thing about being open minded and a "jack of all trades" is the flexibility that comes with them. Doors may shut, but there will always be some that remain open.