Thread: The Immortals [2011] - Do you like your splattering blood effects in 2D or 3D?

A very manly muppet Mad Pino Rage's Avatar
    Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cool The Immortals [2011] - Do you like your splattering blood effects in 2D or 3D?

Info
    Running Time 1hr50min
    Rated R
    Classics, Action & Adventure

Plot Synopsis
    Visionary director Tarsem Singh (The Cell, The Fall) transports us in this epic tale of treachery, vengeance and destiny in Immortals, a stylish and visually spectacular 3D action adventure. As a power-hungry king razes ancient Greece in search of a legendary weapon, a heroic young villager rises up against him in a thrilling quest as timeless as it is powerful.

The brutal and bloodthirsty King Hyperion (Mickey Rourke) and his murderous Heraklion army rampage across Greece in search of the long lost Bow of Epirus. With the invincible Bow, the king will be able to overthrow the Gods of Olympus and become the undisputed master of his world. With ruthless efficiency, Hyperion and his legions destroy everything in their wake, and it seems nothing will stop the evil king's mission.

As village after village is obliterated, a stonemason named Theseus (Henry Cavill) vows to avenge his mother, who was killed in one of Hyperion's brutal raids. When Theseus meets the Sybelline Oracle, Phaedra (Freida Pinto), her disturbing visions of the young man's future convince her he is the key to stopping the destruction. With her help, Theseus assembles a small band of followers and embraces his destiny in a final, desperate battle for the future of humanity. Immortals is produced by Gianni Nunnari (300), Mark Canton (300) and Ryan Kavanaugh (The Fighter).

Cast

Ratings
    IMDB Ratings: 7.0/10 from 6,313 users
    Metacritic Metascore: 47/100
    Rotten Tomatoes Tomatometer: Reviewers 37% - Audience 75%

Youtube Trailer
    Immortals - Official Trailer HD

Links
    Official Website
    http://www.immortalsmovie.com/splash/
    IMDB Listing
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1253864/
    Wikipedia Entry
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immortals_%282011_film%29
    Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-I...35169239896603
    Rotten Tomatoes
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/immortals_2011/
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
    Albert Einstein

A very manly muppet Mad Pino Rage's Avatar
    Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I half-expected a film similar to 300 especially in the way the story plays out. I don't know if I would have been disappointed if it did, but I'm glad it didn't. As much as I enjoy blood and guts action and violence in glorious ultra-detail splattering over the scenery, I really did like the characters and the story. I really liked Theseus and his journey abroad and within. He's a wholesome character that wasn't sappy. He wasn't so shallow nor too deep to leave me with any bad impressions. He was a really likable hero. Then you have King Hyperion, played by Micky Rourke, and throughout the entire movie I couldn't shake the resemblance of Ivan Vanko from my mind. Still, King Hyperion and his assembled cast of fearsome and elite warriors and his army were nothing short of intimidating. Thankfully, Theseus is supported by a beautiful oracle, played by the beautiful Frieda Pinto, the Greek Gods including the two-faced Zeus, and several supporting characters who don't live long enough to continue their backstory. John Hurt definitely gets a mention for not only playing trainer and adviser to Theseus but also for just being an old school British actor with decades of film and theater under his belt.

Overall, the movie is just a good story and worth watching. Great action interspersed with good storytelling (credits to the ancient Greeks), a mostly unknown but good cast, and nice but not impressive visuals. As of this moment, I don't have the luxury of watching the film in 3D, but when I get back I think I could this film another go just for that.
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
    Albert Einstein

Merry fucking Christmas Atmosfear's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I heard this is an OK movie if you hate Greek mythology

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Story was so-so, action was mega awesome, and I'm a fan of Greek Mythology. Athena was sexy as hell