Thread: Toys from Tulsa

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Toys from Tulsa

I just got back from Wanenmacher's Tulsa Arms Show with a couple of new toys. I basically went to help a friend purchase some investment grade Winchester Rifles. He bought 11 rifles and spent nearly 20K, being that I'm a working stiff my haul was nowhere near his in quantity or quality.

I picked up a rifle for my "poor mans battle rifle" project. A Remington 742 .30-06, and a couple of high capacity magazines. I mounted an old scope on it that was laying around. I will be taking it out this weekend for a function test. I plan on refinishing the stock with your basic dull military linseed oil finish and duracoting the metal flat black. I also want a receiver sight rather than a scope and I need to make some sort of protection for the front sight, either a hood or some ears.

I also picked up a S&W Model 27, large frame .357 Magnum for deer season this year. The frame was drilled and tapped for a scope and then they mounted a $20 scope on S&W's top of the line revolver so I got it for a song. I will replace the POS scope with an old Leupold I have in my safe.

And finally a couple of toys to play with down at the cabin. A Cold Steel Kukri Machete and a SOG Fusion Hawk. My old Machete was confiscated by one of my cabin buddy's so i needed one for around the yard, and the spike hawk was just for fun.
    Last edited by smith357; 11-17-2011 at 06:13 PM.
    Green is the new Red.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I love the kukri. I wished I had one. How does the CS one feel in your hand? The last machete I purchased left me jaded. Well it was a cheapo.

My buddy says a 700 dollar gun with a 100 dollar scope on it makes it a 100 dollar gun. So you need to take that scope off the 20 dollar pistol lol.

Love the rifle, I'd put a bigger scope on it. Maybe one with risers so you can use the steel sights?

Credits
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Tulsa is like the gay capital of Oklahoma (after Norman).
    Quote Originally Posted by Atmosfear View Post
    scarf wasn't man enough to do it so queendork pushed herself down the stairs.

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU Anonymous D's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

That 742 is awesome. How many rounds does it hold?

How do you like the SOG?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nermy2k View Post
    roses are red,
    violets are blue,
    deathmaster numbers,
    i'm gonna rape you

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
    I had a dream

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've been to Robbers Cave in Oklahoma. Sponge you live anywhere near there?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic View Post
    I love the kukri. I wished I had one. How does the CS one feel in your hand? The last machete I purchased left me jaded. Well it was a cheapo.

My buddy says a 700 dollar gun with a 100 dollar scope on it makes it a 100 dollar gun. So you need to take that scope off the 20 dollar pistol lol.

Love the rifle, I'd put a bigger scope on it. Maybe one with risers so you can use the steel sights?
    Not sure about how it works but the Kukri feels pretty good so far, I have yet to hit anything with it.

I have a scope for theS&W I just have dig it out of the bottom of the safe.

I'm not fond of field rifles that depend on glass or batteries to work, I have found a reciever sight and will most likly ditch the scope.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous D View Post
    That 742 is awesome. How many rounds does it hold?

How do you like the SOG?
    I picked up two ten round magazines, one plastic (pictured) and one steel. I need to funtion test them both then I will buy 9 more of the ones that work best. I figure 100 rounds of .30-06 sould get me through the day.

I have not used the SOG yet so I really can't comment on how it functions.
    Green is the new Red.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The 742 looks brutal. Smith, do you know enough about the Ruger Mini 14 to compare the two rifles?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crunker View Post
    The 742 looks brutal. Smith, do you know enough about the Ruger Mini 14 to compare the two rifles?
    I know enough to know it's apples and oranges. The Mini-14 is far more rugged with a beefier action. The 742 uses a much more powerful caliber and is generally more accurate. You can pick up two 742s for the price of one Mini-14.

I took the 742 out yesterday and ran 50 rounds through it, my shoulder would have never lasted 50 rounds of 06 through my bolt guns. So it shoots pretty soft, with one heck of a kick at the business end.

Oh yeah, taking the 742 apart for a detailed cleaning is a real nightmare that requires special tools and a lot of time and patients. It's something I don't plan on doing ever again.
    Last edited by smith357; 11-20-2011 at 03:41 PM.
    Green is the new Red.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Looks like I forgot that the Mini-14 doesn't come in 30-06 or anything comparable... but what do you mean when you say that the Mini-14 has a much beefier action?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Mini-14 is a scaled down M14 action designed for hard use. The 742 was never designed for any sort of sustained fire.
    Green is the new Red.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nice guns, wish I had them.