Credits
    Trophies
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Favorite Poet/Artist?

Who's your favorite and why?

Poet: Charles Bukowski

I know he's like the hipster go to poet or something these days, but I remember how I found out about him. There was a poster in the bathroom of the flower shop I used to work at, advertising "Love is a Dog from Hell". I went and bought the book of poetry, and loved it. He wrote about being in poverty, and daily life of gambling, drinking and whore mongering. Each book of poetry he wrote has a different set of what they're about, usually related to the title of the book.

Artist: Mark Ryden website

I don't know what I like about him to be honest. For me it's a toss up between him and Dali, and since Salvador is dead, Mark wins the prize. His art is just....off. It's considered Naturalism, which I have no idea what that means, to me it's more surrealistic, but I am not an art critic. I want to get one(or more) of his pieces tattooed, just because I like tats(even though the ones I have are retarded, this will be my first serious one.

Tattoo planned
    lik dis if u cry evertim
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
    yes
    Quote Originally Posted by KT. View Post
    Oh I was expecting a guide to making meth

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I wish I could enjoy poetry on that higher level that a lot of my peers do, but it just seems to escape me. It just seems closed off to me. Even Shakespeare -- I know the plays are works of utter genius, and I enjoy it when I see it done well, and understand what's going on, but it just never quite... speaks to me.

However, I studied the poetry of W.H. Auden in high school, and still remember quite a few of them. Some of his poems really got through to me (The More Loving One, for example, and Musee Des Beaux Arts), but only through repeated, close readings. He had a way with unusual sentiments that just felt right to me, despite the not insignificant presence of Christianity in much of his work.

Merry fucking Christmas Atmosfear's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Shakespeare is my favorite poet. I don't think that needs much explanation.

I like van Gogh a lot, for the mainstream "traditional" art. I like Roy Lichtenstein a lot for his tongue-in-cheek approach to pop art. Of active artists, I like KAWS.
    mutton

RIP hydro

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Atmosfear View Post
    Shakespeare is my favorite poet. I don't think that needs much explanation.
    Have you read his sonnets? Do you have a favourite one, or a favourite play?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't see how anyone can have one favorite artist. I recently took an art history class and it seemed like I had a new favorite artist or piece every week.

Some artists that I really like off the top of my head: Fan Kuan, Jacques-Louis David, Katsushika Hokusai, Banksy, and Dan Luvisi

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Like Gwahir, I could never really get into poetry. There are odd poems that stick out in my mind (The Jaguar by Ted Hughes, I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou come to mind) but no particular poets' ouevre has ever grasped me. Even Bukowski, who I love as a novelist, has always seemed mostly boring with just a few flairs of brilliance but nothing to keep my attention.

I've never gotten too heavily into art either but I've always enjoyed Miro, Degas, Picasso etc. I also love Edward Hooper's work, especially Nighthawks (his most famous and my current desktop background)
    simonj can be a real dick sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by gina View Post
    I CAN'T LABI-STRETCH SIMONJ

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't see how anyone can have one favorite artist. I recently took an art history class and it seemed like I had a new favorite artist or piece every week.[/URL]
    Yeah, I agree with this. My taste in art is similar to my taste in music, in that as it is hugely varied, I find things that appeal to me in one form or another all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by simonj View Post
    I've never gotten too heavily into art either but I've always enjoyed Miro, Degas, Picasso etc. I also love Edward Hooper's work, especially Nighthawks (his most famous and my current desktop background)
    Nighthawks is a great painting, one of the few I remember well from my artist research at school.

One artist that I discovered I liked fairly recently is Durer not just in technique but also from an historical perspective, seeing the 15th century portrayed in such a clear way is pretty fascinating.
    Also very fond of Turner.

As far as poetry goes I would have to echo the statements of everyone else so far. Shakespeare has done some wonderful things.
    Individual poems I like that spring to mind are 'The Listeners' by Walter De la Mare and 'Do not go gentle into that good night' by Dylan Thomas
    Quote Originally Posted by <JANE> View Post
    This post was quite an effort to make, I hope it wont get lost.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've read some of Poe's stuff and I liked it. I'm not too big into poetry.

A favorite painter would have to be Da Vince. But as the others have said. There are a lot of artists who's work is amazing. Brian Duey is a master of graphite.