Thread: I call myself a non smoker, but I'm beginning to wonder how true that is.

can't post; too scared Anonymous's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default I call myself a non smoker, but I'm beginning to wonder how true that is.

When I was 11 years old, I took up smoking cigarettes. I don't know how it happened, but it did. For the first four years or so, it was one or two a day. I never bought my own cigarettes and was given them or paid for them from a friend. After that, as my friends got older, I was able to obtain cigarettes whenever I wanted, and I moved up to about half a pack to a pack a day until I turned 18. During this time period I also dabbled around with a particular green substance.

A few months after I turned 18, and I'll never forget the date: June 2nd, I decided to quit smoking cigarettes permanently. I was having serious conversations with myself about how bad they were, and managed to quit right then and there. Since that date, I have only dragged on a cigarette a single time, the following 4th of July when I was shitfaced.

After quitting, I proudly labeled myself a non-smoker and enjoyed both improved health and confidence. Social situations were awkward for the first two years, but I had never been one of those people who tried to quit and then relapsed a few days later, so my acquaintances saw that I was serious and didn't pressure me into starting up again, which certainly helped.

Fast forward four or so years later. I just realized that on a regular day, I will smoke 1-2 cigarillos or cigars (filled with something besides tobacco). I've been smoking green using this method since I was thirteen and hadn't really thought anything of it. However, recently I've noticed that if I don't use a blunt (tobacco leaf) to smoke the green, I'll be significantly less satisfied than normal.

I finally came to the conclusion, however obvious it may be to you as a reader, that I have been using tobacco leaf blunts as a coping method for years now, and have never truly kicked the tobacco habit. This concerns me. I really enjoy using tobacco leaves, and have always justified it as "green isn't bad for you!", and "the smoke helps you cope but isn't as dangerous", but I'm beginning to think the tobacco leaves alone over time are comparable in damage to smoking cigarettes.

I am going to consider the merit of completely switching from tobacco leaves to paper and glass, because I do not intend to stop using green. I suppose you could say that I'm using this thread as a way to commit and develop a plan to kick the habit once and for all. If anybody has any words of encouragement or advice you'd like to offer me, I would be more than appreciative.

Your pal,
    *aesce

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you really want to save your lungs, have you considered buying a vaporizer? It's supposed to do the least amount of lung damage.

Also good luck. I'm sure you can completely kick the tobacco habit in no time.

calmer than you are dude
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

honestly no doctor would ever advise you to inhale the combusting remnants of any plant.

that being said, blunts as your only source of tobacco is really not that bad. say you smoke 4 to 5 blunts a day. i really doubt that the amount of tobacco or nicotine in that is comparable to even one cigarette. also, isn't it really the additives that are super bad for you, more so than the actual tobacco leaf? Like the tar and rat poison and shit they put in smokes?

Yes, you're totally right that it IS a small amount of tobacco. But honestly, I think it's pretty negligible, because, while you may taste the leaf a bit, it never really gives you the head rush that just one actual cigarette would, even if you smoke that whole blunt yourself.

I guess it basically just comes down to what you are willing to sacrifice for your health, because we all know blunts are a huge comfort. don't get me wrong, I love vapes and pieces, but there's something just so... primal, about loading up a fat bleez and sitting on the front porch with some friends.

If you're willing to forgo ever smoking blunts forever for marginally better health, more power to ya. I don't think I could ever have that much self-control though. But then again I also smoke cigarettes so yeah.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, what KT. said, get a vapourizer, they are the healthiest way to toke up by a long shot.
    I would recommend a magic flight launch box, they are amazing, and small and easy to use. Only problem is the rechargable batteries, but you can get a wall socket adapter now, but only if you live in US I think. I love mine, although I don't use it often enough.
    If you really want to splash out get a volcano. I've toked on one once, and it was one of the best smokes I've had.

And for once, DL talks absolute sense, you're smoking an insignificant amount of tobacco.

Tbh, I'm in a similar position, although I've never smoked cigerettes, I do use tobacco in my joints and bongs and stuff, and I have wondered for a while exactly how much damage it is doing to me.
    I won't be stopping that habit though.
    Last edited by ShitFace; 03-15-2012 at 10:52 AM.
    Andy says:
    prince of persia is more skill than hack and slash
    ShitFace says:
    i dont think skill is a genre of game lol
    Andy says:
    of course it is you have seen the crystal maze havnt you?
    he says what next a skill physical mental?

Blind people don't see black, they see the same thing you see out of your elbow - VengfulScars