Thread: My Car Stereo

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default My Car Stereo

Back in the early days of CD, I was asking about car stereos. I didn't know how much watts I needed to run to a sub in order to be loud enough to fit into the ghetto. Someone told me 150 is healthy, someone else said 600 made his ears bleed. I said fucit, and got a 750 watt Kicker amp and matching sub for about $300 off ebay.

After hand carrying the 15lb amp and 12lb sub on the flight home, I designed (with some help) and built my own box. Here are the in-progress pics:

Wire routing:

Battery Cover:

Amp mounting:

I also painted it, but I cant find the pics online and I'm too lazy to dig them off my hard drive.

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU Anonymous D's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Where does the speaker mount in the box?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Minor detail.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wow, you really took some time to route the wires. In my TA, I just put the power through the firewall and routed it under some plastic and under the carpet. You can't even tell it's there.

Just hope that plastic loom will deter all the snow, mud, and rain that gets under there.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I tried looking for a hole in the firewall to pull it through, curse asian cars that have miniature engine bays.

Good thing I don't snow, mud and rain, huh? No actually there is rain, and I do hope it does not kill my wire. I did the plastic loom, and then wrapped electrical tape (a roll's worth) over it.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What the fuck?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

GL with that. Next time try drilling through the firewall and putting in a rubber grommet, or use one that already exists.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

wtf what? I spent some bonding time with a roll of electrical tape? Yea it was retarded.

I located some existing holes in the firewall, but I couldn't press through (translation: I was a pussy and thought I might tear the grommet). I could have drilled, but I swear there is no room down there to have a clean path at drilling.

I guess you cant see it, but the wire (in the loom, in the electrical tape) is actually in a piece of trim. The trim is not 100% waterproof, but it is generally well covered from rain, splashes, and the like.