Thread: Just got a new phone...

God That Smelled Good linkinkampf19's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Just got a new phone...

So, I'm on contract with my sister and parents under AT&T. The contract was up at the end of last month, so we ended up picking out a batch of new phones. We all had the Razr originally, and we had to pick out another phone for my dad (he had one through his workplace, and he just retired).

So after a brief amount of thought, and not enough actual analyzing, I picked out the Samsung A737 while my parents each chose the Sony Ericsson W580i. My sis, the texter of the bunch, picked out Pantech Slate. Now onto the question(s). We switched our plan from the 1400 Familytalk minutes we originally had to the 700 Familytalk minutes, while adding on the $30 Unlimited Messaging Plan.

So here's what I will ask. Is it possible for me to return my phone (we bought it online through AT&T) at an AT&T store, and replace it with a better, text-friendlier phone, while just paying the difference? To put it in perspective, the A737 was a final cost of $19.99, whereas the phones that I were really looking at are 79.99 final (the Pantech Duo, Pantech Matrix, and Samsung Propel). I'd rather get something that is cheap, but still able to hold its own when it comes to texting. Frankly I just opened the box of the A737, and it's just not feeling right.

Finally, of the three phones mentioned above, what would your personal choice be? Please, if anybody can, delve into what your pros and cons are for each, if you have used them. Review websites can only describe them so far.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would just shell out 200 bucks for the IPHONE!

Really though it is worth it, although you have to pay the 30 bucks a month for the 3G. If you search the nets alot though it will pay itself off the first day.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Frankly, it's enough of a pain trying to get together the $80 for one of the three phones I mentioned above. Plus, I'm not planning to browse the web or anything. Just use a nice text capable phone. I am really leaning towards the Pantech Duo, mainly because, of the three, it has Windows Mobile, and I'm sure there are some nice things I can add onto that. Touchscreens are nice, but I'm not rich, and I'm not the person to gloat. Thanks for the input though.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I still don't have a cell phone, I know I'm behind the times. My cordless phone in my house is good enough, and even that I don't trust. I keep a corded phone in case of a power outage.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I hear you. I miss the days where I could leave the house and not be able to be pestered by someone calling. Sometimes I feel like it's an electronic dog collar. I usually turn it off on the weekends so life is peaceful.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just a heads up, I abandoned my plans to get a Pantech Duo, and am now focusing on a Blackjack II. Same price, more features, and still Windows Mobile. Hopefully it's everything I'm looking for in a phone.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by linkinkampf19 View Post
    Just a heads up, I abandoned my plans to get a Pantech Duo, and am now focusing on a Blackjack II. Same price, more features, and still Windows Mobile. Hopefully it's everything I'm looking for in a phone.
    If you're going to get a blackberry you might as well just get an iphone. Really its so much better. Stop being all cheap and what not. You'll never regret getting it. I promise.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Janglez View Post
    If you're going to get a blackberry you might as well just get an iphone. Really its so much better. Stop being all cheap and what not. You'll never regret getting it. I promise.
    Stop being cheap...? I'm only being cheap because it's what I can afford. And the BlackJack is pushing that envelope. Hello? Starving college student here. Hell, if I had that type of freedom, I'd be on my own by now with a real job.

I didn't make this thread to be told I need an Iphone. I'm looking at a decent, midrange phone that has both a capable phone quality, and a decent qwerty keyboard. I could have gone with what my sister bought, a Pantech Slate, but I really want to try something with a decent OS behind it.
    Last edited by linkinkampf19; 11-08-2008 at 12:35 PM.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hmm, no.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absolution View Post
    Hmm, no.
    You can't argue with these people. They think "Ohh shiny!" and it's the phone from heaven.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My Blackberry Pearl was free with a plan, and I absolutely love it. I'm not willing to drop like $500 on a phone that does the exact same thing I do with mine now, but looks better while doing it.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hmm, no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomic View Post
    You can't argue with these people. They think "Ohh shiny!" and it's the phone from heaven.
    Thanks guys.

No offense, but can anyone answer my question? I just want to know if anyone here knows if and how you can return a phone you bought through AT&T's online store, and replace it with another phone through that same store. I was told quite briefly about a 30 day grace period at one of their stores, but I was hoping for a firsthand experience.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The iPhone doesn't automatically open new emails when removed from the holster, forces you to use the virtual keyboard and doesn't work with BB messenger. The BB is still superior for business use imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harner View Post
    My Blackberry Pearl was free with a plan, and I absolutely love it. I'm not willing to drop like $500 on a phone that does the exact same thing I do with mine now, but looks better while doing it.
    I'd never want a BB without a full QWERTY.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks guys.

No offense, but can anyone answer my question? I just want to know if anyone here knows if and how you can return a phone you bought through AT&T's online store, and replace it with another phone through that same store. I was told quite briefly about a 30 day grace period at one of their stores, but I was hoping for a firsthand experience.
    Why not just go to the store and ask? I don't really see it being a problem, att gives the customer 30 days to exchange/return whatever, the iphone is 14 days.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks guys.

Pick up the phone and call them. See if they can do it for you. Just make sure you have a backup phone in the meantime, because this could be a 1-3 week process until you get the one you want.

As for the qwerty thing, yeah it'd be nice. But honestly, it's much smaller, lighter, and after a week or two of adjusting it's just fine.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why not just go to the store and ask? I don't really see it being a problem, att gives the customer 30 days to exchange/return whatever, the iphone is 14 days.
    Well I did ask. That's what they said. I just have to pester my mom now to actually go through with the swap (I'm on a family plan). I just think that if we are signed up for unlimited messaging, I might as well get a qwerty phone. Hell, I'm even willing to front the $80 they are asking for on the website (funnily enough, it's $120 in their store).

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I got the verizon boulder recently, and I have to say i love it to death.
    I went in to get a new phone and the first thing i said was "take me to the most durable phone youve got."
    and they showed me the boulder.
    Now, as a joke when I first got it, I literally soaked it in a glass of water (completely submerged) and left it there for 45 minutes and it was completely fine.
    I've dropped it at least 50 times from chest height and it's still relativly unscratched and in good condition.
    Moderatly text friendly, not a keyboard but the keyes are easy enough.
    If I had to recomend a phone, I'd say the Boulder.

If you want a phone thats more text friendly, you want the Envy or sidekick or such.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah... about that... I have AT&T, not Verizon. Thanks, but unless they are cheap and unlocked, it's a no go.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They offer the trial phone period as you asked, so head back to the store, say you changed your mind on the phone and wish to try a different model, provided you only did the contract thing like a few weeks ago. They aren't going to turn you away, they want your monies.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Now, as a joke when I first got it, I literally soaked it in a glass of water (completely submerged) and left it there for 45 minutes and it was completely fine.
    Why the fuck would you do that? If it didn't work you would of just lost all your monies because warranties don't cover water damage...

Overall you seem like a pretty smart kid.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tekk View Post
    They offer the trial phone period as you asked, so head back to the store, say you changed your mind on the phone and wish to try a different model, provided you only did the contract thing like a few weeks ago. They aren't going to turn you away, they want your monies.
    Oh, this service renewal agreement thingy just happened last week. I'm just antsy because I have a phone I don't like, I'm not gonna use it on the chance that I do something wrong with it, and that I just want the phone I'm willing to pay more money for.

Anyway, I'm hopefully going to get all of this sorted out within the next few days. Anyone here have any personal stories about phone atrocities and the like?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quick update...

The swap of phones went flawlessly at the AT&T store. I am now the proud new owner of a Blackjack II. Nothing beats playing Mario 3 on a smartphone.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why the fuck would you do that? If it didn't work you would of just lost all your monies because warranties don't cover water damage...

With phones that are "waterproof" yes it does.
    I'm not about to go and waste a good phone like that.