Thread: So I learned something about my old man.

Take orally. no_brains_no_worries's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default So I learned something about my old man.

Dear old dad is pushing 65 and has spent the majority of his life in the army and the army reserves. Despite having spent so many years in the army he hardly spoke of any of his experiences while he served, other then the odd story about a friend he served with. Now until recently all I knew about my pop's service years is this: He joined when he was 18, he served in the special forces and reached corporal rank, was active in Vietnam, and was trained as a paratrooper in the reserve.

Well now that he is older, he shares a bit more about his army days. I was more then surprised about some of the things he told me!

At 24 he was to be shipped out with a bunch of friends to Nam but at the last minute he was called back for a special assignment. Apparently he was reassigned to hunt down "Undesirables" in the army because, thanks to the draft in Nam, a lot of people were getting sent to the front lines who didn't belong there. When I asked him what that meant, he just said he was a glorified MP, which he hated because he had to do a lot of paper work and dig into the backgrounds of enlisted and drafted soldiers.

Turns out he was rather lucky because of the ten friends who left for Nam, only five of those came back and all of them were maimed in some way. From stepping on landmines to getting gunned down in a helicopter, all of his buddies were pretty much wiped out. My mom told me later that my dad feels really guilt about not being there with his buddies, as if he might have been able to save them. He still writes letter to one of his friend Reeve's widow, who was a mother of four when her husband was shot down.

Well anyway, I asked him what it really meant to be a glorified MP. As it turned out, it meant that he was kinda like a bounty hunter in the Army. Undesirables were people who were drug addicts, alcoholics, unfit, psychos who wanted to kill, people who had a prison rap sheet, and gays (Homophobic USA). During his years in the service he tracked down two rapists, one who got stationed in France and fled, plenty of druggies (not only recreational users but people who helped smuggled drugs across the borders using soldier status) and a couple gays. The only thing he felt bad about was discharging the gays because he said "One of them had more patriotism in his left thumb then most Americans had in their entire bodies."

But anyway, this was just an interesting story I wanted to share with you all. I guess its really true that you need to get to know your parents before your gone (like I said, my old man is getting up there in the years and who knows when he might pass on?). What's learned might surprise you and give you a little more respect for your folks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzy View Post
    He came to the states for his birthday and now he's going home in a body bag. That's what you get for sending your child to Utah.
    Quote Originally Posted by raghead View Post
    i would have whipped out my dick in that situation
    Quote Originally Posted by KT. View Post
    News flash, guys can't get pregnant from vaginal sex either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Atmoscheer View Post
    But what is their policy on winning the hearts and minds through forcible vaginal entry?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Interesting. [What's patriotism? Does that still exist?] I'm glad you had a chance to get to know these things about your dad. Gives you a deeper glance into the lives of those who raised you.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm actually shocked that no_brains made an interesting post that was actually worth reading.

PANDAS
    If you don't like them, then get the fuck out.

Quote Originally Posted by Think View Post
    Atheists are quite right

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sycld View Post
    I'm actually shocked that no_brains made an interesting post that was actually worth reading.
    Ah, it warms my heart to hear that especially from an infamous troll.
    He came to the states for his birthday and now he's going home in a body bag. That's what you get for sending your child to Utah.
    But what is their policy on winning the hearts and minds through forcible vaginal entry?

BANNED
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by no_brains_no_worries View Post
    Well stated. Good for you on getting to know the old man a little bit better.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When you say hunt down do you mean kill?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShitFace View Post
    That's what I thought at first, but he mentions that he only issued Discharges. Which is pretty unfortunate, because they were probably Less Than Honorable and those guys didn't even have the choice to join the military in the first place. A Less Than Honorable Discharge can potentially ruin your life.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShitFace View Post
    No, just track them down though he was given the OK to use any means necessary to bring one of the rapists back to be court marshaled (apparently the guy not only had a thing for chicks, but also was accused of raping a fellow officer).

But a dishonorable discharge was almost like a death sentence I guess. Businesses were allowed to look up your service records (I'm not sure if they can still do that) and could refuse to hire you. On top of that, this was during the red scare so being discharged branded you a commie as well.

BANNED
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Most people in the military have interesting stories about their life.

My father was a POW. I love listening to his stories.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wut I'm an infamous troll now?

Holy shit the internet has turned me into Captain Hassle D:

I hope I don't become fat

PANDAS

Atheists are quite right

A very manly muppet Mad Pino Rage's Avatar
    Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wish I knew more about my dad. I can only offer speculation that many of his golf trips are coverups, and he makes my mom work for her own spending money.
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
    Albert Einstein

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

But a dishonorable discharge was almost like a death sentence I guess. Businesses were allowed to look up your service records (I'm not sure if they can still do that) and could refuse to hire you.
    It's still the same. Only difference is that you're not drafted to serve. That's rather insane, drafting someone and then dishonorably discharging them for, say, being gay when they didn't choose to serve in the first place.

Is that what happened, really?

PANDAS

Atheists are quite right

Merry fucking Christmas Atmosfear's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My father never talks about his military service. Maybe he would if I had gone to West Point like he wanted.

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU Anonymous D's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I love hearing old war stories. Tell your dad thanks for serving.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, it never hurts to listen to your parents before they are gone. My dad was "plain Jane" Infantry, like my brother and myself, but it was still interesting listening to his stories of humping a bazooka and M1911 around in post-war Korea, sleeping in tents trying to stay warm in the late '50s. So far this year, he has cut everyone off, and has only spoken to me once since January, still more than he has talked to my brother or sister.

As for dishonorable discharges, they are not very common nowadays, but those or a bad conduct can still put a hurting on a person. Takes quite a bit to get one, but once you do, you might as well resign yourself to running the fry station at McDonalds. Everyone I have seen get discharged, from pattern of misconduct to homosexual to druggie has gotten at worst an other-than-honorable.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sycld View Post
    It's still the same. Only difference is that you're not drafted to serve. That's rather insane, drafting someone and then dishonorably discharging them for, say, being gay when they didn't choose to serve in the first place.

Is that what happened, really?
    The one gay guy he was talking about was enlisted and had been serving for about six years. I think he even did a tour in 'Nam. How messed up is that?