Thread: Anyone else here collect records?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Anyone else here collect records?

Just wondering whether anyone else on this forum collects records, I just picked up a few today, got myself On Avery Island and In the Aeroplane Over the Sea by Neutral Milk Hotel.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yep. Got a rare Wellwater Conspiracy 7" and LP a few days ago.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I used to. Before I could download songs from many more different artists than I could ever buy the real copies of.
    quotes from the internet

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm not trying to flame here, but from what I've seen it seems to be mostly teenage girls that buy records, and don't actually listen to them, its just a fashion thing.

Why don't people just buy cd's and download music? I can understand wanting a hard copy of the music, but surely in todays world a CD is far better. It just seems that people who collect records are people who want to look unique by being "retro"..

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU Anonymous D's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Only records I collect are old one. I have a bunch of Rush, Boston. KISS, etc.

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    I'm not trying to flame here, but from what I've seen it seems to be mostly teenage girls that buy records, and don't actually listen to them, its just a fashion thing.

Why don't people just buy cd's and download music? I can understand wanting a hard copy of the music, but surely in todays world a CD is far better. It just seems that people who collect records are people who want to look unique by being "retro"..
    well they sound different due to the nature of the formats, and audiophiles are ones who notice the difference

some vinyls have songs not on their cd counterparts, or have different versions or mixes, and that's an incentive to buy them
    you could rip vinyl but then some quality is sacrificed

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Records sound better, not to mention CDs also have something called CD rot that even though you take perfect care of it can still occur, records dont. I prefer the sweet sound of vinyl to the cold sound of digital any day, not to mention album art 12x12 is a lot better, or if you get In Bocca Al Lupo by Murder by Death you get a dual LP that folds out to be 7 foot long. Its definitely not a fashion statement by any means to have records.

Looking forward to tax time, probably going to buy me either a nice Technics turntable, or possibly a Rega P1

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mutton View Post
    well they sound different due to the nature of the formats, and audiophiles are ones who notice the difference

some vinyls have songs not on their cd counterparts, or have different versions or mixes, and that's an incentive to buy them
    you could rip vinyl but then some quality is sacrificed

I'm certainly an audiophile, but wasn't aware vinyl was better than CD - at 16bit CD quality, not ripped mp3 of course.

I guess lossless and studio monitors is high enough quality for my ears.

You raise a good point about alternate mixes and off album versions.
    Hope I didn't offend, I was just interested.

BANNED
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I collect records. They're more like collectables for me. I have a USB turntable that I use to listen to them and have ripped some old jazz LPs into mp3s with it.

A lot of the heavy bands that I listen to press their albums on limited edition vinyls that are colored, or picture discs and such. I think they're neat.

There are some jazz artists that I really like that only pressed some of their albums in vinyl, so I buy those.

My favorite band for records is Genghis Tron, they always press neat things.

Another reason is because the album art is a lot more clear and they usually have neat little details to them you can't see on a tiny CD cover.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just picked up the new 7 inch split of William Elliott Whitmore and Murder by Death covering a song by eachother, and I also picked up Murder by Death - Who Will Survive, and What Will Be Left of Them on vinyl. Its a 10 inch dual LP on silver, also came with a 7 inch of two live songs, one from Germany and one from a radio station in Montreal.