Thread: PS3 and Surround sound

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default PS3 and Surround sound

Need to get them hooked up but not sure what I need. I have a 5:1 surround sound system, but what I didn't expect to see was 3 line out cords (Lime, Black, Orange)

I can use one by putting it into the headphone part on things such as laptops or TV's, but that's just one, obviously.

What the hell do I need to hook it up to the PS3? Really can't find what I need.

Will post pictures if needed.

Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Fry
    Oh don't look at me like that, you fucking pig eyed sack of shit

Strangle Hazard thank mr skeltal's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

A picture would help but I am guessing the lime is the 3/8" stereo cord you'd plug into a laptop/headphones port, the orange is coax and the black might be the low frequency cord for direct subwoofer connection. No matter what they are though, your speakers aren't going to hook directly to your PS3 for 5.1 unless you want just stereo sound in which you can get a RCA->1/8" converter but you'll lose the channel information I'm pretty sure. Speakers are not made with the idea of hooking directly to A/V sources, you will need a receiver or if you have a newer TV you can plug in the RCA or (ideally) HDMI output from a PS3 to your TV, which should be able to output coax audio, which would be labeled as "digital audio out" on your tv. If you TV doesn't offer that you will need to pick up a receiver at Best Buy or something, expect to spend $100-200 for an entry-level one. Check to see how many watts your speakers put out and at what ohms to match it up to a receiver that can pump that power but odds are you just have computer or basic home theater speakers so you're looking at about 40-50w per channel or less which most all receivers can power.

edit: if you do get an hdmi cable, buy one from monoprice.com or amazon or something, their true cost is about $2-5, not the $40-80 they charge at retail stores. Just buy by length, there is no discernible difference between generic cables and "omg super gold plated" cables

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You'll need a receiver with optical audio in if you want to directly wire the PS3 to the speakers.

Or if your receiver has digital coax then you'll need to hook the PS3 up the TV via HDMI then use the coax audio out (assuming the tv has it) and hook that into the receiver.

If you have neither you're shit outta luck.

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU Anonymous D's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Only way to directly connect is VIA HDMI or Optical out.

I have mine hooked up to my TV via HDMI, then the TV hooked to the surround sound VIA regular crappy red and white connections.