Thread: Cellphone for internet on PC

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Cellphone for internet on PC

Anyone do this? I found a guide to connect my phone to computer with bluetooth in ubuntu. It had the phone dial up so I may try it. I use tmobile so what do they do give you a username/pw and the like?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I went ahead and did it. Seems okay so far. A little tricky getting it working. Still can't get it to work under gnome-ppp just because the init command won't stay changed.

Got it working with gnome-ppp. User error.
    Last edited by Atomic; 11-23-2008 at 12:18 PM.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't know about Ubuntu (lol Desktop Lunix), but in Windows with a WinMo phone, it's just a USB ActiveSync connection. You don't need to dial into PPP because the 'modem' is just acting as a bridge for the 3G connection. I'm on ATT though.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What's the benefit in doing this?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I can't get DSL where I live. Can't get cable where I live. Satellite internet is too expensive for what you get and my dial up connection sucks. It disconnects me all the time and is a real pain in the butt to get anything done on it because of that. I've contacted the phone company many times to repair the lines but as soon as they get here and get a dial tone they leave. I'm getting dial up speeds here but I don't think there is 3G in this area.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you can't get 3G then cellular internet will be useless to you. EDGE is effectively dial up speeds, except with way more latency.

Also, most cellular data packages are limited to 5GB a month, even when sold as "unlimited" plans. My company found this out after Gustav when we had to rely on 3G internet and our laptops for home internet for a few week while power was out.

BANNED
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I use AT&T and have unlimited internet on my phone but since AT&T is doing away with their unlimited plan and putting a 5GB cap on it I will be switching to SPRINT to check out their unlimited plan which will include tv for only 10 dollars more a month.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've done this before on my phone, I stopped after my phone bill had an extra £100 on the end of it for internet usage. I guess it wouldnt be a problem with a decent internet roaming package.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So far the bad thing is my bluetooth dongle. After a good bit of data it stops responding and I have to unplug it, plug it back in and rebond the phone and computer. Is that what I get for buying the cheapest one in the store?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Code:
    atomic@MegaHurtz:~$ ping -c 3 www.google.com
    PING www.l.google.com (74.125.45.104) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from yx-in-f104.google.com (74.125.45.104): icmp_seq=1 ttl=242 time=337 ms
    64 bytes from yx-in-f104.google.com (74.125.45.104): icmp_seq=2 ttl=242 time=307 ms
    64 bytes from yx-in-f104.google.com (74.125.45.104): icmp_seq=3 ttl=242 time=303 ms

--- www.l.google.com ping statistics ---
    3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 2001ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 303.970/316.331/337.130/14.800 ms
    Ping times are horrible but it's still better than some I was getting with dial up.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HopeYouDie View Post
    I use AT&T and have unlimited internet on my phone but since AT&T is doing away with their unlimited plan and putting a 5GB cap on it I will be switching to SPRINT to check out their unlimited plan which will include tv for only 10 dollars more a month.
    "Unlimited data" does not include 3G cards or tethering on any carrier, as far as I know. You might want to check on this before you run up a bill.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

On my phone I just downloaded a program that makes it into a little router. If I want to go on a laptop and have no internet connection (this has happened) I can just run the program and I pick up the wireless on the laptop. I'm on tmobile and I don't have 3g and it wasn't too terrible.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What phone? Can you post more information? My brother in law has ATT and his thing he plugs into his computer is about 3 times faster than dialup. Do you think the bluetooth could be slowing it down? Should I switch to a company that has EVDO or more widespread EDGE?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic View Post
    What phone? Can you post more information? My brother in law has ATT and his thing he plugs into his computer is about 3 times faster than dialup. Do you think the bluetooth could be slowing it down? Should I switch to a company that has EVDO or more widespread EDGE?
    I have the tmobile wing and the program I'm using is called WMWifiRouter.