Thread: Resistance 2

the eagle
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Resistance 2

I just finished the single player campaign for Resistance 2, and let me tell you, it was infuriatingly difficult. I died at least 20 times in each level, which is a huge amount, and I was only playing on 'medium'. I might, MIGHT attempt a 'difficult' run, but I don't know. It was just so frickin'... trial by getting shot. It was fun, though. Really fun. Interesting guns and you get psychic powers for the last 4 minutes of the game.

The multiplayer co-op is brilliant. You choose to be 1 of 3 classes (Soldier - tank, Medic - medic, Spec ops - ammo guys) when you choose a game. Each game is up to 8 people, 8 maps total. The missions take place about a year prior to Resistance 2, and your guys are given randomized objectives out of a pool based on the map, so no 2 games play exactly alike. Every point of damage you deal give you EXP, which levels up your class, up to level 30. Every couple of levels, you unlock a new secondary weapon, and every couple of levels, you qualify to upgrade your equipment with 'gray-tech', in game items found from defeating the boss or sub bosses in each level. Every time you play a level, you get a different piece of intel based on the map you're playing. Some maps have 8, some have 12, which encourages multiple plays to learn all about what you're doing and the back story of the game. It was interesting to hear Specter Team, your 'group', referenced in the main game -- as it turns out, you're doing something integral to the destruction of the chimerans after all, and not just running around like chickens sans heads.

Communication is a must. The soldiers have shields they can deploy, but drain secondary ammo, so it's good to have a spec-ops near by. Other players can hide behind the shields while soldiers fire away with their primary weapons, the chain-gun (called The Wraith) in game. The spec-ops have scoped weapons and are more headshot proficient, while the medics have no acceptable form of direct attack - they drain HP from enemies and convert this into healing energy to heal squadmates.

I've logged around 10 hours into it, and I have a level 10 solider, level 3 medic (after 1 match, the EXP they gain is redonk) and a level 1 spec ops.

Of course, this doesn't touch on the competitive multiplayer, with squad based 60 player maps that are lag free so far. Plus a fun little skirmish mode that has players competing for the same objective.

It's really a great game.

... Way better than Bioshock.

Anyone else play? PS3 only.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Resistance 2 still hasn't been released in the majority of the world. It comes out on thursday in Europe and Australia as far as I know.

So I'll give my impressions then .

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU Anonymous D's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I had the beta, and it was too much like Halo for me.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just bought the game today but haven't touched the single player yet due to the bad things I heard about it. Let me give you my opinions. Multiplayer competitive was okay but nothing special because it really doesn't require skill like COD due to the 60 people. The Cooperative mode is really fun, but it is quite repetitive, sure maybe different objectives but same thing, kill swarms of people and a couple giant things. The Co op mode also doesn't need communication because the game is so ridiciously easy, if you have more than 4 people, you can't lose a mission.

So overall advice, I wouldn't buy it unless you need a quick fix for another shooter. This can be bias though because I also bought Dead Space at the same time. This is also coming from a pretty knowledgeable gamer.

the eagle
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh, you can lose a mission. Easily. I was playing last night with six people, two spec ops who would only throw out ammo packs for themselves, and one medic who thought he could take down Titans on his own. We ALL ended up dead within ten minutes.

If you have four COMPETENT people it's fairly easy to pass missions, but that's if they're good at the whole team-work thing.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MalReynolds View Post
    Oh, you can lose a mission. Easily. I was playing last night with six people, two spec ops who would only throw out ammo packs for themselves, and one medic who thought he could take down Titans on his own. We ALL ended up dead within ten minutes.

If you have four COMPETENT people it's fairly easy to pass missions, but that's if they're good at the whole team-work thing.
    Very true, if you play with dumb selfish people you can fail easily. But say if you have one commited special op, one medic, and one soldier. It's incredibly easy. But then again I played a 3 person co op level and got raped.
    You guys could add me on PSN if you wanna play PSN:butnie

Love's Young Nightmare Nevrmore's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I remember the last level of the single-player campaign in the first Resistance was so eye-bleedingly hard that my parent's wouldn't let me play the game for a few days because of how much I started screaming when I tried to beat it.

Is 2 around that level of difficulty? Because that might be bad for me.

Merry fucking Christmas Atmosfear's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Blonde Box of Rocks' brother has it and brought it home for Thanksgiving. We tried to play co-op with the two of us, but I guess we should've looked for a game online. We had problems with only a soldier and medic. I would give it another shot... I enjoyed it but didn't get deep enough to really judge it. Looked good in 1080x though.

the eagle
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nevrmore View Post
    I remember the last level of the single-player campaign in the first Resistance was so eye-bleedingly hard that my parent's wouldn't let me play the game for a few days because of how much I started screaming when I tried to beat it.

Is 2 around that level of difficulty? Because that might be bad for me.
    No. I never finished the first because the difficulty was just fucking unfair. I finished the single player campaign in around 7-8 hours and I only wanted to quit three times. One was early on, and I had ditched a gun for the wrong gun, another was... The plantation house, which is in the last mission, and another is the part right before the last section of the last mission, where they just fucking hurl everything at you. But it's a little more forgiving. No more health bar, your life auto regens after a few seconds.

Love's Young Nightmare Nevrmore's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MalReynolds View Post
    No. I never finished the first because the difficulty was just fucking unfair. I finished the single player campaign in around 7-8 hours and I only wanted to quit three times. One was early on, and I had ditched a gun for the wrong gun, another was... The plantation house, which is in the last mission, and another is the part right before the last section of the last mission, where they just fucking hurl everything at you. But it's a little more forgiving. No more health bar, your life auto regens after a few seconds.
    Well that's good. I'd bet that the amount of time I spent re-playing that last level nearly doubled my total playtime of that god damn game, but I was determined to finish it. Too bad the ending sucked so I was left totally unfulfilled, except for a vague sense of pride that I beat a level that made me even more enraged than the Hades level in the first God of War.