Thread: Transfer Student...when to apply?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Transfer Student...when to apply?

After high school graduation I went to a local university because I had a 2.9 GPA and couldn't get into my university of choice. I am now applying to Michigan State University for the Fall 2009 semester (next year). I'm not sure when to file my application because MSU looks at your high school grades unless you have 28 credit hours. Since my high school GPA isn't too hot, I'd rather wait till the end of this academic year because by then I'll have 30 credits (Plus, right now I have straight A's and I'm guessing I'll have more A's by the end of the year). This is where the problem comes into play. My friend told me that your chances are best if you apply right around now, and that if you wait too long your chances plummet. So what should I do?

Should I...
    Apply when I have 30 credits and risk not being accepted because my application was so late.
    -OR-
    Apply now and hope they don't emphasize my high school grades too much and focus on my flawless university GPA.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nobody has any input?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I transfered once. I think it was after spring classes. I think the answer is do it as soon as possible.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Apply as soon as possible.

I am pretty sure if you want your credits for both the fall and spring semesters to transfer then they will wait and will look at the gpa of the transferred courses. Keep in mind though that not every class transfers from college to college. I don't know if your state offers this but mine has njtransfer.org or .com and it allows you to see what classes will transfer between schools in New Jersey. You don't want to get your credits and then find out that they aren't taking a class and be short and then have them look at your high school records anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by sycld View Post
    Nadia.... I'm gonna rep you so fucking hard.
    http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k5...d/nadiaqs3.jpg

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You could also talk to someone in the admissions office (OTHER than the receptionist, that is) who could inform you better about your particular situation.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I figured out they don't make a decision until both my high school transcript and current university's transcripts are in. I also heard from a couple people that they like to see improvement. So I just applied. Thanks, and wish me luck!

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You might also want to start taking one those ACT or whatever the entrance exams are. That way you could take it a couple times to get a better score.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I took it once without preparation and got a 25. I'm pretty sure that's good enough for MSU.