Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christmas only gets less magical as you grow older

Merry fucking Christmas Atmosfear's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Christmas only gets less magical as you grow older

Am I the only one who has noticed this trend? If you're in that unmarried 18-24 range where you're still largely dependent on your family (or, if you're independent, at least closely tied) and probably still a student, doesn't it seem like every year Christmas is less about spirit and surprise and more of a business negotiation?

I remember being 8 years old and going sequentially through the Sunday paper advertisements for WEEKS on end 2-3 months before Christmas, carefully calculating and recalculating the dollar values of my Christmas list, trying to balance the risk-reward equation so as to ensure my list didn't appear too greedy (a sure fire way to get punished by Santa Dad), but categorize the gifts in such a way as to maximize the odds of getting the biggest gifts with the odds of getting the gifts I really wanted that I thought I had a chance at.

I remember being so surprised by my new bike that I told my parents that there must have been a mistake and the bike was really meant for Dad because it was way too big for me.

I remember getting the Ricochet RC car that had been advertised so awesomely on TV as this fast, agile, unstoppable machine only to find out it was gigantic monstrosity, difficult to control, and easy to derail.

I remember spending days on end in my room listening to all my new CDs backwards and forwards until I had memorized all the lyrics, identified which songs were best, sung them all a thousand times, and put them on repeat until my parents couldn't stand them any longer.

What happened to all the excitement and Christmas magic? I got so much more enjoyment out of $10 toys than I do out of multi-thousand dollar "entertainment systems." I get single items that cost more than my entire Christmas from when I was 8, but I don't enjoy the holiday nearly as much. Maybe its because I haven't received a "toy" in like 5 years (not playing video games will do that to you), but while I want and/or need all of the possessions I gain through Christmas, none of them bring me any of the Christmas magic, the pure unadultered enjoyment of my youth.

Christmas has become a business transaction. It starts with some negotiation on the total value of Christmas this year, usually adjusted for the perceived "necessity" of the gifts I want this year, and largely influenced by the gifts I was promised the year before that I never got around to picking up from the store. After some careful analysis, comparison, and evaluation, we arrive at some mutual limit which establishes the theoretical boundary of gifts this year.

Then comes the negotiation regarding the timing of purchases and their uses. Why should I wait till Christmas to use _____ when I could obviously use it next weekend on this trip? Let me order this one, okay, so it doesn't get screwed up? Should I ship this to your house so you can wrap it or my house so I can use it?

By Christmas morning, I've run more cost-benefit analyses and 95% of my gifts are carefully and meticulously selected, ordered, and designed items in order to maximize my take from this year's holiday season. Over the course of the next couple months, the remaining items on my list (the ones designated as "well we promise to get you ____, but it isn't available until February" or "we'll buy that when it's in-season" or "we'll wait a couple months till the credit cards even out") are further evaluated, negotiated, and reassigned. I thought I wanted X, but now I would rather have Y. I'll give up Z and X and get Y instead, okay?

By the end of January, I have more loot than ever before, with nearly 100% of my list fulfilled or contracted for fulfillment, and yet I haven't enjoyed the gift-giving season at all. It's been an stressful exercise and none of the loot seems to ease the stress. What the hell has this holiday become?

This year I'm gonna buck the trend. Buy me some rollerblades.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Atmosfear View Post
    Am I the only one who has noticed this trend? If you're in that unmarried 18-24 range where you're still largely dependent on your family (or, if you're independent, at least closely tied) and probably still a student, doesn't it seem like every year Christmas is less about spirit and surprise and more of a business negotiation?
    Dude

I remember being 8 years old and going sequentially through the Sunday paper advertisements for WEEKS on end 2-3 months before Christmas, carefully calculating and recalculating the dollar values of my Christmas list, trying to balance the risk-reward equation so as to ensure my list didn't appear too greedy (a sure fire way to get punished by Santa Dad), but categorize the gifts in such a way as to maximize the odds of getting the biggest gifts with the odds of getting the gifts I really wanted that I thought I had a chance at.
    This IS a business negotiation

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No, not really. It was a cost-benefit analysis (which added to the fun of Christmas) but since I had no real control over what my parents purchased, and no way of knowing what they would select from the list, there was still a mystique attached to the season. I wrote an entire essay about Mortal Kombat and the various reasons why it was not a dangerous, violent game that would corrupt my childhood (coincidentally, the essay was almost entirely incorrect.) There was a sense of anticipation in the days leading up to Christmas, wondering which gifts were selected and how good of a job I did at prioritizing the list. Now I am calculating dollars and cents and moving on the way I do at the grocery store.

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I haven't gotten a Christmas present since I was thirteen.

Fuck you.
    I hear the voices inside my head. They counsel me. They understand. They talk to me.

Quote Originally Posted by djwolford View Post
    You know, when Tidus points out that you have failed at internetting, it's probably time to go ahead and off yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by gwahir View Post
    pepsi reserves the right to tell cryptic to get out at any time

it's in the CD charter

BANNED
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pepsi View Post

Fuck you.
    That additude gets u spankins from SANTA..

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HopeYouDie View Post
    That additude gets u spankins from SANTA..
    Someone ban him...please?
    I hear the voices inside my head. They counsel me. They understand. They talk to me.

You know, when Tidus points out that you have failed at internetting, it's probably time to go ahead and off yourself.

it's in the CD charter

Prime Minister of Oztraya paulyt's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wrote an entire essay about Mortal Kombat and the various reasons why it was not a dangerous, violent game that would corrupt my childhood (coincidentally, the essay was almost entirely incorrect.)
    No you didn't

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Okay you caught me it was Mortal Kombat II

And it sure was fun on my Game Gear

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

No, not really.
    Yeah I know I just

I just couldn't find the words to say what I was thinking

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well please find them quickly because these buttfucking homos are trying to derail this thread.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In my post high school years (I'm 22 now), my christmases have been half things I need and half things I want. My favorite part is that I don't have to buy them. Like an electric Razor. I don't want to shell out a hundo to buy something that I really don't need. At the same time though, you gotta make sure you get all the necessities, like this: Amazon.com: Movie Quality Genghis Khan Deluxe Adult Costume Size Standard: Clothing@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41gq%2BV56VtL.@@AMEPARAM@@41gq%2BV56VtL

All in all, I know it's pretty cliche, but I do like buying things for other people, especially my little siblings. Actually, I don't like actually buying them, but I like being there when they open my gifts. I get my magical stigma from them.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was under the impression that life as a whole got less magical as you got older. Since my senior year of high school, I haven't asked for anything for Christmas. I feel bad when my parents spend money on me when they should be using that money to go out and do shit.

I loves sausage festival! djwolford's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Indeed it does. I quit celebrating last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toki
    Oh, gives to me opposites werewolves that turns to humans whens the moons comes outs!
    We's not goes downs that dusty roads again!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickles
    Toki is that straight vadka? It's not even noon...

BANNED
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I remember when I was younger, my brother and I would spend hours and hours studying the JCPenny's catalog. We would circle dozens of items and put stars next to the items we really, really wanted. Because I knew my parents only spent about $150 per child, I would make sure all of the starred items would total about $150, thus increasing the chance of getting what I really wanted. My brother put stars next to all of his items.

On Christmas morning, before our parents woke up, we would sort through the presents by size and weight and make educated guesses about what each box contained. Often our mother would try to trick us by placing small items in over sized boxes or by adding a handful of Legos to skew our "listening test".

Over the years, Christmases have become less and less "magical". My brother now asks for money only and any other item must be pre-approved or risk being returned.

I, on the other hand, want Christmas to be full of surprises. But to my dismay, my mother, taking a cue from my brother, has started quizzing me about the items on my list. ("I can only buy you either item X or item Y, which one do you want?" or "Do you want this book in paperback or hardback?")

Since last Christmas though, I don't really want any of my mother's surprise gifts, the gifts that weren't on my wish list. I've come to realize my mother is horrible at choosing presents on her own. She bought me Tupperware and cd jewel cases last year.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Christmas sucks now, there used to be a feeling of anticipation and excitement for christmas throughout the whole month of december back when I was younger. Now I just go to work.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Am I the only one who has noticed this trend?
    Yes, everyone else lives with elves.

On a more serious less Absolution note, I still enjoy Christmas just as much as I did when I was little. Sure, I'm never going to get another Nintendo 64, but the feeling is still there. I do agree with the single part though because if you're alone on Christmas, it's the most depressing day of the year; it only reminds you of how truly alone and depressed you actually are, and it's even worse when you're out buying a gift for your parents and you see couples throughout the mall smiling and holding hands. Thankfully I haven't had to experience that yet but that'll be next year.

You guys seem really focused on the gift aspect, I always loved it because it's so merry and heart-warming/end less Absolution
    Last edited by Absolution; 12-01-2008 at 04:48 PM.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Awwww. He's realizing that capitalism sucks the magic from what are touted as cultural and spiritual affairs.

You'll get the magic back if you stop running c/bas and start making some fucking cookies or something, man. If Christmas is about economic negotiation and you find that to be a negative experience, why not consider Christmas in some other light?

You're halfway to celebrating buy-nothing day with NC and I next year, pinko.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hmm, the business part of the holidays for me begins and ends with Black Friday.

So I take it then that the holidays aren't about stuffing your face with good food and getting slightly (or greatly) inebriated with your loving family that you might not have seen for a while? That's what it's about for me. Now that I'm an adult with an income, the presents have become less and less meaningful except for those rare occasions where the present is unique and has sentimental value.

Even though I am as greedy as the next guy and rip into my wrapped goodies with as much fervor as anyone else, in all honesty I don't care if we exchange presents at all, or if we do, I wouldn't care if they were of extremely modest value. I keep telling my parents I don't want anything for Christmas at all, but damned if they listen to me...

Thankfully, being the poor graduate student I am, I don't have quite enough income for people to expect me to get them anything either...
    Last edited by sycld; 12-01-2008 at 05:10 PM.

PANDAS
    If you don't like them, then get the fuck out.

Quote Originally Posted by Think View Post
    Atheists are quite right

I loves sausage festival! djwolford's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sycld View Post

So I take it then that the holidays aren't about stuffing your face with good food and getting slightly (or greatly) inebriated with your loving family that you might not have seen for a while?
    That is the best part of Christmas.
    Oh, gives to me opposites werewolves that turns to humans whens the moons comes outs!
    We's not goes downs that dusty roads again!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickles
    Toki is that straight vadka? It's not even noon...

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Also, tl;dr.

it's in the CD charter

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU Anonymous D's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

This is how I look at Christmas now.

I have to make sure I dont spend too much money on gifts. Because all the stuff I get is stuff I was gonna probably buy myself anyways. So I just have to make surethat I keep the amount spent and teh amount received close.

Back when I was little and didnt have to buy anyone shit it was just GIMME GIMME GIMME. I miss those days.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Also, tl;dr.
    Negarep the fuck out of this post, team. This type of shit posting doesn't belong in CD.

ollie: I'm not falling for the anti-capitalist bait. I'm perfectly happy with the holidays, they just lost the magic of childhood. Now I appreciate spending time with family more than the act of opening gift and I feel rather nostalgic for the good old days.

And I'll echo a couple other people in that I have become an old fart who enjoys giving gifts that others will enjoy. I always spend hundreds of dollars more on my little sister than on anyone else because I love knowing she will have all the stuff that I wish I had had when I was her age.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And I'll echo a couple other people in that I have become an old fart who enjoys giving gifts that others will enjoy. I always spend hundreds of dollars more on my little sister than on anyone else because I love knowing she will have all the stuff that I wish I had had when I was her age.
    Aww, you're not nearly the asshole as you make your internet-sona out to be.

PANDAS

Atheists are quite right

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Someone ban him...please?
    That's the pot calling the kettle black!
    Quote Originally Posted by KT_ View Post
    Yes.

Yesterday I was playing the Mirror's Edge demo while a dude was eating me out. Mirror's Edge is fucking awesome. I'm excited.
    Quote Originally Posted by victrola View Post
    he may be a faggot but in this case he is correct

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yep... I am 24 now, I live on my own and have a start on my career. Christmas used to be my favorite time of year. I don't mean like "yea I like Christmas best". Come October, it was already on my mind with insane anticipation when I was a kid. The magic goes away with intelligence, logic and maturity.

He is right, I have a PC that I built that costs well over 2 grand when I built it, I play some of the latest and greatest games on it. But it's not NEARLY as sweet as feeling of ripping open that $5.99 Ninja Turtles action figure when I was like 7. I mean COME ON! TURTLES that are god damn NINJAS!

Ahhh.... yesteryear. At least I have all of our old home movies to relive the joy of childhood christmas.
    Quote Originally Posted by DickStivers View Post
    I hope I haven't missed my chance to join MrTroy 4 Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
    I blame Obama. That nigger.
    Quote Originally Posted by benzss View Post
    when mrtroy makes a valid point about your posting, you should probably kill yourself
    This site was always meant to end with a gay gangbang. It's destiny.
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzy View Post
    I don't consider myself a racist, but I fucking hate niggers.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTroy View Post
    Gwahir and I have this little ongoing tiff. He seems to have that with a number of people who think he is a pretentious faggot.
    Quote Originally Posted by hydro View Post
    I'd rather fuck a child

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I dunno...while there's not the same element of surprise as there was when I younger, I kinda like Xmas better now than I did then for a few reasons: I now ask for things I know I'll appreciate and use than the latest cheap ass fad toy that will break in a week, won't perform the way I thought, or that I'll get bored with in 3 days. Also, I now have money to buy others what they will appreciate and use rather than whatever cheap garbage I could scrape up on an allowance.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm not feeling the magic anymore either.
    Christmas got kinda boring since all I ever get is money.
    Not that money is such a bad thing, but it doesn't exactly excite me. Not anymore.
    You know, I make more per month than I receive over christmas.
    Though, I remember last year I was kinda surprised when I opened up a box and found a flat iron.

Well, it still was much more fun when I was a child.
    Everything was more fun. And easier. But I guess, that's how life goes.
    Your expectations and standards grow with you. To a point that can't be fulfilled anymore.
    Actually the only thing that still gets me happy and excited is love.

A very manly muppet Mad Pino Rage's Avatar
    Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

All I want for Christmas is to see my family.
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
    Albert Einstein

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    I'm not feeling the magic anymore either.
    Christmas got kinda boring since all I ever get is money.
    Not that money is such a bad thing, but it doesn't exactly excite me. Not anymore.
    You know, I make more per month than I receive over christmas.
    Though, I remember last year I was kinda surprised when I opened up a box and found a flat iron.

Well, it still was much more fun when I was a child.
    Everything was more fun. And easier. But I guess, that's how life goes.
    Your expectations and standards grow with you. To a point that can't be fulfilled anymore.
    Actually the only thing that still gets me happy and excited is love.
    I make more in one day, maybe two, than I get for Christmas. Most of my family gives cash. You know, 20 bucks here, 10 bucks there. Meh, no fun anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by DickStivers View Post
    I hope I haven't missed my chance to join MrTroy 4 Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
    I blame Obama. That nigger.
    Quote Originally Posted by benzss View Post
    when mrtroy makes a valid point about your posting, you should probably kill yourself
    This site was always meant to end with a gay gangbang. It's destiny.
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzy View Post
    I don't consider myself a racist, but I fucking hate niggers.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTroy View Post
    Gwahir and I have this little ongoing tiff. He seems to have that with a number of people who think he is a pretentious faggot.
    Quote Originally Posted by hydro View Post
    I'd rather fuck a child

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I always look forward to the White Elephant gift exchange that we have. I don't spend much time with my dad's family (actually only Christmas), but almost all of them are pretty well off. Having a gift exchange of only lame ass gifts you got in the past is now my new highlight during Christmas.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Christmas for me was always lame since my birthday is the day before and I'm a twin. The feeling of waking up to opening nothing because it was given to you the day before kinda ruins the moment. I do remember weeks of anticipation of maybe getting gifts on both days that would completely surprise me and writing pages of things my brother and I wanted. Since I was 15, I've only asked for like two things a year and I completely agree with Cryptic about enjoying the gifts now due to being able to truly appreciate them.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Christmas is just another day of the week to me now and I hate it. It sucks growing up, all of the magic just fades away.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In this sense, I suppose we can look at Christmas as being symbolic of childhood in western society. It starts out a beautiful lie, meant to entrance and spark the imagination of the young ones, perpetrated by their guardians who beileve it's cute, and therefore a good thing. At some point, the naivety and illusion have to wear off, as we live in reality, not a fantasy dream world, and the disillusionment is devestating to kids, and indeed adults as well, who seek to live in this fantasy world. In a sense, we still do live said fantasy, either incapable or unwilling to face reality as it is - winter cold and bleak. This is not to say that there is no good thing about such a fantasy, because it also serves as a vehicle for families to unite and spend time together, with many families being so far apart through the year(s).

Regardless though, this kind of behavior is akin to taunting animals by dangling treats before them, only to jerk the sweets away at the last second. We spend all the time crafting this elaborate prank that lasts years and years, supports the notion that greed and handouts are a part of the natural world and the best way to show your love is to spend money on somebody, only to have the magic and beauty of the season disappear as such illusions cannot last in the face of reality; the desire for material things, the notion that one is obligated to spend vast amounts of money based on the time of year and the notion that you are entitled to gifts that are supposed to be given altruistically remain behind. Some choose to recreate the fantasy with full knowledge of reality, and others turn bitter.

Regardless, I never really bought into the 'magic of christmas.' I always enjoyed visiting with family who i didn't see all that often, and who doesn't love getting free shit? But seasonal celebrations and santa claus were always far-fetched, and I never believed in them. Seeing through the illusion spared me the pain of disillusionment (what a crushing disappointment for a child), yet at the same time, as though I was looking in through a window from the outside in, those who buy the image and stagnant mythology seem so blissful, and I suffer a pang of jealousy for that.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In Japan, Christmas is the holiday for adults to celebrate without the kids, but Valentines day is more of a family celebration.

Go figure...

PANDAS

Atheists are quite right

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, I don't get it.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i don't really either... is it suppose to be a play on "too fucking dear?"

because if it is it's just fucking stupid

PANDAS

Atheists are quite right

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You 2 are idiots.

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Prime Minister of Oztraya