I've got:
    Dave Chappelle - For What It's Worth
    Dave Chappelle - Killin Em' Softly
    Bill Hicks Live - Satirist, Social Critic, Stand-Up Comedian

What do you guys like?

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I am ever expanding my stand up dvd collection. My favourites are Dylan Moran's Monster and Like, Totally, Tim Minchin's So Live and Bill Bailey's Part Troll. My favourite stand up show ever is Dress to Kill by my favourite stand up artist Eddie Izzard, but I haven't anything of his on DVD.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I love standup!

My favourites are;

Bill Bailey,
    Dylan Moran,
    Lee Evans,
    Dave Chappelle,
    Eddie Murphy,
    Ross Noble,
    Ricky Gervais

To name a few. I own most of the shows from all of these comedians.

I loves sausage festival! djwolford's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I love me some Bill Hicks, Eddie Murphy, Dave Chappelle, etc.

Edit: Forgot about Ron White. Thanks for inadvertently reminding me atmosfear.
    Last edited by djwolford; 12-01-2008 at 10:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toki
    Oh, gives to me opposites werewolves that turns to humans whens the moons comes outs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Toki
    We's not goes downs that dusty roads again!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickles
    Toki is that straight vadka? It's not even noon...

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Eddie Izzard is indeed very good, or at least his older stand-ups are (Sexie wasn't great tbh). Bill Bailey's second DVD - part troll I think? - is one of my favourites but his most recent, 'Tinselworm', is pretty poor and uses the tired old jokes from his last DVD which is a shame. I also own very good shows by Ross Noble, Dylan Moran and Rich Hall (this guy is fucking epic if none of you have heard of him) and I'm looking for some Tim Vine stuff, who I've seen on youtube.

Other stand-ups I like but don't own any stuff by: Omid Djalili, Alan Davies, Phill Jupitus, Dara Ó Briain (dunno if he does stand-up but he's certainly a funny chap), Mark Watson, Jim Jeffries, Bob Mills... actually there are quite a few here.

And honourable mentions to... Paul Mertin, the wittiest guy I've ever seen on TV, and I've also had the pleasure of watching him many times doing improv at the Comedy Store in London... and Sean Lock and Stephen Fry who to the best of my knowledge don't do stand-up tours but certainly are worth listening to.

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Larry Miller
    Jim Gaffigan
    I hear the voices inside my head. They counsel me. They understand. They talk to me.

Quote Originally Posted by djwolford View Post
    You know, when Tidus points out that you have failed at internetting, it's probably time to go ahead and off yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by gwahir View Post
    pepsi reserves the right to tell cryptic to get out at any time

it's in the CD charter

Merry fucking Christmas Atmosfear's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I enjoy the following on XM's National Lampoon comedy station (though I wouldn't ever buy anything from them), in no particular order:

Mitch Hedberg
    Ron White
    Alonzo Bodden
    Earthquake
    Demetri Martin
    Costaki Economopoulos
    Chris Titus
    Jerry Seinfeld
    Dave Chapelle (cliche)

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Atmosfear View Post
    Demetri Martin
    Oh man how could I forget about Demetri Martin.

"I have a friend who uses similes a lot. It's like... annoying."

Ben you are spot on about Sexie. I got the impression he just didn't try as hard to come up with good material for that one. As for Tinselworm, that's the tour he's just recently done -- I didn't know it was on DVD. Disappointing about your review, though. I really like Part Troll and only kind of like Cosmic Jam and Bewilderness.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Of the ones not yet mentioned, for some reason I like Ron White. He isn't the type I usually enjoy but for some reason I do.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Steven Wright is pretty funny

Take orally. no_brains_no_worries's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You've got, got, GOT to get Richard Pryor and Red Fox. They give Dave Chappelle a run for his money. Oh, and John Leguizamo is the best animated (runs around, dances) comedian ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzy View Post
    He came to the states for his birthday and now he's going home in a body bag. That's what you get for sending your child to Utah.
    Quote Originally Posted by raghead View Post
    i would have whipped out my dick in that situation
    Quote Originally Posted by KT. View Post
    News flash, guys can't get pregnant from vaginal sex either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Atmoscheer View Post
    But what is their policy on winning the hearts and minds through forcible vaginal entry?

Merry fucking Christmas Atmosfear's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Bifford View Post
    Of the ones not yet mentioned, for some reason I like Ron White. He isn't the type I usually enjoy but for some reason I do.
    Already mentioned him read the thread gotcha tricked ya fooled ya.

But yeah Ron White is pretty excellent.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I really enjoy Louis CK, his sense of humour cracks me up. Jerry Sadowitz - bonafide legend, I wish some people in the entertainment world could muster the balls to release some of his material. Never going to happen sadly. One of his best quotes (or words to that effect, in defence of Gary Glitter)"You mean to tell me the greatest rock star in history can't fuck who he wants, when he wants? We don't know what really happened. So what, the little boy goes in his room, then comes out screaming with blood coming from his arse, we don't know what really happened!".

Love Bill Hicks and George Carlin, always partial to a bit of cutting social criticism. Dylan Moran is good as well, cracks me up. Sean Locke, I don't like his stand up, he is funny as fuck on 8 out of 10 cats, QI etc but his standup just isn't the same, I think he thrives more on sponteneous, more improv style comedy with people to feed off. He doesn't seem to do routines too well. Still funny but it doesn't have the same magic.

Dara O'Breen(I know that is the wrong spelling) does do standup, it is good, I seen him on Live at the Apollo and he was awesome. I was surprised seeing Marcus Bridgestock (sp?) doing some stand up there too, he totally nailed it.

Need to give a mention to Ricky Gervais, don't like his sitcoms but love his standup, I remember when Animals was first broadcast on C4, I didn't like the man and thought it would be shite, accidently started watching it and it was one of the best standups I had seen in a long time.

Chris Rock, is a potential orgy of awesome when he is on his game. I got some old Richard Pryor stuff, man was a genius. I like a bit of Chappelle too, other than those 3 I can't say much for the black comedians I have seen, most I have seen just talk about how cool blacks are and how nerdy whites are, which is good if you can do it right. They have the permission really to do race, so I am always looking out for a hot black comic to rip it up.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Demetri Martin is my current fave.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh can I also mention my absolute disdain for, and anyone who likes, Dane Cook

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by benzss View Post
    Seriously. Unless your drunk or retarded, how can you enjoy Dane Cook?

Also, I would laugh at Carlos Mancia, but since every joke he has is stolen from past comedians, the punchlines are stale.
    He came to the states for his birthday and now he's going home in a body bag. That's what you get for sending your child to Utah.
    But what is their policy on winning the hearts and minds through forcible vaginal entry?

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Jason Kuller
    I hear the voices inside my head. They counsel me. They understand. They talk to me.

You know, when Tidus points out that you have failed at internetting, it's probably time to go ahead and off yourself.

it's in the CD charter

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Other stand-ups I like but don't own any stuff by: Omid Djalili, Alan Davies, Phill Jupitus, Dara Ó Briain (dunno if he does stand-up but he's certainly a funny chap), Mark Watson, Jim Jeffries, Bob Mills... actually there are quite a few here.

And honourable mentions to... Paul Mertin, the wittiest guy I've ever seen on TV, and I've also had the pleasure of watching him many times doing improv at the Comedy Store in London... and Sean Lock and Stephen Fry who to the best of my knowledge don't do stand-up tours but certainly are worth listening to.
    Dara O Briain does indeed do Stand Up. He's pretty amazing as well, fantastic improviser. He has a new DVD out for Christmas and there's others available. Sean Lock also does stand-up tours. In fact he too has a DVD out now. It's pretty funny though some parts are a bit slow.

Anywho, as for me... Well my stand up knowledge is pretty encyclopaedic.

Rob Newman is probably my favourite political comedian. He's incredibly verbose and his stuff feels almost like lectures as opposed to comedy shows but he still manages to keep it genuinely entertaining.

Josie Long is one of my favourite female comedians. She's wonderfully witty and whimsical and wholeheartedly hilarious. She draws a brilliant line between the surreal and the mundane in life. Very talented.

Simon Munnery is a fantastic surreal 'arty' comic. His self-deprecating explanation of how his comedy borders modern art is amazing and can be found .

Stewart Lee is another amazing comedian who's completely mastered the form. His shows are essentially monologues but that doesn't distract from his deadpan genius.

My favourite stand up show I've ever heard is without doubt "Arthur Smith Sings Leonard Cohen". Despite sounding like "the most boring night of entertainment imaginable", it's beautiful, prescient and still hilarious. And he does actually sing Leonard Cohen songs as well. (I'll post the MP3 of this show as a FDL if anyone's interested)

Maria Bamford is another gem. She's a fantastic voice actor as well and uses that to full effect in her quirky, idiosyncratic comedy.

The Godfather of stand up is and always will be Lenny Bruce. Just astounding how much he paved a path for stand up as we know it today (and particularly for British alternative comedy in the 80's even though he gets no credit for that).

Ok, I've gone on a bit now, so honourable mentions (no order) are:

David Cross, Natalie Haynes, Isy Suttie, Johnny Vegas, Emo Philips, Doug Stanhope, Mark Steel, Lee Mack, Mark Thomas, Richard Herring, Jerry Sadowitz, Marcus Brigstocke, Sean Hughes, Robin Ince, Patton Oswalt, Natasha Leggero, Rich Hall/Otis Lee Crenshaw, Russell Brand, We Are Klang, Kristen Schall, Jenny Eclair, Russell Kane, Reginald D Hunter, Stuart Francis, Lucy Porter, Simon Evans, Shappi Khorsandi, Jason Rouse...

Jesus, I don't think that's even half the ones I'm thinking of but I guess it's enough...

tl;dr: Simonge has an unhealthy obsession with stand up comedy

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Mark Steel, Sean Locke, Rich Hall and David Cross are all people I find VERY funny but either have not seen their stand-up or don't think much of it.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Surely you could've written this better

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was actually lucky enough to see both Ronnie Jordon and Kyle Cease live this year. Kyle Cease was AMAZING. I made a sign that said "Like a Vagina" (part of his act) and I got to be one of the guys he high fives during the show. I also saw the guy who plays Officer Trudy's Boyfriend on Reno 911 live. He's real good too.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lenny Bruce is a complete and utter legend. His life is a sad tale really, he was way ahead of his time, saying stuff that needed to be said but at a time when the state couldn't handle it. It is sad to see someone ruined like that.

Stewart Lee, I keep meaning to get some of his stuff, I have seen a little bit of his comedy and I like it. And Carlos Mencia, when I first heard his stuff I was pleased, then I found out he was a joke thief and it ruined it for me.

Credits
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Robin Williams, Lewis Black & George Carlin.

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gismo View Post
    Lenny Bruce is a complete and utter legend. His life is a sad tale really, he was way ahead of his time, saying stuff that needed to be said but at a time when the state couldn't handle it. It is sad to see someone ruined like that.

Stewart Lee, I keep meaning to get some of his stuff, I have seen a little bit of his comedy and I like it. And Carlos Mencia, when I first heard his stuff I was pleased, then I found out he was a joke thief and it ruined it for me.
    I'll send you some Stewart Lee stuff if there's a viable way to do it.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Surely you could've written this better
    In my defence, I've spent most of the last 2 weeks reading latin, french or german texts, and translated greek and latin texts. You've no idea how much it affects your written English and utterly turns it into a convoluted mess.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by simonj View Post
    I'll send you some Stewart Lee stuff if there's a viable way to do it.
    I will be adding him to my xmas list me thinks, I seen one of his DVD's in a virgin megastore, pity I didn't have any money to buy it at the time. He is right on the money, a smart comic.

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pepsi View Post
    Jason Kuller

it's in the CD charter

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Katt Williams, Nick Swardson, Frank Caliendo,George Carlin, Lewis Black, Chris Rock

There are a lot more that I enjoy but I forget their names.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by coldfyre View Post
    Katt Williams,
    I watched his Pimp Chronicles but every other word was bleeped out because even black people get edited when saying nigger now. I also wanted to catch his show when it was at SLC but you had to be 21 to get tickets. How messed up is that?!

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by no_brains_no_worries View Post
    I watched his Pimp Chronicles but every other word was bleeped out because even black people get edited when saying nigger now. I also wanted to catch his show when it was at SLC but you had to be 21 to get tickets. How messed up is that?!
    You're on the internet.

Download it.

it's in the CD charter

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pepsi View Post
    You're on the internet.

Download it.
    Hah, yeah. That's how I've seen most of my favourite stand-up shows.

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Hah, yeah. That's how I've seen most of my favourite stand-up shows.
    Same here.

That's why I have Jeff Dunham, Mitch Hedberg, Larry Miller, etc. stored on my computer...

At least 25 hours of comedy.

it's in the CD charter