Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spore

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Spore

So yeah, official spore thread to post your spore names and share creations and tips etc.

Did you know you could get extra part controls by holding tab down?

I got to the centre of the galaxy last night. Now I just need to destroy the grox.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Spore sux and is boring. The design tools are amazing, but honestly the best part of the game can be purchased for $10, i.e. the creature creation editor. The rest of the game was not worth the extra $40 I spent on it. None of the other design tools even approach the sophistication of the creature creator. The Cell stage was the only really enjoyable part of the game for me. The Space stage at least has some content, but it very quickly becomes repetitive, and the micromanagement just sucks out whatever potential fun to be had.

SO IN CONCLOSHON SPORE SUX AND IS BORANG

the common sense fairy solecistic's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Okay, yes it is repetitive and it completely is NOT an evolution game (lol changing your creature completely at any stage). However, any game that lets me create a Peeps empire is pretty awesome in my book.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah it is fairly repetitive, but I still find it loads and loads of fun.
    I found an empire yesterday that sounded like steven hawking.
    Also I helped squirtle get into the space stage and then when he had 1 system and was surrounded by me and allies he tried to tax me for 5mil.

I blew up the planet.
    I laughed.

Its things like that that make the game great, apart from all the possible creativity.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Everyone gets so mad when you blow up a planet. What's the big deal?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its against the galactic code. Only the grox like it when you do that.
    I just pay my allies off though, I have like 60 mil.

It might just matter to the empires that are near to the planet you blow up though...the squirtle planet wasn't anywhere near my allies empires and they didn't seem to notice.

edit: What's your spore name sole? Mine is Chebaldaeus.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Uhh, my copy isn't exactly legitimate. I can't use the online part.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well that is a shame.
    I bought it just for the online part, sharing creatures and everything is pretty awesome.
    Otherwise I would have just done the same as you.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by solecistic View Post
    Uhh, my copy isn't exactly legitimate. I can't use the online part.
    That's like half that fun of the game gone right there...

Love's Young Nightmare Nevrmore's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ifthere'sonethinghistoryhastaughtusbesidesnottopis soffpeoplecalledGenghisorputleadinyourwaterpipesit 'sthatifyou'regoingtomakesomethingincrediblygoodth atbecomesfrighteninglypopularmakesureit'sthelastth ingyouevermakeinyourentirelifebecauseotherwiseyoug ettospendtherestofyourcreativecareerstrugglingunde rtheweightofhighexpectationsandbricksWillWrightcre atedTheSimsafranchisewhichbyshrewdlycombininguserd esigningassetsthepowersofamalevolenttrickstergodan damassiveamountofimpliednuditynowheonlymakesaboutt wiceasmuchmoneyasBelgiumsocanhisnewgameSporepossib lyliveuptothatlegacyinshortnoinlongnoooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooWillWright'scareerpathcanbestb esummedupasmeddlewithpeople'slivesatincreasinglycl oseuplevelsitstartedwithSimCitydroppingbuildingsfr omspaceontoanearthquakehotspottoappeaselittleblack specksthenlateronitwasTheSimswhereyoutookdirectcon troloflittlecomputerpeopletomakethemcleantoiletsan dfucknowthingsproceedtotheirlogicalconclusionwitha gamethathasyoumeddlewiththeveryoriginoflifeintheun iverseincludingadepictionofevolutionthatwouldmakea furiousCharlesDarwineathisownbeardSporedefinitelyh assomeprettyamazingtechnologybehinditthesheernumbe rofcreaturepossibilities isstaggeringandit'simpressivehowyoucangivethemeigh teenlegsandseveneyebrowsandit'llstillsomehowfindaw aytowalkandmakesuggestiveposesevenifitdoestendtocl ipintoitselfafairbitbutthenyoujustpaintitblueandpr etendit'saghostyoualsogettodesignyourownbuildingsa ndvehiclesfurtherdownthelinesoifallyou'reafterisso mekindof3DartprogramforeightyearoldsSporeisdefinit elyforyouifyou'reholdingoutforanactualgamethenyoug ettoeatshitbutnevermindyoucanalwaysdesignacreature thatlookslikeahugecockandimagineitpoundingyouinthe assthegameplayisdividedintofivesectionsforeachstag eofsentientdevelopmentandforeachonethegoalispretty muchthesamecarnivoreshavetokilleveryoneandherbivor eshavetobefriendeveryoneexceptintheearlyprotozoans tageinwhichcasecarnivoreshavetokilleveryoneandherb ivoreshavetodiealotthetransitionsbetweenthestagesa reaboutassmoothandnaturalasacontrolledemolitionone yourcellhasscoffedenoughfoodpelletsthehandofGodsta plesacoupleoflegstoyourassandkicksyououtoftheseato startthecreaturephasehereyouspendafewhourskillingo therracesorbraidingtheirhairandgigglingwhilegather ingthevariousbodypartsthatlitterthegroundlikethere wassomekindofhorrificmidaircollisionandnailingthem toyourbodyeverytimeyougetyourmackonWillWrightiscle arlynostrangertotheoddcheeseburgerbecauseplayingas afriendlycelerymunchinghippieraceisalotharderthanb eingabunchofaggressivewarlikemegalomaniacswhocommu nicatebybitingeachother'sfacesoffonceyoumoveontoth erealtimestrategytribalphaseifyourejectthesavageme ateatingweaponstockpilinglifestyleyouwillquicklyfi ndthatthereareseveraltribeswithinconvenientwalking distancewhodidn'tandwhowillmakeyoutheirlittlewhimp eringbitchesbeforeyoucanevenbreakoutthetambourines astarkandaccurateportrayalofthedevelopmentofhumans ocietyperhapsbutprobablynottheintendedexperiencean ditonlygetsmoreonesidedwiththecivilizationstagegiv enwhichyoueitherpayalltheothercitiestonotkillyouor rampagearoundtheworldblowingupcomputerplayerswhodo n'thavetheluxuryofbeingabletopausethegameandbuildf iftygunturretsthechieffailingofSporeisthatit'stryi ngtobefivegameseachashallowandcutdownequivalentofa nothergamewithcivilizationstageevengoingsofarastob enamesafterthegameit'sbastardizingtherigidlevelbas edstructurewithitsconstantchangingofgameplayfeelsr estrictiveandschizophrenicamuchlongergradualdevelo pmentfromcelltosentiencewithmoreoptionswouldhavefe ltlesslikejusttickingoffboxesonachecklistwasn'tthi sthewholeappealofSimCitywatchingtheslowtransformat ionfromscouthutinthemiddleofnowheretosprawlingcarb ondioxidespewingurbanvomitpuddlethat'swhyitfeltsoc athartictothendropGodzillaintothemiddleofitwatchin geverythingyouworkedforcollapseneathhismightytread whilecryingandbreathlesslyrubbingyourselfthroughyo urtrouserpocketorperhapsthatwasjustmethefinalspace explorationstageseemstobewhateverythingwasleadingu ptotherockunderwhichallthattrademarkWillWrightopen nesswashidinginfacteverythingbeforehandfeelslikean unusuallydetailedintrosequenceliketherecapatthesta rtofanepisodeofLostyougettocruisearoundtheuniverse turningplanetsintoplanetsjustlikeyoursplonkingdown colonieswithoutaskingandintroducingwildlifesoyouca ntormentthemlaterwithyourtractorbeamamasterfullysa tiricaldigatUSforeignpolicyifyou'rehappywithaprett yifrepetitivespacesimthenhoorayforyouit'sjustnotth eelaboratetranscendentallifesimulatorthatwewerepro misedfundamentallythoughSporewillneverhavetheappea lofTheSimsbecauseoftheexcisionofthehumanelementitw asn'tsimplycontrollinglifethatmadeTheSimspopularit wascontrollinglifethatresemblespeopleweknoworoptio nallyBatmanIguesswhatI'maskingiscanbrightlycolored monstrositiesreallycomparetoBatmanshortanswernoooo oooooooo

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sycld View Post
    That's like half that fun of the game gone right there...
    If that's true, I might consider picking up a real copy. I mean, I don't just have the creature creator - it's the full game, just not with online access. What is the online access about, anyway? Can you conquer other people's shit? Or is it more like "lol aww look at my creatures" because I can do that with Print Screen and Imageshack.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by solecistic View Post
    If that's true, I might consider picking up a real copy. I mean, I don't just have the creature creator - it's the full game, just not with online access. What is the online access about, anyway? Can you conquer other people's shit? Or is it more like "lol aww look at my creatures" because I can do that with Print Screen and Imageshack.
    It populates the game with creatures, buildings, vehicles, and spaceships made by other players, not just those made be you and Maxis.

You can subscribe to "Sporecasts" by your favorite creators to get their latest creations.

On the other hand, you can just manually and individually download the creations of other people, but it's much faster to let the program automatically do it.
    Last edited by sycld; 09-19-2008 at 10:01 PM.

PANDAS
    If you don't like them, then get the fuck out.

Quote Originally Posted by Think View Post
    Atheists are quite right

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nevrmore View Post
    Ifthere'sonethinghistoryhastaughtusbesidesnottopis soffpeoplecalledGenghisorputleadinyourwaterpipesit 'sthatifyou'regoingtomakesomethingincrediblygoodth atbecomesfrighteninglypopularmakesureit'sthelastth ingyouevermakeinyourentirelifebecauseotherwiseyoug ettospendtherestofyourcreativecareerstrugglingunde rtheweightofhighexpectationsandbricksWillWrightcre atedTheSimsafranchisewhichbyshrewdlycombininguserd esigningassetsthepowersofamalevolenttrickstergodan damassiveamountofimpliednuditynowheonlymakesaboutt wiceasmuchmoneyasBelgiumsocanhisnewgameSporepossib lyliveuptothatlegacyinshortnoinlongnoooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooWillWright'scareerpathcanbestb esummedupasmeddlewithpeople'slivesatincreasinglycl oseuplevelsitstartedwithSimCitydroppingbuildingsfr omspaceontoanearthquakehotspottoappeaselittleblack specksthenlateronitwasTheSimswhereyoutookdirectcon troloflittlecomputerpeopletomakethemcleantoiletsan dfucknowthingsproceedtotheirlogicalconclusionwitha gamethathasyoumeddlewiththeveryoriginoflifeintheun iverseincludingadepictionofevolutionthatwouldmakea furiousCharlesDarwineathisownbeardSporedefinitelyh assomeprettyamazingtechnologybehinditthesheernumbe rofcreaturepossibilities isstaggeringandit'simpressivehowyoucangivethemeigh teenlegsandseveneyebrowsandit'llstillsomehowfindaw aytowalkandmakesuggestiveposesevenifitdoestendtocl ipintoitselfafairbitbutthenyoujustpaintitblueandpr etendit'saghostyoualsogettodesignyourownbuildingsa ndvehiclesfurtherdownthelinesoifallyou'reafterisso mekindof3DartprogramforeightyearoldsSporeisdefinit elyforyouifyou'reholdingoutforanactualgamethenyoug ettoeatshitbutnevermindyoucanalwaysdesignacreature thatlookslikeahugecockandimagineitpoundingyouinthe assthegameplayisdividedintofivesectionsforeachstag eofsentientdevelopmentandforeachonethegoalispretty muchthesamecarnivoreshavetokilleveryoneandherbivor eshavetobefriendeveryoneexceptintheearlyprotozoans tageinwhichcasecarnivoreshavetokilleveryoneandherb ivoreshavetodiealotthetransitionsbetweenthestagesa reaboutassmoothandnaturalasacontrolledemolitionone yourcellhasscoffedenoughfoodpelletsthehandofGodsta plesacoupleoflegstoyourassandkicksyououtoftheseato startthecreaturephasehereyouspendafewhourskillingo therracesorbraidingtheirhairandgigglingwhilegather ingthevariousbodypartsthatlitterthegroundlikethere wassomekindofhorrificmidaircollisionandnailingthem toyourbodyeverytimeyougetyourmackonWillWrightiscle arlynostrangertotheoddcheeseburgerbecauseplayingas afriendlycelerymunchinghippieraceisalotharderthanb eingabunchofaggressivewarlikemegalomaniacswhocommu nicatebybitingeachother'sfacesoffonceyoumoveontoth erealtimestrategytribalphaseifyourejectthesavageme ateatingweaponstockpilinglifestyleyouwillquicklyfi ndthatthereareseveraltribeswithinconvenientwalking distancewhodidn'tandwhowillmakeyoutheirlittlewhimp eringbitchesbeforeyoucanevenbreakoutthetambourines astarkandaccurateportrayalofthedevelopmentofhumans ocietyperhapsbutprobablynottheintendedexperiencean ditonlygetsmoreonesidedwiththecivilizationstagegiv enwhichyoueitherpayalltheothercitiestonotkillyouor rampagearoundtheworldblowingupcomputerplayerswhodo n'thavetheluxuryofbeingabletopausethegameandbuildf iftygunturretsthechieffailingofSporeisthatit'stryi ngtobefivegameseachashallowandcutdownequivalentofa nothergamewithcivilizationstageevengoingsofarastob enamesafterthegameit'sbastardizingtherigidlevelbas edstructurewithitsconstantchangingofgameplayfeelsr estrictiveandschizophrenicamuchlongergradualdevelo pmentfromcelltosentiencewithmoreoptionswouldhavefe ltlesslikejusttickingoffboxesonachecklistwasn'tthi sthewholeappealofSimCitywatchingtheslowtransformat ionfromscouthutinthemiddleofnowheretosprawlingcarb ondioxidespewingurbanvomitpuddlethat'swhyitfeltsoc athartictothendropGodzillaintothemiddleofitwatchin geverythingyouworkedforcollapseneathhismightytread whilecryingandbreathlesslyrubbingyourselfthroughyo urtrouserpocketorperhapsthatwasjustmethefinalspace explorationstageseemstobewhateverythingwasleadingu ptotherockunderwhichallthattrademarkWillWrightopen nesswashidinginfacteverythingbeforehandfeelslikean unusuallydetailedintrosequenceliketherecapatthesta rtofanepisodeofLostyougettocruisearoundtheuniverse turningplanetsintoplanetsjustlikeyoursplonkingdown colonieswithoutaskingandintroducingwildlifesoyouca ntormentthemlaterwithyourtractorbeamamasterfullysa tiricaldigatUSforeignpolicyifyou'rehappywithaprett yifrepetitivespacesimthenhoorayforyouit'sjustnotth eelaboratetranscendentallifesimulatorthatwewerepro misedfundamentallythoughSporewillneverhavetheappea lofTheSimsbecauseoftheexcisionofthehumanelementitw asn'tsimplycontrollinglifethatmadeTheSimspopularit wascontrollinglifethatresemblespeopleweknoworoptio nallyBatmanIguesswhatI'maskingiscanbrightlycolored monstrositiesreallycomparetoBatmanshortanswernoooo oooooooo
    fuck you

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It populates the game with creatures, buildings, vehicles, and spaceships made by other players, not just those made be you and Maxis.

You can subscribe to "Sporecasts" by your favorite creators to get their latest creations.

On the other hand, you can just manually and individually download the creations of other people, but it's much faster to let the program automatically do it.
    It would be pretty cool if someone else got my penis factories in their towns.

Credits
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nevrmore View Post
    I started to read that

But it was too tedious

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Boycott this piece of shit. EA can go shove that DRM up their ass.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its not a piece of shit, although I can see how it would be repetitive and boring for someone with no imagination.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

pirates are invading your homeworld

yeah, great fun

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just put an uber turret down on the planet and have your cities well defended. Pirates won't be able to deal with that, they go down easy.
    Then just ignore those notices.

Its not hard to work out.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

easy to solve or not, it is still a badly implemented chore mechanic

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShitFace View Post
    Its not a piece of shit, although I can see how it would be repetitive and boring for someone with no imagination.
    The game is far off from what it was projected to be in the original demo. Games are so horribly simplified nowadays by companies like EA and Microsoft to get more sales its pathetic. I'm glad it appeals to your simple mind though.

That's not even why I was saying to boycott it though. Apparently you missed the DRM part (or don't know what it is)? Upgrade your machine or reinstall it a few times and viola, enjoy your $60 coaster!
    Last edited by ozzy; 09-20-2008 at 03:03 PM.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm having a lot of fun with this game. A few friends and I have it up at school, so we're all playing and comparing our creatures. The space age takes such a long time.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShitFace View Post
    As I said before, I can stretch my imagination all I want with the $10 Creature Creator. That's really the only good part of the game.

What do I get for $40 more? I get a few more object editors that are similar to the Creature Creator but not half as good and a half-baked, under-designed game whose only purpose is to give the objects created with the editors some sort of purpose.

PANDAS

Atheists are quite right

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

With the amount of time they had to develop this game and even more to hype it.... i expected a LOT more.

Thats all that needs to be said

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I thought that you would need to properly design the creature so it is fast and and a good hunter but all the limbs and parts have stats that control everything. So it doesn't really matter if you have a one legged freak creature if it has a "fast" leg attached.

They shouldn't have dumbed it down this much. Some parts were fun in the beginning but I got bored pretty quickly. Have you seen amazon.com? People have spammed spore with 1 star ratings.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeemachine View Post

They shouldn't have dumbed it down this much. Some parts were fun in the beginning but I got bored pretty quickly. Have you seen amazon.com? People have spammed spore with 1 star ratings.
    That's solely because of the draconian DRM. And I think EA has gotten the message, those fucking bastards.

Seriously-- fuck EA to fucking hell. The only reason why it develops good games sometimes is because it gives its subsidiaries that it bought out some degree of independence, but whatever it sinks its tentacles into always comes out worse in the end.

PANDAS

Atheists are quite right

BANNED
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My general assessment of Maxis games as of recent:

I remember trying The Sims. It was okay for a bit, but then I realized how annoying it was that shitting took hours and post-shitting you really couldn't do much anyway. The few expansions I brought did not salvage the fact that it sucked.

The Sims II did better and shitting was much faster. Still boring and generic after a bit. Its atmosphere was worse though. Classical music and likewise style > techno and modern.

Spore sucks. The second stage was so horribly tedious (as was the first) that I just gave up. My suspicions that it would be repetitive were confirmed.

With this line, I'm going to assume The Sims III will also suck.

Also, The Sims Online (back when it was beta and free) sucked too.

I'm generally critical of sandbox games since a lot are labeled as such so the developers can make huge game worlds full of nothing.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Husein, video games are bourgeois entertainment that encourage suppression of the proletariat.

In short, GTFO.

PANDAS

Atheists are quite right

BANNED
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Your lack of knowledge on communism makes you irrelevant when it comes to telling me what to do.

But yes, some games can be used as propaganda.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Only people who are not ignorant about communism can tell him what to do!

Thread successfully derailed.

BANNED
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Only in relation to the fact that he used it as a justification on why I should GTFO.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Husein, video games are bourgeois entertainment that encourage suppression of the proletariat.

In short, GTFO.
    STFU he came in and made a post about the spore and video games in general he didn't spew any shit about Hoxha or w/e, you're the one trolling here

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What are DRM?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Digital Rights Management-- basically all those software- and hardware-based measures that try to prevent piracy.

With regards to Spore, you can only install it three times.

After the third installation, you cannot install it again. Ever.

Fuck.

PANDAS

Atheists are quite right

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh shit thats gay. Thats like me X the 2007 Miami Dolphins + many cocks X flames.

thats like, DRM gay.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

DRM kicks in if you upgrade your PC too.

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU Anonymous D's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

How did I know that this game would suck despite all the hype?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think you can phone up EA to reset the DRM count or something

it is a bit like winning a phone in competition except you already own the prize

Love's Young Nightmare Nevrmore's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous d View Post
    How did I know that this game would suck despite all the hype?
    Because of the hype, duh.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Spore sux and is boring. The design tools are amazing, but honestly the best part of the game can be purchased for $10, i.e. the creature creation editor. The rest of the game was not worth the extra $40 I spent on it. None of the other design tools even approach the sophistication of the creature creator. The Cell stage was the only really enjoyable part of the game for me. The Space stage at least has some content, but it very quickly becomes repetitive, and the micromanagement just sucks out whatever potential fun to be had.

SO IN CONCLOSHON SPORE SUX AND IS BORANG
    Minus the intentional bad spelling, that's exactly what I was gonna say. Overhyped to the max