Thread: Rust Removal

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Rust Removal

I'm just curious as to whether or not anyone here has had any experience with any Eastwood products when trying to get rid of rust on the undercarriage of a vehicle. I have a 1993 Toyota Pickup that my dad is putting a lift on while I'm deployed. He sent me pictures of it, and it seems to have a considerable amount of rust under it. Dad claims it's merely surface rust, and that it's nothing to worry about. He bought a rust removal kit from Eastwood for something around $150. Anyone know if it works? Thanks in advance.

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU Anonymous D's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

We sell stuff that neutralizes rust at Sherwin-Williams. Its like $20 a gallon. You put it on, it turns the rust black overnight, then you can prime and paint over it.

Ive never really heard of teh stuff you are talking about. Is it a green liquid?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm not really sure, Dad's not really all that great when it comes to explaining things to me over messenger, but as far as I know it's some sort of kit, and some part of it may even be a spray on. Not advertising, but the website is eastwood.com - Like I said, it was something around $150, and that company's specialty is apparently vehicle restoration, so I suppose it should work pretty well. He said that he's using a wire brush to scrape what stuff IS on it off, then putting whatever on afterwards.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yea, it says it turn the rust to iron oxide. Which is the same thing that stuff we have at work does. That stuff is a gel from what I can tell though. I dont see why it wouldnt work, but he could have done it for much cheaper.

He shouldnt have a problem with that though, the gel will work better because it wont run and drip off teh bottom. Ive used the stuff we have at work and it runs everywhere.

Incase you are wondering, its called Chem Prime. I think most S-W stores carry another brand called OSPHO though. Same thing.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

For the sake of discussion, would the more 'hardcore' way to do it would be to cut out the rust, and then re-weld a new piece of steel in? Or will the results be about the same?

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wanabedriver View Post
    For the sake of discussion, would the more 'hardcore' way to do it would be to cut out the rust, and then re-weld a new piece of steel in? Or will the results be about the same?
    That would be a better way. But thats not really a great idea on a frame. That is what most people do to old floors pans though.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There's nothing that needs "hardcore" restoration, it's just rust from dumbshit that I've done. For example, going mudding and then letting the mud sit on my truck for a few days, and never really cleaning the undercarriage as well as I should have. Live and learn.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous D View Post
    That would be a better way. But thats not really a great idea on a frame. That is what most people do to old floors pans though.
    It's illegal in a lot of states to weld the frame, actually. And your could always do a media blast or something as well to remove rust. Not the best idea if you're blasting through the metal, though. Then it'll need to be cut and a new piece welded in.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Harner View Post
    It's illegal in a lot of states to weld the frame, actually. And your could always do a media blast or something as well to remove rust. Not the best idea if you're blasting through the metal, though. Then it'll need to be cut and a new piece welded in.
    Huh?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I realize I'm a little off from the OP's question, but I was just responding to other messages.

I know some states in the mid atlantic and new england are pretty strict about patched up frames. I know some guys in the PA/DE/MD/NJ area with OLD muscle cars and they were talking to me about it.

I never bothered to look it up because I'm not always out to "prove someone wrong."

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That was just the first I've heard of it. I'm in NY, and have done several weld jobs, especially on older muscle car frames. Hell, my 72 vettes frame was pretty much welder together twice! Not saying you're wrong, but I will say I don't give a damn about the laws when it comes to my car anyways!

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

*Cop pulls you over*

Cop: Son the reason I pulled you over is because I noticed a few weld marks on your frame. Im gonna have to ticket you for that."

You: "FUCK!!"

Even if it is illegal, hows anyone ever gonna find out?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've got what I wanted out of the thread, I could care less where it goes, have fun. As far as someone finding out that your frame is welded, annual state vehicle inspection? I know they do it in PA because they bitch about stupid stuff.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tekk View Post
    I will say I don't give a damn about the laws when it comes to my car anyways!
    I agree with this statement!