Thread: So I saw a guy dying,

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default So I saw a guy dying,

And it was weird. When the realization of what'd just happened came to me, and I realized why he was tangled like that, it felt really strange, almost as if all the nerves in my chest were protesting.

Then I felt sorry for his family, and since there was nothing I could do, we left. The proper people were on their way, and other, better witnesses were sticking around.

It just struck me so strangely to see the man so quickly after his death.

I'd been through a tour of Houston's M.E. office before, and I've seen the human body dissected and dead in person before.

Outside of that, it was different somehow, and I hope his family will be alright.

Scito Te Ipsum TheOriginalGrumpySpy's Avatar
    I am not a citizen of Athens or of Greece but of the world.
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I worked in a hospital once and woman in a truck peeled around the corner up to the front doors and ran in and asked for help saying that her friend wasn't breathing. So, of course, we called in the Code Blue and as the doctors repelled from the ceilings and emerged from hidden doors to come to the friends aid, they pulled him out the car and he just fell out into the stretcher like a rag-doll, blue as ice and the only thing I could do was watch.

It sucks not being able to help.

BANNED
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree TOGS. When I was 12 a man who had been stabbed fell at my feet at the state fair in Texas. I was 12 for Christ's sake! What could I have possibly done? My dad got security to him pretty fast and dragged me away as quick as possible. I just have never enjoyed the fair as much since then.

the eagle
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ten, walking to McDonald's with my dad while our car was in the shop. A car t-boned a truck and the driver of the car was ejected over the hood of the truck, hitting the ground and knocking part of their skull in. The truck driver had a shattered arm, the woman driver was dead on impact, I guess. We had to stay and give a witness report to the cops. I had no idea what had happened, though.

The passenger in the car was cut up from the broken glass, but he was able to walk out of the car.

BANNED
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have never seen a dead or dying person. I've never even had someone close to me die.

the eagle
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'M COMING FOR YOU, FREAK.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Another thread about people dying. You guys are so gangsta.

the eagle
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I will fuck you up.

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I was in the room when my grandmother died.
    I hear the voices inside my head. They counsel me. They understand. They talk to me.

Quote Originally Posted by djwolford View Post
    You know, when Tidus points out that you have failed at internetting, it's probably time to go ahead and off yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by gwahir View Post
    pepsi reserves the right to tell cryptic to get out at any time

it's in the CD charter

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

wow bacon, i don't mean to sound like i'm downplaying the profundity of that situation or dehumanizing it, but that's intense.

what was the circumstance of this? a car accident?

outside of wakes where the person's body had already been made up and arranged (like a human bouquet) by the mortician in the casket, the only dead person i've ever seen was my grandmother.

PANDAS
    If you don't like them, then get the fuck out.

Quote Originally Posted by Think View Post
    Atheists are quite right

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU Anonymous D's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Where sis you see them die? What were the circumstances?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've seen it twice, its a strange feeling, but I'm a very emotionally detached person.

Once I was driving down the right lane of a two lane bypass, and a guy was at the side of the road sweeping leaves out of the drainage channel. His van and cage trailer, for the leaves, was parked on the hard shoulder, which was only really half a car wide, so about 2 feet of his van was in the slow lane of the road. The road was very quiet, I saw maybe 4 cars in 10 minutes, and it's completely straight, in broad daylight, he was totally safe (theoretically).

At that moment a large truck, going way too fast in the left lane (slow lane in the UK) came barreling past me, probably doing 80. I think what a prick, it's a quiet road but you have a responsibility, especially in a vehicle that big. Next thing I hear is a huge crash - no screeching before it - just a huge crash. I see the van on its side, the trailer about 10 feet off the left side of the road, leaves everywhere, and this guy sat up on the side of the road, looking at the truck, which had slowed down, and then pulled off again. Blood literally running out of his mouth and forehead. By the time I'd stopped, and ran over to him, he'd already fallen back and died. No pulse, no breathing, nothing.

I called the ambulance and the police, and gave them details of the truck, but I never heard about it again. It was mentioned in our local paper, the guy had no real family or friends, I doubt anyone even knew he had died, and I was the last person he saw.

Another time we were driving to France for a holiday, and there was huge amounts of smoke pluming out of a truck cab, as the traffic slowed nearly to a halt and went past - this was a very busy road, a few cars had already stopped - the guy fell forwards and out of the cab, about 7 feet to the ground, his clothes burning off of his back. He never even tried to roll when he hit the floor, just laid there in flames.

Each time, either the people I've told or the people who were with me have been crying or almost crying, but I don't know, things like that don't really have any effect on me. It's not that I don't care abut them, I feel bad for the families of those who die, but feel completely detached from reality in these situations, it's weird.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous D View Post
    Where sis you see them die? What were the circumstances?
    Guy on a bike got tangled up in the axle of a Z71 on tuesday right outside my HEB.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bacon ops View Post
    Guy on a bike got tangled up in the axle of a Z71 on tuesday right outside my HEB.
    Ouch

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

On US 24 just outside of the trailer park where I was living (not trailer trash, like uppity rich kind). Two semi collision outside of my apartment. I heard the screech, the crash, the sliding. I took off running, my cell phone in hand, dialing 911. the guy who was rear ended was ok, but the guy who rear ended him was killed instantly. The front trailer was carrying molten aluminum, the entire cab of the second trailer was melted, they was able to extract the body, but they did so with a shovel and bucket, they tried to hold a tarp up, but it was a windy day, you could see what was happening, and the stench was abhor.

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maliathone View Post
    On US 24 just outside of the trailer park where I was living (not trailer trash, like uppity rich kind). Two semi collision outside of my apartment. I heard the screech, the crash, the sliding. I took off running, my cell phone in hand, dialing 911. the guy who was rear ended was ok, but the guy who rear ended him was killed instantly. The front trailer was carrying molten aluminum, the entire cab of the second trailer was melted, they was able to extract the body, but they did so with a shovel and bucket, they tried to hold a tarp up, but it was a windy day, you could see what was happening, and the stench was abhor.
    That just utterly disgusts me...wow...
    I hear the voices inside my head. They counsel me. They understand. They talk to me.

You know, when Tidus points out that you have failed at internetting, it's probably time to go ahead and off yourself.

it's in the CD charter

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Seeing someones death is something that permanently changes you, changes your perspective, changes your thoughts and everything.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Damn near dieing permanently changes you, changes your perspective, and changes your thoughts and everything. I went through that scenario.
    Quote Originally Posted by KT_ View Post
    Yes.

Yesterday I was playing the Mirror's Edge demo while a dude was eating me out. Mirror's Edge is fucking awesome. I'm excited.
    Quote Originally Posted by victrola View Post
    he may be a faggot but in this case he is correct

a wheel within a wheel never ending nor beginning on an ever spinning reel
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pepsi View Post
    I was in the room when my grandmother died.
    I was in the room when my grandfather died. We were close.

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I was in the room when my grandfather died. We were close.
    Same here.

My birthday was a month before...and she bought me a shirt and tie knowing I would need it soon.

it's in the CD charter

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've been through both scenarios and I can honestly say that seeing someone die impacted me more than almost dying myself. Granted, when I almost died I was 10, and the first time I saw someone die I was 17, so I had a bit more perspective at 17 than 10.

I was going south by a crosswalk. Another guy was going north. An elderly man was crossing the road. The guy going north just ran right through the crosswalk like the guy wasn't even there. Who knows what the driver was doing or thinking about. Anyway I got out of the car to try to help but the man was obviously already dead. I don't need to catalog his injuries here, but let's just say they weren't compatible with life. The cops came, me and other people who saw it gave our statements, and then I calmly walked behind a building and puked until I'd broken blood vessels in my eyes.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kal El View Post
    Damn near dieing permanently changes you, changes your perspective, and changes your thoughts and everything. I went through that scenario.
    how did it change you?

PANDAS
    If you don't like them, then get the fuck out.

Atheists are quite right

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sycld View Post
    how did it change you?
    I'm more at peace with myself, I am now happy with simpler often overlooked things, I'm more thankful for what I have, and I think I'm a kinder, more generous person, and more accepting.
    Quote Originally Posted by KT_ View Post
    Yes.

Yesterday I was playing the Mirror's Edge demo while a dude was eating me out. Mirror's Edge is fucking awesome. I'm excited.
    Quote Originally Posted by victrola View Post
    he may be a faggot but in this case he is correct

Imma chargin my lazor clownsocs's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was 10 when I saw my first dead person. Me and a friend of mine were coming home after skateboarding around town and walked into his garage to put away our boards. He opened the door to his mom hanging there. She apparently had just hanged herself because I saw one twitch and a look of terror in her eyes as she realized what she had just done to her son. That friend and I haven't spoken since then. He was very detached in life after that. For awhile I had no drive to do anything. I was close with that family. After awhile things moved on though.

I also saw my best friend burn to death. We were playing with matches at 11 years old in a motor home. I guess the propane had been leaking and the trailer caught fire. I made it out, and he didn't. I've blamed myself for years for this, I could've at least woken him up or dragged him out but my human instinct just drove me out of the trailer, I will never get those screams out of my head...

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maliathone View Post
    Molten aluminum?

Yea

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by clownsocs View Post
    I also saw my best friend burn to death. We were playing with matches at 11 years old in a motor home. I guess the propane had been leaking and the trailer caught fire. I made it out, and he didn't. I've blamed myself for years for this, I could've at least woken him up or dragged him out but my human instinct just drove me out of the trailer, I will never get those screams out of my head...
    You're a shitty friend.

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ltsnead View Post
    You're a shitty friend.
    Give him a break! He was only elev....wait a second. Proper human instinct would tell someone to save their friend, in my opinion. I think that at the age on eleven, you have that instilled in you.

Either way, it is horrible.

it's in the CD charter

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You're a shitty friend.
    Douchebag. Who the FUCK says that to someone, even online? What would you have done? Really? Are you SURE? Because yeah, I'm real sure you've been in that situation several times and know exactly how you'd react. Saying something and actually being in the situation are 2 different things. BTW humans have an evoluationary fear of fire. Your heart might tell you to go back in to get your friend, millions of years of survival instincts tell you not to. What do you do? Also 11 years old is still a KID. He probably freaked. An 11 year old isn't always capable of making well thought out, rational decisions in a time of crisis and watching your friend die sure as hell counts as crisis. Can you say with absolute certainty that every adult you know wouldn't panic either?

And even if he did make the "wrong" choice, he's done his pennance. There's no need making him feel guilty about it again.
    Last edited by Cryptic; 12-14-2008 at 12:02 PM.

A very manly muppet Mad Pino Rage's Avatar
    Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Construction worker fell off the scaffolding on the neighboring carrier and into the dirty deep waters on the harbor. Two sailors dived in to find him, but their efforts would be in vain. His body was found two days later. I guess that counts.
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
    Albert Einstein

Imma chargin my lazor clownsocs's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You're a shitty friend.
    I hope you fucking rot in hell.

a wheel within a wheel never ending nor beginning on an ever spinning reel
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

clownsocs, I imagine I would've done exactly what you did in that situation, as would, I'm sure, the vast majority of the population, I'm almost certain including snead. You are not God. I'm very sorry you had to be put through such a harrowing and personally destructive experience at such a young age.

hotter than a $2 pistol gorefinger's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've witnessed three people die. I saw my younger brother shot in the head when I was 14, he died hours later in the hospital. When I was 16 I saw a black boy crash his brand new (literally, he was about 3 miles from the dealership) motorcycle into a light pole, he lived about half an hour, and then died. Then when I was 18 I saw a Mexican get kicked in the chest by a horse, he died instantly.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't know if I have. I was going to uni one day when I heard shouting and what looked like some drunks goofing around, but as I got closer I noticed a girl lying on the pavement and her friend next to her screaming for help. A load of us ran over, phones out dialling 999. She just lay there. It was the screams of her friend that got to me, I have never seen a human being in that state before and I hope I never will.

I have no idea if she was ok. I hope she was, more for her friends sake than anything else, his screams for help will haunt me forever.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gismo View Post
    phones out dialling 999.
    What.

Also I was in the room when my dad died.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by red_spyder View Post
    What.

Also I was in the room when my dad died.
    999 is the emergency number for a lot of other countries.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've seen aftermath of highway wrecks, drowned bodies washed onshore, and store robbery killings, but come to think of it I have never seen anyone actually go through the change from live to dead. Hmm.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Revolt View Post
    I've seen aftermath of highway wrecks, drowned bodies washed onshore, and store robbery killings, but come to think of it I have never seen anyone actually go through the change from live to dead. Hmm.
    It's different, man; trust me.

I'd been in morgues, seen an autopsy being condusted, and even seen dissected babies in jars.

It was really different seeing it happening in real time.