Thread: Running games in Vista

Merry fucking Christmas Atmosfear's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Running games in Vista

I seem to be having a problem. I know there are games with known compatibility issues, but I've also run into problems with games that were supposed to be Vista-compatible (Psychonauts.)

It happens the same every time: game window closes or never opens, and I get locked out of task manager unable to close any processes. Is there a known reason for this behavior?

Skip the hurfdurf Vista comments.

Credits
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Try running the games in compatibility mode for Windows XP. It has solved all gaming issues I've had on vista, with the exception of some really really old stuff from like Windows 98 that I tried to play once.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
    Try running the games in compatibility mode for Windows XP. It has solved all gaming issues I've had on vista, with the exception of some really really old stuff from like Windows 98 that I tried to play once.
    Whilst you're in the properties window you might also want to check the boxes for "disable visual themes" and "disable desktop composition" to temporarily kill Vista's transparency and other effects whenever the program runs. Some games seem to hate trying to run whilst they're enabled.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well I'm trying to run KOTOR specifically now.

I tried disabling those, hydro, both for the launcher and for the direct .exe and the visual themes and desktop composition stay disabled. I'm locked out of task manager and unable to restart my computer without turning it off manually.

It seems to me that this (and other games) is just hanging after I run it. What could cause that? A quick google search tells me people have run KOTOR on Vista, but why is it that my system isn't? Also, if it's worth anything, when I run configuration for KOTOR, it agrees that I meet all minimum requirements. Any ideas?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Actually I've had the same problem, I tried for about a week to figure it out, but I didn't have any luck.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Next time the game closes, check the event viewer logs to look for hints or clues as to why this is happening and if you don't know what the error message means, take a screenshot of the message and post it here.

Right click my computer > manage > event viewer > check all logs for errors or warnings.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Any custom desktop themes etc? For some odd reason, there are a number of games which tend to crash when the user is running windows blinds etc..

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lolturnip View Post
    Next time the game closes, check the event viewer logs to look for hints or clues as to why this is happening and if you don't know what the error message means, take a screenshot of the message and post it here.
    I'm not seeing "check all logs for errors or warnings" as an option but just browsing through the administrative error log and the application log i got nothing. There was an information event listed for disabling the Vista desktop stuff (Blinds, etc) but nothing regarding the program crashing.

I heard that there is a possibility that some old games hang in Vista because Vista cuts them off when they go "not responding" as intended in order to keep from crashing due to graphics. Is there any truth to that or any way to override that without compromising the rest of Vista?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Atmosfear View Post
    I'm not seeing "check all logs for errors or warnings" as an option but just browsing through the administrative error log and the application log i got nothing. There was an information event listed for disabling the Vista desktop stuff (Blinds, etc) but nothing regarding the program crashing.
    I didn't literally mean there was a "check all logs for errors or warnings" option, but error logs in the Event List that could help you diagnose the problem.

Here's more info about Vista's event list:

http://www.petri.co.il/vista-event-viewer.htm
    http://www.worldstart.com/tips/tips.php/4277

What are your system specs?

Are the games DX9 or DX10 compatible?

If they are only DX9 compatible, make sure DX9 is fully up-to-date, along with your graphics drivers and windows updates, then check out this site http://www.tiltedmill.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13745. The 1st post has a fix which seems to have helped a lot of people running Vista and DX9 games, however if you have SP1 installed, this patch will already be installed.

Credits
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

If nothing itt works I will see if I can run my copy of KOTOR on my computer some time tomorrow to help determine if your problem is just an anomaly. I think it would be fun to run through again anyway.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've got kotor running on vista with no problems.
    I do have it running in compatibility mode for xp service pack 2 though just to be sure.

Credits
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShitFace View Post
    I've got kotor running on vista with no problems.
    I do have it running in compatibility mode for xp service pack 2 though just to be sure.
    I'm seconding this. Works fine, so long as compatibility mode is enabled on the main executable.