Thread: New video card time.

God That Smelled Good linkinkampf19's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default New video card time.

We need a new thread anyway. Mind you, this purchase it still pure speculation, but there's never a better time than now to start thinking about upgrades. So, to give you a current perspective, here are my parameters for a new video card. First, I'm running my machine with a Corsair 450VX PSU (450W, duh), and I don't plan on shelling out for another PSU, not for a long time. Second, my specs (not counting extra, pointless stuff):

ASUS M2N-E mobo
    Corsair 450VX PSU
    AMD Athlon X2 5200+ @2.6Ghz
    EVGA 8600GTS 256MB
    Audigy2 ZS
    320GB Seagate SATA
    160GB Maxtor IDE
    40GB Music IDE
    Lite-On LH-20AIL

I am planning to sell my 8600GTS to my sister for about $30-40, depending upon coercion, as she currently has a 7600GT. I am trying to stay below $125 if possible. All I'm asking is what would be the best choice for my price range, and would it be worthwhile to upgrade this midrange card to a beefier 9800GT or something? Obviously, with my PSU, I can't go too high, but I'm looking for more playability in my system anyways. Lastly, I'd like to stay Nvidia, but since AMD controls ATI now, I'd be willing to give them a shot too, provided it's a good reason.

Thanks again in advance.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've just been hearing the 4850's and 4870's are a great bang for the buck; even better if you crossfire them. However I'm pretty sure your mobo with a Nvida chipset will not CF...

Just wondering, why do you want to upgrade your video card now?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...hics,2086.html

That will lay out the best video cards for your price range. There is also a hierarchy for video card chipsets too. Worth taking a look.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wanabedriver View Post
    I've just been hearing the 4850's and 4870's are a great bang for the buck; even better if you crossfire them. However I'm pretty sure your mobo with a Nvida chipset will not CF...

Just wondering, why do you want to upgrade your video card now?
    Well, why not? I have a little money set aside, and I'm hoping to get a few bucks from selling my current card to my sister. I have a few games I'd like to rather max out. I originally thought the 8600GTS was a great card, but after a while I've noticed it's more mainstream than it is gamer card, though it holds its own in a number of games, just not quite maxed. Are there any reasons why you suggest I wait? Also I don't plan on using SLI. I bought my current mobo knowing that SLI isn't the best (a small percentage increase in possibly numbers alone, and the added cost? No thanks.) I'd rather get one better card than two sub-par ones. I'm not quite enthusiast level, but really that's only because I can't afford most high end equipment.

Also, I'm a little hesitant to try ATI's offerings, but if price permits, I'll see how it goes from there.

Quote Originally Posted by SneeBeezums View Post
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...hics,2086.html

That will lay out the best video cards for your price range. There is also a hierarchy for video card chipsets too. Worth taking a look.
    I forgot about that site. Thanks.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think I've found the card I will buy. It's a tie between the 9800GTX and the 9800GTX+. Using the power consumption calculator and a host of sites confirming it, I think it is quite possible for my system to run either of these beasts. I know the 450VX by Corsair is renowned for it's quality and stability, and the power calculator says at 90% load (approx.), I'll be pulling nearly 350W. I know it's not that low, but it gives me comfort knowing I'll have some leeway when running such a card. I think the only problem now is if it will fit inside my case. I think I have enough space, but with the lengths of cards nowadays hitting 10+ inches :huhu: , this looks like my only obstacle. Thanks again guys.