Thread: Anticon

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Anticon

For the last week or two I've basically been non-stop listening to artists from this label. Started out with Son Lux (whose music is pretty fucking epic), and now have some Odd Nosdam, Alias, Why? and Dosh. If anyone else has Anticon suggestions please tell me.

But for now everyone should listen to Son Lux. I think there's a fair amount of free stuff on last.fm.

Anyone else listen to this lot?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I listened to Son Lux's Weapons and Break and it's really not my thing. When I read "avant-garde hip-hop" on anticon.'s Wikipedia page I was expecting something along the lines of Dälek or Mike Patton's Peeping Tom.

My favorite label at the moment would have to be Southern Lord. Not only do they have some great artists, but they truly pay attention to quality. Their vinyl releases often come with deluxe gatefold jackets and other goodies; my copy of Boris' Pink came with blotter paper.
    The fiery red Torino rolled to the curb, we hit the pavement ready for action.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hm yeah, Son Lux has been profoundly mis-tagged by a lot of people. It kind of falls into an 'alternative hip hop' sound, but the vocals and general tones of the songs are on the trip hop side. So it misled a lot of people.

I was looking at Peeping Tom, actually, would you recommend a specific album?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There's only their self titled album at the moment. Might be a new one out in 2009.

BANNED
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have Genghis Tron's 4th remix of Board Up the House that was released on Anticon.

BANNED
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I listened to Son Lux and I thought it was okay. It sounded kind of... pretentious if that makes any sense. Like they wrote it with the idea that it was the best most amazing thing ever when it isn't.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I downloaded that Peeping Tom album and it was pretty good (quite a list of associations on that album), but I can see why you'd be confused if that's what you were expecting from Son Lux, lol.

In further news, listened to some Sage Francis yesterday and it wasn't too bad. I think it's a grower.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by benzss View Post
    I downloaded that Peeping Tom album and it was pretty good (quite a list of associations on that album), but I can see why you'd be confused if that's what you were expecting from Son Lux, lol.
    Who knew Norah Jones had such a dirty mouth?