Thread: ARRRG George R. R. Martin

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default ARRRG George R. R. Martin

AHHHHH What is he thinking? Dance with Dragon was set to come out this month, and on the release date they were just like, "Oops it's not done, you have to wait another year."

Anyone else reading A Song of Fire and Ice?

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i am in the middle of a storm of swords and don't have time to continue
    he can take as long as he likes so long as he doesn't pull a robert jordan

note how stephen king got railed for rushing the last 3 books of the dark tower

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do I want the series finished asap? Yes.

Do I think that dance of Dragons will be the last book? Maybe.

Do I want him to rush DofD, either way? No fucking way.

Is he allowed to die like Jordan, before he finishes it? No and thank Christ I decided not to read Wheel of Time.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Martin has allowed the story to twist out of his hands. It's bigger than his original plans for it, and he can't seem to cope with the incredibly enlarged (and in my eyes unnecessary) scope. The story of Westeros and it's succession for a King is interesting enough in it's own right. Adding in Daenarys' storyline in was a huge increase in scope that was difficult enough on it's own, but now he's also throwing in Arya's storyline exploring a new culture, that guy from the Iron Isles who is trying to be big and bad while balancing the original succession story. This doesn't even mention what is happening beyond the Wall and whatnot.

I get the impression that the original story was just the Westeros succession tale, but with all the extras I just mentioned that probably were added on the fly, his cast is so huge and the amount of things happening is so great that he has just lost control of it altogether, or simply lost interest in it. FfC was fucking weak in comparison to the first three books, which were really, really well written (my favourite being Storm of Swords). I think he just let the project spiral away and doesn't care about it anymore, which is a disappointment.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ah! Yeah I can't wait till A Dance of Dragon is released. I stopped reading A feast for crows about 100 pages before the end. I just didn't want to finish on a cliffhanger and have no continuations.

As for Robert Jordan, I was on his 5th book ( The fires of Heaven) before i learned of his passing...and to think that the 11th book was just a look back in the past!
    "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society"- Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Only when the power of love overcomes the love of power will the world know true peace."-Jimi Hendrix

""They must find it hard, those who have taken authority as the truth, rather then truth as authority""-Gerald Massey