Thread: PC Case Suggestions

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default PC Case Suggestions

I've been rambling on about building a new PC for the better part of 3 years now. Well I finally have enough in my savings account and then some, plus double that in my checking so I'm fully set on funding unless my car blows up or some crazy shit like that.

I already have a seagate barracuda HDD, an Asus DVD drive and my birthday is in two weeks so the next piece of hardware I wish to acquire is the chassis, whether it be a present from my girlfriend or a present to myself. However I can't decide for the life of me which case I want.

I'm stuck on the Cooler Master Cosmos S, Cooler Master Stacker 830 evo, Thermaltake Armor +. Each have key features I really want and each have some things I dislike which prevent me from making a decision.

The key aspects I'm looking for are
    -Great air Flow Performance
    -Style
    -Full Tower Size
    -LED Versatility

Key Features I'm looking for.
    -External case ports mounted at the top
    -Fan Filters
    -eSata Port
    -Bottom mounted PSU

I would choose the Cosmos S hands down if it wasn't for it being a little more geared toward red LEDs. I'm unsure if I want red, blue, green, or purple LED's. The touch sensitive power button and lack of a reset button is also an issue but a very minor one.

If anyone can tell me what they know about any of the three cases I'm looking at, I'd be very appreciative. I'm open to suggestions as well. Pictures with LED's would also be great as well, after all I can't determine if a case is complimented well with blue, green, red, or purple LED's unless I can see its first hand. Price isn't really a factor, just as long as its under 300 or so.

EDIT: Also I don't particularly like the look of the Antec 900 and 1200 towers. I've been suggested those by alot of people so I figured I'd make that clear.

UPDATE: I have chosen the Cooler Master Cosmos 1000
    Last edited by ChedWick; 11-04-2008 at 06:09 PM.

God That Smelled Good linkinkampf19's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It may be under your price range or not your style, but I've been suggesting the Raidmax Smilodon for some of my friends, and one of them already has it. It has the LEDs in the fans and so far, airflow seems relatively reasonable. It's going for $75 on Newegg now by itself, but for a extra little cost, it comes with the low end power supplies that Radimax is known for. This is the one product I'd buy from them, and it has gotten similar rave reviews by most buyers on Newegg.

The fold out motherboard cage doesn't hurt either. Saves you from many a scratch. Granted, the LEDs aren't super customizable, but if your are looking to do such, getting removable LEDs separately is one option you may be happier with. get a decent main case, and then trick it out to your linking when you build the beast. Only quirk I have about it is that the lettering on the front and inside the side panel is a bit corny, but otherwise, it's a stable case for a decent setup.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811156063

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That is actually a case I wanted a few years ago. There was something about it I liked and the swing down motherboard tray design was really nice. I'll keep that one in mind but I feel it might be too small. I plan to do some customizing internally and I may need lots of room. I may buy that one to house all my current components since my current case is kinda falling apart.

God That Smelled Good linkinkampf19's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, maybe I'm just a few steps behind the newest cases and such, but this case is plenty big. I don't know how much longer video cards have gotten (I have an 8600GTS, which I'm guessing is about 9"), so you may be out of luck there, but overall, it's a solid case design. I wish I had more suggestions, though I do have to say that the Thermaltake Armor is very nice as well. One of my former co-workers from Radio Shack ended up getting not that, but the Tsunami (I think that's what he has), and he thoroughly enjoys it.

EDIT: and I just realized the case I suggested has none of the features you wanted

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yea, I do like that case. I may use it in the future for a simple workstation build, but it just doesn't serve my needs/desires for a high end gaming rig. Which is a shame, I do like the futuristic design.

Another option I'm considering is the Cosmos 1000 or 1010. Its has a very sleek design and moding the side panel with a clear window wont decrease that at all. I feel it may with the S version because of the black mesh design on all sides. I just don't like the positioning of the hard drives with the 1000 and 1010. Also the door is a little problematic. If it had a vent on the bottom door for airflow and rotated HDD slots I'd be all over it.

My problem is I'm acting like an indecisive girl.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

NZXT Whisper
    Cooler Master 590
    Hiper Osiris

Honestly I would just get something from Lian-Li, I never liked the obnoxious look of those cases.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absolution View Post
    NZXT Whisper
    Cooler Master 590
    Hiper Osiris

Honestly I would just get something from Lian-Li, I never liked the obnoxious look of those cases.
    The HIPER OSIRIS is a very real possibility. Its simple with a rather sleek design. The others,.. not so much. I'll read up more on it and get some specifics.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

For the time being I believe I've excluded the Thermaltake Armor series and have left myself trying to decide between the CM Cosmos S, Cosmos 1010, Cosmos 1000, and CM Stacker 830 evo.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119150
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119147
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119138
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119122

I just really didn't like the look of the Armors this morning and narrowed it down. Who knows how long this will last. So now I just need input, advantages disadvantages, and performance info. If anyone has experience with any of theses. I figure I can always mod a side window on any of them and for the 1010 and 1000 I can mod the HDD tray for better cooling.

i got this special title for being a douchebag
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

keep in mind that a bottom mounted psu would vent into your graphics/sound card

also look into lian li cases. id rather have a low/mid range lian li than anything else simply because it is so much easier to work on and the build quality is miles away from cheaper cases. i got an open box p60 on newegg and its probably the best case i have ever had even with a few defects

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Frankly, I think you're spending wayyyy too much money on a case.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why did you opt for not a thermaltake case?
    I have one and I'm very happy with it.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ChedWick View Post
    For the time being I believe I've excluded the Thermaltake Armor series and have left myself trying to decide between the CM Cosmos S, Cosmos 1010, Cosmos 1000, and CM Stacker 830 evo.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119150
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119147
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119138
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119122

I just really didn't like the look of the Armors this morning and narrowed it down. Who knows how long this will last. So now I just need input, advantages disadvantages, and performance info. If anyone has experience with any of theses. I figure I can always mod a side window on any of them and for the 1010 and 1000 I can mod the HDD tray for better cooling.
    At that price point, why aren't you looking at Lian Li or Silverstone? I have this case and love it, but most of their cases are really nice.
    Last edited by ephekt; 09-23-2008 at 08:52 PM.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cost isn't really an issue . One of these is most likely going to be a present for my bday or christmas; plus If I'm going to have something this big its going to be one of the centers of attention in my room. So I want something worth while.

I did look into a few Lian Li cases and I'm just not digging their design. Style is a big factor in my decision.

I didn't really think about the PSU heat on the video card, I'll have to think that one over.

As for deciding against the Armor + series. I thought about it for a while and determined that they did have just about everything I wanted in a case, but why haven't I decided on one of them after all this time.... I concluded that I don't particularly like their design. It took me a little while to realize this but right now I'm just not into it as much as I thought I was.
    Last edited by ChedWick; 09-23-2008 at 08:53 PM.

i got this special title for being a douchebag
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

if you really have to have the psu on the bottom i think theres some full tower cases that section off the psu from the rest of the case

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What about this case?

I've run bottom mount PSUs for years, the difference in heat on cards is negligible as PSUs vent mostly from the back of the case. You will get some heat off the unit itself, but it's easily dissipated with case fans if you're worried.

Something to consider about the Cosmos... the reviews I saw said the HD trays prevented proper cooling of the drives. YMMV on that, as they may have updated the design since I last checked or the reviewers might have just been idiots. It's why I decided to stick with Lian Li over one with my last build though.

Also, this guy has a lot of video reviews of the higher end cases.

I did look into a few Lian Li cases and I'm just not digging their design. Style is a big factor in my decision.
    To each his own I guess. I like that they're minimal, well designed/functional and don't look ricey or have a billion LEDs.
    Last edited by ephekt; 09-23-2008 at 09:29 PM.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Perhaps incredibly excessive and way out of price range but I have to say that this case is the most colossus and badass case I've ever seen.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811215012

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just a little update.

After another month of going back and forth from one case to another I've finally decided on a case AND forced myself to order it last night before I become unsure again. So far I feel no regrets.

I decided to go with the highly rated Cooler Master Cosmos 1000. The case has very good cooling performance due to a negative air affect; I also really like the overall look of the case along with the interior and exterior features. The one thing I do not like is the position of the HDD cage. However the case is very customizable and there are tons of reports and articles on the web of custom cosmos cases. So I may mod myself a better HDD cage, a front fan and/or pain job.
    Last edited by ChedWick; 11-04-2008 at 06:09 PM.