Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got Final Fantasy X for Christmas, it's my first FF game - what do I need to know?

Strangle Hazard thank mr skeltal's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Got Final Fantasy X for Christmas, it's my first FF game - what do I need to know?

Title pretty much says it all. I've been interested in getting into the series and X sounds like the best one from reviews.

What do I need to know about backstory or whatever to get into this series quickly?

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Well, most Final Fantasy games have their own storyline...except this game and it's sequel, FFX-2(which is not FFXII).

As long as you pay attention, the story should flow for you.

Make sure you explore everywhere, even if you don't need to go there.

I think you'll have fun.

Also, there are many subtle references to the other games that you won't get if you haven't played the other games(such as reused names and whatnot)...but don't worry, they're not essential.
    I hear the voices inside my head. They counsel me. They understand. They talk to me.

Quote Originally Posted by djwolford View Post
    You know, when Tidus points out that you have failed at internetting, it's probably time to go ahead and off yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by gwahir View Post
    pepsi reserves the right to tell cryptic to get out at any time

it's in the CD charter

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Also, I do think this is the best FF game(even though FF7 is very close). It's where my original screenname is derived from.
    I hear the voices inside my head. They counsel me. They understand. They talk to me.

You know, when Tidus points out that you have failed at internetting, it's probably time to go ahead and off yourself.

it's in the CD charter

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This and Final Fantasy VII were my 2 favorite final fantasy's and it is hard for me to pick which I like more. Final Fantasy X is excellent, just start the game and get into it, there is no background info you should know from any other final fantasy's or anything. Pay attention to the game, make sure you understand the sphere grid fully and enjoy this game is the shit.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think you got jewed. That game came out like 5 years ago. It is however an awesome game, and I have never beaten it. Fucking Seymour Mortichai or whatever his name is always kills me. Always.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shinysides View Post
    I think you got jewed. That game came out like 5 years ago. It is however an awesome game, and I have never beaten it. Fucking Seymour Mortichai or whatever his name is always kills me. Always.
    Haven't you heard, we're in a recession. And Santa is not real.
    (also, I got LittleBigPlanet as well)

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Scarf View Post
    Haven't you heard, we're in a recession. And Santa is not real.
    (also, I got LittleBigPlanet as well)
    Ive been playing LBP for the past 16 hours, with no end in sight.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shinysides View Post
    Ive been playing LBP for the past 16 hours, with no end in sight.
    Add RickScarf to your friends list, I'll be playing it a lot tonight after the wife goes to bed here in a few hours.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Alrighty, tag is DiverDan7234 or Manjews depending on who's playing.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

FFX is an excellent game. Again, it is it's own unique plot contained in a unique world. Do you have the US or PAL edition? As the PAL has some bonus content if I am correct in thinking. FFX offers the chance to really uber your characters and the PAL version offers super bosses to match your potential prowess. FFVII/FFXIII let you stat max also but it was far more constrained and tedius than in FFX.

This is a game worthy of 2 play throughs. Once just to beat the game and then a second to do the additional stuff which can really extend the life of the game. If you are stuck at all, don't hesitate to ask as I fucking love talking about FFX lol.

Here are some tips:

-As you can switch characters in fight, make sure all your characters make an appearance. In order to get SP, you must use an action turn (displayed on the right of the screen). Just hit triangle if they cannot do much damage, then come their next turn, replace them so everyone gets SP.

-Overkill increases the SP earned (I think by double) so it is best to start a fight with a weaker set of characters, use a turn then switch them with a high hitter to increase your chance of getting as many overkills as possible.

-As soon as you get the overdrive mode which charges your overdrive when you deal damage, set it as the mode of the specific character. I believe it is warrior. For your overdrive bar to charge, it depends on what mode is selected. I believe all start with stoic which charges is when you take damage. However you deal alot more than you take, so this charges your overdrive faster.

-Tidus learns his overdrives based on the number of times he uses his current one. So use his as soon as it charges, you will learn his more powerful ones much faster. For the others, save them. It is better to keep them for boss fights so you can unload them, only use Tidus's one when his bar is charged and make sure he learns overdrive mode warrior (I think that is its name, charges it when dealing damage).

-When you enter a new area, I always find spend at least 30 mins-1 hour grinding. Once you can kill all mobs, with overkills with relative speed and ease, continue on your way.

-With regards to boss fights, many have their own overdrive bars. Yuna's Aeons are your meatshields for these, ensure you summon one before they can use them and have it take the hit. If you have an Aeon's overdrive bar fully charged (easy to do) and Yuna's also, you can rand summon one, use its overdrive then once it gets another turn you can use it again, so added damage.

-Maybe not for your first time, but on a second play through GET ALL THE DESTRUCTION SPHERES from the temples. For maxing out your character stats it makes life much easier.

Credits
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Once you beat the game as Meg Ryan you unlock Tom Hanks as a playable character.

Why so delirious?
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You need to know that you should check out FFVII after you beat X if you happen to like it. Though if you can't find that, then you can get FFVI (FFIII in America) much easier, and it also happens to be the favorite of many who have actually beaten it.

FFVII is easily my very favorite though. Not only because it has such amazing music (as do all the final fantasy games I've played, though VII takes the cake), but because it has so much mystery and intrigue even after you've beaten it. Though it's not the bad kind where you are like "why didn't they explain that?" It's the kind of conspiracy-theory feeling when you actually believe it may be true and that you are onto something that very few others know about. That probably sounds ridiculous, but FFVII should not be overlooked. FF7 Citadel (a website) has many cool things about the game that you don't even realize when you're playing, but that make a second play-through all the more engaging. Going there beforehand though would be a gigantic mistake as there is a massive spoiler that is hard to avoid when looking at anything about the game.

Good luck with X, let us know how it went and what you thought of it.

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UnreasonablyReasonable View Post
    You need to know that you should check out FFVII after you beat X if you happen to like it. Though if you can't find that, then you can get FFVI (FFIII in America) much easier, and it also happens to be the favorite of many who have actually beaten it.

FFVII is easily my very favorite though. Not only because it has such amazing music (as do all the final fantasy games I've played, though VII takes the cake), but because it has so much mystery and intrigue even after you've beaten it. Though it's not the bad kind where you are like "why didn't they explain that?" It's the kind of conspiracy-theory feeling when you actually believe it may be true and that you are onto something that very few others know about. That probably sounds ridiculous, but FFVII should not be overlooked. FF7 Citadel (a website) has many cool things about the game that you don't even realize when you're playing, but that make a second play-through all the more engaging. Going there beforehand though would be a gigantic mistake as there is a massive spoiler that is hard to avoid when looking at anything about the game.

Good luck with X, let us know how it went and what you thought of it.
    The only problem with getting FFVII is that it costs so fucking much nowadays.

it's in the CD charter

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Well right now apparently the (used) disc is unreadable by the PS2 (it looks fine but is scratched I guess) so I will be swapping it out tomorrow

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pepsi View Post
    The only problem with getting FFVII is that it costs so fucking much nowadays.
    Or you can get it pretty easily for free...

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Killuminati View Post
    Or you can get it pretty easily for free...
    I prefer Authentic...you know...PS1 with the discs and old school controller.

it's in the CD charter

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I prefer Authentic...you know...PS1 with the discs and old school controller.
    Yea but there are too many discs to keep track of for me and they get scratched so easily. Plus on PC you can hook up a 360 controller and have better graphics and such than ever existed on ps1.

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Killuminati View Post
    Yea but there are too many discs to keep track of for me and they get scratched so easily. Plus on PC you can hook up a 360 controller and have better graphics and such than ever existed on ps1.
    It's all about authenticity bro.

And anyone with a third of a brain can keep track of three discs.

it's in the CD charter

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have FF7,8 and 9, but cannot play them due to my TV, the discs play at the wrong frequency (I think) so the image is all messed up and flickers.

Rick, get another copy. Don't give up on FFX, it is in my opinion one of the best RPG's you can get for consoles.

Why so delirious?
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's all about authenticity bro.

And anyone with a third of a brain can keep track of three discs.
    I never had a Playstation so I bought it for the PC when it came out and it lost nothing for me (as you can see from my earlier post). I'm also told the music is the only difference, but that can be made to be identical to the Playstation version as well with the help of a transformation guide I saw. The music it comes with is the same anyway just in MIDI format, so depending on what you play it on it actually can sound better than the Playstation version.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gismo View Post
    Rick, get another copy. Don't give up on FFX, it is in my opinion one of the best RPG's you can get for consoles.
    Got a working copy today, put in an hour or so on it (I gave it a break when I got to the ship with that weird group of people). Pretty fun so far

vvvvvvv yeah I got the first one, and saw the two blue orbs (one I couldn't understand, written in al bhed, and the other was to load any existing dictionaries which of course I didn't have) when you first start out swimming. I'm the type of person that explores every nook and cranny so I'll be sure to keep an eye out for them.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Got a working copy today, put in an hour or so on it (I gave it a break when I got to the ship with that weird group of people). Pretty fun so far
    The beginning is a bit slow. It always annoyed me when I would start the game over. Speaking of that weird group of people (al bheds) make sure you try and collect as many of the al bhed dictionary things you can (the first one is on the ship you just went on). They can be pretty useful.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Before you got onto the ship, did you get the moon crest(or sigil, cannot remember)? Basically each char has an ultimate weapon, but it is crap, you need its corresponding sigil and crest to unlock it. In most FF games, the most hp you can get is 9999 and the max dmg in 1 hit is usually 9999, but in X you can ad another 9 to that, ultimate weapons allow you to do 99,999 damage. It is awesome when you first start to hit that kind of damage.

Keep mind those tips I listed, some will help you big time. You know, I am considering wiring up my Ps2 and playing FFX again. Completed it a million times, each time I play it through it still feels awesome.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

No I didn't see/get that

Also, in case anyone else sees this thread and is thinking of trying out (or replaying) the game, I have a PDF of the official strategy guide. Shoot me a PM if you want it.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can you link what it says about the butterfly catching minigame? This IMO is the toughest part in the game, consisting of 2 courses, I can complete 1 but not the other. It is one of the few things I haven't done in the game.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Can you link what it says about the butterfly catching minigame? This IMO is the toughest part in the game, consisting of 2 courses, I can complete 1 but not the other. It is one of the few things I haven't done in the game.
    The (quite useless) text from the strategy guide can be found here: http://www.ffextreme.com/ff10/sidequests-p1.html

You might be better off googling for that specifically or checking through the FAQs here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/game/197344.html

edit: and reading through the guide the sections that I've passed, I haven't missed the moon crest yet. Looks like it is near the beach I will be headed to soon.

Credits
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Uh, I always thought the butterfly catching mini-game was one of the easiest ones to do for an ultimate weapon. I guess some of the others are pretty easy, but a lot more tedious (lightning bolt dodging; blitzball; etc)

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The (quite useless) text from the strategy guide can be found here: http://www.ffextreme.com/ff10/sidequests-p1.html

You might be better off googling for that specifically or checking through the FAQs here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/game/197344.html

edit: and reading through the guide the sections that I've passed, I haven't missed the moon crest yet. Looks like it is near the beach I will be headed to soon.
    If you are on the ship, and on the way to Killika, you have missed it for now. I was just wondering if the official guide had anything that might not be elsewhere. I've read all the gamefaqs stuff, a wonderful resource. But that minigame is fucking hard lol.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

If you are on the ship, and on the way to Killika, you have missed it for now. I was just wondering if the official guide had anything that might not be elsewhere. I've read all the gamefaqs stuff, a wonderful resource. But that minigame is fucking hard lol.
    I've never heard of Killika. I just beat that underwater boss where you learn the trigger command to Stand By, and got whisked away by Sin to the island where they love me because I can play Blitzball. Right at the start of that island is where the crescent moon was. I'm just to the point now of exploring the town and getting ready to head to the temple.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UnreasonablyReasonable View Post
    Though if you can't find that, then you can get FFVI (FFIII in America) much easier, and it also happens to be the favorite of many who have actually beaten it.

I think FFVI was the last game I truly devoted myself to. I've played through VII, VIII and IX, as well as GBA and DS remakes of both FF and Dragon Quest games, but never had the same dedication I did back in '94. My old FFIII SNES cartridge has my main characters at level 99 and all characters (except Shadow, left him on the Floating Continent) at level 75 or higher. I'll still pop it in from time to time just to go back up (or down) Kefka's Tower and defeat Kefka for the millionth time.

X seemed pretty decent during the few hours I played it. I popped in Kingdom Hearts, though, and didn't look back. I just got a PS2 but have been playing Kingdom Hearts 2 instead of giving FFX another look-see.

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I've never heard of Killika. I just beat that underwater boss where you learn the trigger command to Stand By, and got whisked away by Sin to the island where they love me because I can play Blitzball. Right at the start of that island is where the crescent moon was. I'm just to the point now of exploring the town and getting ready to head to the temple.
    So you just got to Besaid. Like i said earlier...explore everywhere...your guide will tell you where to go anyway.

And it's not a bad idea to just sit there for an hour and fight monsters to get your sphere grid filled.

it's in the CD charter

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

AAA I forgot about the AlBhed ship. Hehe sorry about that.

As Pepsi said, take some time to kill monsters, I'd do it before you enter the village if you can and deffo after it. At least on of your characters will get an ability to extract power/mana/speed spheres, this is a good time to not only empower your team a little but to also stock up on these.

A very manly muppet Mad Pino Rage's Avatar
    Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Check out Final Fantasy IX and Final Fantasy XII. FFIX and FFXII turn back to more typical and traditional setting of Final Fantasy with the latter exploring many new concepts.
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
    Albert Einstein

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

IX is a charming little game with perhaps one of the most difficult to acheive weapons in any game ever (Exalibur 2). Essentially you had to get to the room just before the final boss in under 12 hours. In a 4 disc game that is bloody hard lol. I had a guide for it which you basically had to be at point X by Y time and I just gave in eventually.

My TV cannot play the old FF games, the image flickers like mad...but there is a chance IX might, might just play on it. Im going to dig it out and try. It didn't have the epic feel of 7 and 10 (or indeed 8 imo), although it does at times rise to epic heights, the joy of playing it lies purely in its charming nod back do its predecessors.

XII dissapointed me hugely. The story and the weakness of the characters really let the game down in my opnion. In an attempt to be different, somethings worked, like the battle system but removing much of the fantasy from the plot killed it for me. And the old framework of protagonist being linked with the events threatening the world and the antagonist, aswell as the love interest also having a link, whilst old remains a very good framework to build a plot around. And it had been working well.

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

It's marvelously confusing every time I see the name Tidus in this thread.

it's in the CD charter

Credits
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Final Fantasy XII is probably the worst game in the series (story and gameplay) aside from the obvious exception of XI.

I guess it was on par with FFX-2

Sheriff of Paddy's captain castle's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

that you're playing the worst of the series
    Quote Originally Posted by Atmosfear View Post
    Yeah, the porn stars are the ones who are gross and creepy, not the guy who tells his girlfriends "I just like watching chicks getting their vag's pounded"

Virgins who have never had a girlfriend are hereby banned from PS starting yesterday
    Quote Originally Posted by no_brains_no_worries View Post
    You're probably the only person who be able to commit felony-level acts of violence in nerd rage.
    Quote Originally Posted by CyanideWyrm View Post
    Captain Castle: Now with the ability to fuck you into atheism
    Quote Originally Posted by DAVIDSDIVAD View Post
    Holy shit you are unfunny

Credits
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nermy2k View Post
    Final Fantasy XII is probably the worst game in the series (story and gameplay) aside from the obvious exception of XI.

Well said.

As for what you need to know about before playing FFX, in spite of what everyone else has said I really think the best answer is: nothing. It is its own story separate from all other Final Fantasies, its own fighting and leveling system (the best leveling system ever, if you ask me), and its own everything else. Excellent game.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nermy2k View Post

Agreed, I have been so pissed since the release of ffx.

the eagle
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by captain castle View Post
    that you're playing the worst of the series
    Agreed. Easily the weakest entry into the series for me.

Dislikes: Most of the gameplay.
    Linearity.
    How fucking dumb Tidus is.
    How fucking annoying Tidus is.
    How fucking dumb and annoying Yuna is.
    Bitch with the belt clothes.
    Battle system.
    Blitz-ball being incredibly stat based and involving no real game-play skill.
    Chocobo fucking flag race or whatever.

Likes: Sphere grid, although it was done just as well in Rogue Galaxy, a game I enjoyed far more.
    Uh...
    John DiMaggio doing some of the voices, I guess. Bender is good in whatever form you can get.
    I like having god-like characters.
    And...
    Well, hm.

FFX is nowhere near the epic fail that FFVIII was, though. FFVIII suffered the same problem Oblivion did - I never felt the sense that I was growing more powerful, as the enemies grew with me. I was salaried. Magic wasn't quite magic. The storyline confused me until I figured out Rinoa was Ultimecia. Weapons were a bitch to get.

I mean, in FFVIII, the final battle would literally be easier had you not leveled up at all in the game. Oh, hey, you want more money? Take a quiz!

In Oblivion, at least there was a shit load to do to hide the fact that goblins will, in essence, always take the same number of swings of an iron sword to kill at level 1 as they did at level 10. Guilds and shit like that. FFVIII just fell on its goddamn face. I can't stand that game. I did like the story.

I also like the story for FFX. And I wish they would have, I dunno, finished the story for FFXII. I would probably have liked it more then, although I still enjoy it.

My favorite FF games are V (I know, it's the easiest, but I have a save file on FF Chronicles for the PS1 where I have all my classes maxed) and FF IX, which was, at times, Nintendo hard.

EDIT: My favorite RPG is Chrono Cross, though. Weird leveling system, weapons that were just as difficult to get as FFVIII, but 40+ characters, ties to one of the greatest RPG's of all times, and an incredible story. Multiple play-throughs are required to get every character and every weapon and do every side-quest and get every ending. New Game + always makes games better, and I wish FF games would employ them. I mean, often times I'll shut off a game for extended periods when it gets tedious, which will make me forget chunks of story at a time. If I had the ability to, once I finished a game, go back and play through it as a powerful diety and focus on learning the story and the mythos behind the game, I would most certainly try and finish more games.

Also, Chrono Cross has the most incredible instrumental score for a video game that I have ever heard. When I have it on in my car, people can't even tell it's from a video game, which really says something.

I need to play that game again. Here's to hoping it comes out on the PSN.
    Last edited by MalReynolds; 12-29-2008 at 10:37 AM.