Thread: Puppy driving me crazy

A very manly muppet Mad Pino Rage's Avatar
    Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cool Puppy driving me crazy

My little sister got a 13-week old mini-pincher. Don't know why he's so active at night but he'll whimper and moan and make little puppy barks until someone takes him from his cage and sleeps with him. My family is asleep right now, and I'm trying to study but puppy wants to whimper and moan and make little puppy barks. I've never had a pet before, so I'm not sure what to do. Right now, I got him on a lease and he is thoroughly engaged with chewing on the lease. I'd really like to not have any attention on him since I've got to study, and thankfully I'll only be here for two more days. Any advice on how to deal with the scrappy young pup?

Also, I seem to be the only one who he won't listen to and he won't make puppy turds when I take him out. In fact, I just let him out and he ran out from me and pooped all over the floor. I am a little bit flustered and tired to deal with a puppy outsmarting me. Thanks for any help.
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
    Albert Einstein

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do you have those pads? They make pads that attract puppies/dogs to piss or shit on them. I would leave them by the door and see if he goes on them instead of all over your floor.

Try having your sister play with him a lot during the day to tire him out, sort of like a toddler. Don't let him nap too long during the day and maybe he will sleep during the night. There is always the hot water bottle and clock trick that will help him sleep too.
    Quote Originally Posted by sycld View Post
    Nadia.... I'm gonna rep you so fucking hard.
    http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k5...d/nadiaqs3.jpg

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh crud. I think that is what he crapped on. They were near the door and he crapped on one and I threw them all the way because I was wondering why someone would leave out all these unfolded napkins. I finally stopped paying attention to him and he just crawled into his cage and went to sleep. I kinda feel horrible... but alas peace and quiet.

edit - I'm not real sure what you are talking about when you say hot water bottle and clock trick. Could you clarify?
    Last edited by Mad Pino Rage; 12-28-2008 at 03:58 AM.
    Albert Einstein

BANNED
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The hot water bottle wrapped in a towel will give him something warm to snuggle with and remind him of his brothers and sisters. The clock will serve as his mother's heartbeat. In a nutshell your puppy is cold and lonely at night.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They also make stuffed animals especially for pets that have seperation anxiety and they're not too expensive. Look at pet stores for them. I know Petsmart has one kind. The heat pack lasts a lot longer and the heartbeat feels more real. It's also soft and furry so it feels more like a real mother/littermate.

But no matter WHAT you do NEVER take him out when he starts crying. That teaches him that when he cries, he gets what he wants, so he'll just cry more.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This may or may not work but dogs will drink beer. Put a half of a bottle in a dish and let him drink it. That should relax Arfy enough. The bad news is if this doesn't work you will have pee and runny poo all over the house. Good luck.

the common sense fairy solecistic's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A puppy who is not yet housebroken should be kennel training. It's a LOT of work (and part of why I'm so glad our border collie came to us at two years old instead of eight weeks), and the puppy potty pads can help, but have your family do some research around the web on the best approach for your puppy's breed and personality. That helped me tons with training my dog to sit, stay, and stop jumping up on people.

Whatever you do, don't let people get down on the floor to sleep with him. That teaches the pup that he is alpha in your pack (I know it sounds like lame Dog Whisperer crap, but it's absolutely true), and you'll have one hell of a time trying to break him of that later.

Read up on kennel training and be prepared to take him out frequently. Eventually he'll master his bladder and with the right support from his masters, he'll be a great dog.

BANNED
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i liked the get the puppy to drink beer idea.

otherwise.. a rolled newspaper seems to do numbers ...

it's only two more days.. lock the puppy in a different part of the house ..

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I passed on some of the advice to my parents. My family doesn't seemed concerned since my sister is more than happy to have the puppy sleep in her bed. Had a brick and a fifth of Jack ready for the puppy and me, but looks like puppy is out of the plans. Thanks for the advice everyone!
    Albert Einstein