Thread: .22 LR conversion for my AR-15

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU Anonymous D's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default .22 LR conversion for my AR-15

Ive been thinking about getting one of these, mainly because bullets are so much cheaper. I can get 550 .22 bullets for the price of 20 .223 bullets.

This is the one Im thinking about getting. Anyone here ever seen or used one?

http://www.spikestactical.com/z/inde...roducts_id=176

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It doesn't seem high for price. I guess it works but I would think 22 long rifle wouldn't have enough gas pressure to push the bolt back. The bolt also looks odd and I wonder how many load problems it has? Or does the magazine extend up into the mag well far enough to not cause load problems? I'm sure they got all the kinks that I would consider it not working because of those problems worked out and runs fine. It just looks funny to me. If it was higher priced I'd have major reservations on buying one until I saw it working.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Might be fun to shoot and lower the costs but if you need to kill something I wouldn't recommend it.

Also on the cost thing anony, yesterday when I was at academy 7.62 x39 was cheaper than .223 Time for you to trade the AR for an AK.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

One of the guys at the range had one, I don't know if it was the one you show, and it was a pretty cool accessory. His worked well and did not FTF while I was there.

22 conversions are great fun and practical too. They allow you to get in a lot of trigger time with your real weapon while not spending an arm and a leg on ammo.
    Green is the new Red.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic View Post
    It doesn't seem high for price. I guess it works but I would think 22 long rifle wouldn't have enough gas pressure to push the bolt back. The bolt also looks odd and I wonder how many load problems it has? Or does the magazine extend up into the mag well far enough to not cause load problems? I'm sure they got all the kinks that I would consider it not working because of those problems worked out and runs fine. It just looks funny to me. If it was higher priced I'd have major reservations on buying one until I saw it working.
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Might be fun to shoot and lower the costs but if you need to kill something I wouldn't recommend it.
    Ive never heard any problems with them. The gas system works differently when you have this in.
    Also on the cost thing anony, yesterday when I was at academy 7.62 x39 was cheaper than .223 Time for you to trade the AR for an AK.
    I knew this when I bought my AR, and I still bought the AR.

Quote Originally Posted by smith357 View Post
    One of the guys at the range had one, I don't know if it was the one you show, and it was a pretty cool accessory. His worked well and did not FTF while I was there.

22 conversions are great fun and practical too. They allow you to get in a lot of trigger time with your real weapon while not spending an arm and a leg on ammo.
    Thats why I want to get it. Lots of cheap trigger time.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What about that one belt-fed .22LR upper?

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crunker View Post
    What about that one belt-fed .22LR upper?
    Thats an entire upper. Im getting the conversion because all it replaces is the bolt and the mag. So its cheaper.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=414445

There's a Ciener for a little less. Sounds like a decent idea, save money while training with what is essentially the same rifle. The military used to use that concept, but I have never seen a .22 conversion. Just lots and lots of 5.56.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

From what Ive heard, the Ciener are good, but the customer service is non-existent. So Im staying away from them.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

IIRC, Ciener (the person) got into some legal trouble or something.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

IIRC, Ciener (the person) got into some legal trouble or something.
    I think it was because the phone number for his customer service never had a person on it, or even checking it.

Anyways, I ordered the Spikes Tactical one today. Along with some .40 S&W, 10MM, and 7MM Mauser bullets.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic View Post
    I figured out how they work. They dont actually push the whole bolt and buffer back like a normal AR will. If you look at the rod on the back you will see there are springs on it. It stays where it is, and it has internal pats that move. Thats why .22 ARs not need a buffer tube.

And Ive talked to someone who got theirs in and they were getting 1.5 in groups at 50 yards with rapid fire. And had 2 FTFs out of 300 rounds. But that is more than likely ammo related because it was a bulk pack.

This thing is gonna be fun once I get a suppressor. lol

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ive used one before. Yes it works. No it doesnt work very well. At times, it feels like firing a bolt action rifle.

You will probably have to lube and screw with it a lot or something as it jams frequently.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bowzer View Post
    Ive used one before. Yes it works. No it doesnt work very well. At times, it feels like firing a bolt action rifle.

You will probably have to lube and screw with it a lot or something as it jams frequently.
    There are different brands. Did you use the Spikes tactical one? I know there are some out there that are complete crap.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They say that Lakeside's upper often gives FTFs.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous D View Post
    There are different brands. Did you use the Spikes tactical one? I know there are some out there that are complete crap.
    I have no clue what kind or kinds I have used. They were purchased by the govt to use in A2s.

They wouldnt fire automatically at all btw.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

They say that Lakeside's upper often gives FTFs.
    Im just getting the bolt, not the entire upper.

I have no clue what kind or kinds I have used. They were purchased by the govt to use in A2s.

The ones the military uses are the Cenier ones IIRC. They are crap.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Never seen one. As I stated previously, I know DoD purchased some, but on the active side I've yet to see any.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Went shoot it today. I had my Ar and my buddy had his bolt action Savage .22. We shot about 750 rounds in like 3 hours. lol

Only problem with it is that sometimes the shell that is getting ejected will get caught in the bolt, and I had a few dud bullets, but besides that, I love it. And as for full auto on the conversion, mine has parts I can sue to make it work on a full auto lower. All they had were the F/A kits left in stock, so I got that.