Thread: Can the media just shut the fuck about Auburn hiring Gene Chizik already?

Merry fucking Christmas Atmosfear's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Can the media just shut the fuck about Auburn hiring Gene Chizik already?

I'm tired of this garbage about race in this. Auburn is getting a lot of flack for not hiring a black coach and quite frankly, none of it makes any sense.

The major complaint was Turner Gill, though Sly Croom is a more accomplished coach and a better fit. Croom played for Bear at Alabama, so I doubt he'd coach at Auburn anyways, so moving on to Gill.

8-4 in the MAC? Okay, Buffalo was one of the worst programs in the country and yes, three years later they won their conference. I get that. But it's the MAC. They aren't even a top mid-major conference (woefully behind the WAC, Mountain West, CUSA, at the very least.)

And look at Chizik's resume at Iowa State. It sucks. This should've be a cut-and-dry decision, right?

Bullshit. Look at it from an AD's standpoint. He already knows Chizik. Chizik was the mind behind Auburn's shutdown defense in 2004 when they ought to have been National Champions. Will Muschamp was a good replacement, but he was just a substitute. He went to Iowa State, which was a decent program in a decent conference and didn't do well. But he was at Iowa State.

He already knows how it works at Auburn. He knows what Auburn has available for him. He knows high school coaches in Alabama, Georgia, Florida, and Mississippi. He has relationships established with assistants, scouts, and administrators at Auburn. He's coming back for a job that would've been his if Tuberville had left a couple years earlier.

Most importantly, Chizik knows the SEC. This isn't the Big 8. This isn't the MAC. It's been the stand-out top conference in the country for this decade. It's a conference full of destinations, not resume builders. And it's fucking tough (just ask LSU, Florida, Alabama, or Georgia about how quickly a season can change.) Is Turner Gill ready for that? No. He's ready for a job at Boston College. You don't put unproven coaches in historic programs; you let them prove themselves somewhere else before you let them reach your destination school.

I don't think Chizik is going to have immediate success, because I don't think there was a coach available this year who is going to out-recruit Saban. I think Alabama's success has made Auburn awfully unattractive for top coaches, who don't have to go very far to see Spurrier's misery in Columbia.

Hey Turner Gill, I hear there's a coaching job open at Iowa State.

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Hey, Atmosfear, guess what...you're absolutely right.
    I hear the voices inside my head. They counsel me. They understand. They talk to me.

Quote Originally Posted by djwolford View Post
    You know, when Tidus points out that you have failed at internetting, it's probably time to go ahead and off yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by gwahir View Post
    pepsi reserves the right to tell cryptic to get out at any time

it's in the CD charter

Credits
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

The MAC is stronger than the WAC, Mountain West, and sure as hell CUSA.

Other than that, you are right, in spite of the fact that I hate that 'historic program' BS that people always cite.

Merry fucking Christmas Atmosfear's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Um is that a joke?

CUSA has East Carolina, Memphis, Southern Miss, Tulsa, and Rice. Southern Miss and Memphis weren't particularly strong this year, but they are perennial solid teams.

The Mountain West has Utah, BYU, and TCU. Colorado State is building a program, Air Force is the best of the service academies, and while I am partial to them, Wyoming is on the up as well (lol Tennessee.) The Mountain West was probably the best mid-major this year.

WAC has Hawaii (a season removed from the Sugar Bowl), Boise State (the original BCS buster), Louisiana Tech, Nevada, and Fresno State. Nevada has been a consistent bowl performer but I think Fresno has a big future.

The MAC has 13 teams (the most of any conference) and it's top team is... Buffalo? They only had 4 teams over .500; Ball State (joke MAC schedule 12-2), Buffalo (8-6), Western Michigan (9-5), Central Michigan (8-5.) Ball State is a flash in the pan and Buffalo is a building program. What else is there? Just weak schedules that someone has to win from.

Credits
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Atmosfear View Post
    Um is that a joke?

CUSA has East Carolina, Memphis, Southern Miss, Tulsa, and Rice. Southern Miss and Memphis weren't particularly strong this year, but they are perennial solid teams.

The Mountain West has Utah, BYU, and TCU. Colorado State is building a program, Air Force is the best of the service academies, and while I am partial to them, Wyoming is on the up as well (lol Tennessee.) The Mountain West was probably the best mid-major this year.

WAC has Hawaii (a season removed from the Sugar Bowl), Boise State (the original BCS buster), Louisiana Tech, Nevada, and Fresno State. Nevada has been a consistent bowl performer but I think Fresno has a big future.

The MAC has 13 teams (the most of any conference) and it's top team is... Buffalo? They only had 4 teams over .500; Ball State (joke MAC schedule 12-2), Buffalo (8-6), Western Michigan (9-5), Central Michigan (8-5.) Ball State is a flash in the pan and Buffalo is a building program. What else is there? Just weak schedules that someone has to win from.
    Woops, I mixed up the MAC and Mountain West

My bad