Thread: [Review] Dead Space

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default [Review] Dead Space

EDIT 2: NOTE that this review is focused on the PC version of the game.

I'll keep this one shorter.

What do ya'll think about it? I suppose there's not much to say; it's mostly linear gameplay with no multiplayer, though the atmospheric elements of the game beef up the relatively simple and shallow plot (as they do in any good horror movie).

The gameplay is pretty interesting. Having to sever limbs makes shots a little more on the strategic side and fits well with the horror theme. It also fits in well with the weapons types, which though they may not be quite as numerous as in some contemporary shooters, are also individually not as flexible as in other shooters due to the varied configuration of your opponents' limbs. Note also that you are only able to equip 4 weapons at a time, making your weapons selection require a bit of pre-planning and strategy as well (note that this limitation is probably mainly to make the game more suitable for consoles).

Also, am I wrong when I say that the pace of combat is at times a bit slower than that in other shooters? That's not a bad thing; it just lends a different overall feel to combat. That, coupled with the slower rate of enemies encounters, give the game a more strategic feel I think than some other FPSs.

Some cons are easy to list. First of all, there is probably little replay value here. The story is linear, with missions serving as nothing more than mileposts in the single undeviating story arc. The only extras that would merit an extra play through are the difficulty settings, finding extra free power nodes which are used to upgrade equipment, and trying different weapons selections. I don't know how long the primary story takes to play through.

Secondly, the PC version of the game is obviously a simple remapping of a console's controller keys to the keyboard, with the mouse taking the place of an analog stick. The controls still feel pretty damn slick, but somethings don't work as smoothly they would with a console control pad. For example, it's awkward to access the inventory and using the arrow keys to select, requiring you to either move your hand off the mouse or the ASDW keys to move.

So all in all, this is the game equivalent of a horror movie. It has great atmosphere and really draws the player in, but there is otherwise little narrative depth. The gameplay elements are focused and well-developed, and though they aren't chock full of innovation do add enough novelty to attract FPSers familiar with games in the genre.

EDIT: So much for keeping this short
    Last edited by sycld; 01-12-2009 at 04:32 PM.

PANDAS
    If you don't like them, then get the fuck out.

Quote Originally Posted by Think View Post
    Atheists are quite right

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would consider it an FPS mixed with a survival horror game with emphasis on the horror. Good game. It really is like playing a horror movie.

Merry fucking Christmas Atmosfear's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My gripe with the game is that while it is like playing a horror movie, the movie is like a watered-down, annoying version of Event Horizon.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The plot isn't going to win any Oscars, that's for sure, but I think that it still works well enough for this game. The pacing is well executed and voice acting is admirably done.

PANDAS

Atheists are quite right

God That Smelled Good linkinkampf19's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just started playing it myself on PC, and it's definitely up there on the scare factor. I'm not much of a horror buff, so the corridors really amp up my senses, and I really move slowly... Also, the PC is a bit tougher when it comes to controls. I play via a 360 controller, and I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to use the stasis module at first. Only after looking at the in game FAQ could I figure it out properly. It's a damn decent game though, and it succeeds in drawing you in.

the eagle
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If I were to have a top 10 list of games for last year, it would definitely be on it - I am a guy that likes to max out weapon stats and things of that nature, so the replayability came from that. Also, it came with trophies for the PS3, so there was also replay in that. Given that DLC is pretty much a 2-3 weekly thing from EA for new weapon perks and possibly additional map support, I'd say it's pretty good.

HOWEVER -

In THIRD PERSON SHOOTER GAMES do NOT make the protagonist silent. In FPS games, you can, because you want the player to get the sense that they are the character, and since they cannot see themselves, it works. In THIRD PERSON SHOOTERS, you can seeeee yourself, therefore, it's impossible to relate if the character does not speak.

Imagine Drake from Uncharted: Drake's Fortune as silent and you'll see what I'm talking about. It wouldn't be nearly as awesome as it is without the voice work from Nolan North.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MalReynolds View Post
    If I were to have a top 10 list of games for last year, it would definitely be on it - I am a guy that likes to max out weapon stats and things of that nature, so the replayability came from that. Also, it came with trophies for the PS3, so there was also replay in that.
    Oh right-- I forgot to bitch about the removal of achievements from the PC version. I don't know why developers strip achievements from games like this when implementing something as relatively simple as achievements would extend replayability greatly.

Given that DLC is pretty much a 2-3 weekly thing from EA for new weapon perks and possibly additional map support, I'd say it's pretty good.
    And another stupid way it's been stripped for the PC: no DLC for PC versions of the game.

HOWEVER -

In THIRD PERSON SHOOTER GAMES do NOT make the protagonist silent. In FPS games, you can, because you want the player to get the sense that they are the character, and since they cannot see themselves, it works. In THIRD PERSON SHOOTERS, you can seeeee yourself, therefore, it's impossible to relate if the character does not speak.

Imagine Drake from Uncharted: Drake's Fortune as silent and you'll see what I'm talking about. It wouldn't be nearly as awesome as it is without the voice work from Nolan North.
    I suppose this is really just a matter of taste. I personally prefer it the way it is now. The lack of the protagonist's voice makes me feel more immersed in the game, but at the same time the third person perspective lets me see the shocking visuals in all their gory glory.

PANDAS

Atheists are quite right

the eagle
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

While I agree to some extent it allows for immersion, perhaps in a game with a greater overarching story something like that could be achieved. However, we're supposed to be drawn into Isaac's struggle, his emotional connection with his ex-girlfriend or what-not, and it's literally impossible. There is no call and response. There's an invisible response, which prompts the next line from whatever NPC is currently interacting with Isaac, but I felt no urgency or betrayal at any point in the game because I was playing as a void. It allowed me to experience the blood and the shocks very well, in greater detail, but it left other parts of the game - namely the story and emotionality - bankrupt. The story would have worked so much better had Isaac actual lines of dialogue in the game.

The story for Uncharted isn't very good. It boils down to, reclaim artifact before it can be sold as weapon - but Nathan Drake is incredibly likable, which makes the story more entertaining, even though it is relatively vapid.