Thread: Gruden fired. Assistant named head coach? What?

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Gruden fired. Assistant named head coach? What?

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have fired coach Jon Gruden and Bucs sources told FOXSports.com that defensive coordinator Raheem Morris has been tapped to be the team's new coach.

Morris, 32, was only recently promoted from defensive backs coach to defensive coordinator.

General manager Bruce Allen was also fired after the team collapsed following a 9-3 start and failed to make the playoffs.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9...replace-Gruden

What the ruddy hell are they thinking?

Hey! Let's fire a Super Bowl winning coach and make our secondary coach the head coach! Yeah!

Now, this assistant is 32...and Josh McDaniels is only 32...but McDaniels was at least an offensive coordinator!

This guy was the D-coordinator for an hour before another promotion.

Let's watch the Bucs go 6-10 now..
    I hear the voices inside my head. They counsel me. They understand. They talk to me.

Quote Originally Posted by djwolford View Post
    You know, when Tidus points out that you have failed at internetting, it's probably time to go ahead and off yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by gwahir View Post
    pepsi reserves the right to tell cryptic to get out at any time

it's in the CD charter

Credits
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Defensive Coordinaters can make good head coaches too.

But that is pretty fucking stupid. Gruden did wonder with that team. If they had only lost Gruden I would think they could be ok next year, but the combination of losing Gruden and Monty Kiffin is pretty much a death sentence.

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

D-Coords can make good head coaches...but not when that D-Coord was promoted for secondary coach in the same off-season.
    I hear the voices inside my head. They counsel me. They understand. They talk to me.

Quote Originally Posted by djwolford View Post
    You know, when Tidus points out that you have failed at internetting, it's probably time to go ahead and off yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by gwahir View Post
    pepsi reserves the right to tell cryptic to get out at any time

it's in the CD charter

Merry fucking Christmas Atmosfear's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Gruden didn't do shit with the Buccs. Tony Dungy built the team and the defensive scheme that Tampa still uses and drafts for. Jon Gruden fucking waltzed in. The only impressive thing Gruden has ever done was losing the Tuck Rule Game.

It's not a bad hire for the Buccs because their defense is built around their defensive backs. The best coaches are always defensive coaches because defense wins championships.

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Atmosfear View Post
    Gruden didn't do shit with the Buccs. Tony Dungy built the team and the defensive scheme that Tampa still uses and drafts for. Jon Gruden fucking waltzed in.
    This.

I was shocked at first, but really he had it coming. Gruden just took a superbowl winning team and turned them into mush.

Its the time for change!!!!

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The bucs wouldn't have beaten Gannon's raiders in the superbowl if not for Gruden knowing how to exploit/expose every single weakness of his.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Gruden won the Superbowl with Dungy's players and Kiffins defense. The guy was far too much hard work to with according to most players/coaches who worked with him, with Warren Sapp saying he is still awaiting the call that Gruden promised him regarding renewing his contract in 2003. I have heard and read countless stories and anecdotes from former players about how Gruden got on the wrong side of people far too quickly, and more often than not, disrespecting veterans. Some people say you need to have this kind of streak in you to be a succesful coach in the NFL, but rarely do people with his level of disrespect last long. Take a note from Mr Parcells, being mean is optional, being respected is a nessecity. Tom Coughlin changed his ways with his players, and that same year he was lifting the Lombardi Trophy.

This is a man who goes through QB's quicker than I go through underwear, and his clutch decisions leave somewhat to be desired. And anyone who thinks that Tampa has been succesful since the Superbowl should be commited. They either have terrible seasons, or in the 2 occasions they made the playoffs, they have had Wild Card losses.

The Bucs need to be blown up on defense. Completely. Yes, 2002 will go down as one of the best defenses ever, but these aging players without Kiffin is a daunting thought for all those in Bucs Country. And yes, the issues of the past few years does lay some blame on the front office, but ultimately, the Axe fell on both Gruden and the GM. Although the replacement has some questions attatched to him, the decision to clean house was a good one.