Thread: Affliction Day of Reckoning

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Affliction Day of Reckoning

Affliction may be too dumb to advertise it, but they sure as hell know how to make a hype video.
    Predictions? Try and explain why and how you think someone will lose instead of just saying it(cough cough dj).

Fedor v. Arlovski
    Fedor by ground and pound or submission. Arlovski has been focusing hard on his boxing but Fedor's main strength has always been his ground game. Unless Arlovski can get a quick knockout I see this ending up like most Fedor fights do. They'll exchange for a little bit, Fedor will clinch, throw him to the ground and end the fight.

Barnett v. Yvel
    Barnett by destruction. This fight doesn't make sense to me, Yvel has NO ground game and is going up against an accomplished grappler thats twice his size. Chances are Josh is going to stand with Yvel, and I'm gonna say KO him pretty quickly. Barnett's stand up aint no joke, and if he can't KO him he can always take him down and get a GNP stoppage.

Belfort v. Lindland
    I hope Belfort manages to keep this standing and knocks Lindland the fuck out, otherwise we'll see Lindland lay and pray his way to a decision.

Babalu v. Sokoudjou
    Soko got lucky with some high profile wins early in his career, but after that he's been exposed to have terrible cardio and a subpar ground game. Just cause Babalu got kicked out of the UFC doesn't mean he's still not one of the best 205ers in the world. Soko's only chance is a quick KO, but I'm going to go with Babalu via submission.
    Last edited by raghead; 01-18-2009 at 07:14 PM.

I loves sausage festival! djwolford's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

AA will win because Fedor has become friends with him.

Really AA will win via ko if the fight stays standing, I'm hoping that he's been working on takedown defense. If it hits the ground it's over for him.

Barnett/Yvel, I'd have Barnett winning by KO, but I think I read that Yvel hasn't been cleared to fight yet, so it may not even happen.

Belfort/Lindland I've also got going to Belfort via KO.

Babalu should win via decision or submission in the later rounds. I can easily see Soko gassing by the end of the 2nd, after that it'll be all over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toki
    Oh, gives to me opposites werewolves that turns to humans whens the moons comes outs!
    We's not goes downs that dusty roads again!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickles
    Toki is that straight vadka? It's not even noon...

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

That flaming gloves thing in that video is pretty awesome btw.
    Oh, gives to me opposites werewolves that turns to humans whens the moons comes outs!

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yvel is cleared. Also man, AA is a lot bigger than I thought he was.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yeah, and Fedor looks like he's lost a bit of weight. I'm telling you man, AA is taking this one via ko.

Also I didn't know that Yvel got cleared, good game. I knew that he was having a problem with the CSAC, as people sometimes do.

(Also I'm pulling for AA even harder now because that is a very manly beard.)

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yvel had trouble getting a license because of his behavior in the past(knocking out a referee, etc). I thought it was pretty cool though that Barnett showed up at his hearing to get him cleared.
    Anyway, for 'medical reasons' Horedecki was not cleared to fight. I was really looking forward to that one, I hope they manage to find Dan a good replacement.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yeah I didn't think that they ever cleared him because of the whole ref thing. Apparently that's not a good move if you want to fight and stuff. I'm glad though because that should be a good fight.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Also, I just read this and thought it to be of interest-

-DREAM Middleweight Champion Gegard Mousasi considers the move to light heavyweight in anticipation of possibly facing the winner of Renato Sobral vs. Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou, which takes place January 24 at Affliction ?Day of Reckoning?. The ?Young Vagabond? is an extremely talented fighter and in addition to riding an eleven-fight win streak, is also a former amateur boxing champion and has served as a striking coach for current WAMMA Heavyweight Champion Fedor Emelianenko.

'To me the next challenge is to move up a division. It?s not because I don?t see middleweight as a challenge but because my body?s getting bigger. I always came down, came down and because of my age my body?s getting bigger and bigger. It?s something that I needed to do. I think the timing is good to go up. I may fight the winner of Babalu vs. Sokoudjou but I don?t know for sure. It?s eventually up to Affliction and M-1 who they want me to fight. It?s a tough division because every guy is explosive, every guy is fast and has good strength. It?s a tough division and there?s a lot of good names. It?s not my goal to be the best light heavyweight in the world, something I?ve always wanted is to be a heavyweight. I plan, over one year maybe two years, to build to heavyweight.'
    Babalu/Mousasi would be a pretty fun matchup.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That would be awesome. I think Mousasi is pretty overrated though, everyones talking like he's going to come and dominate Anderson Silva. Babalu, that would be an interesting fight though.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I honestly don't think that he would beat Babalu, but I think that it would be an amazing fight either way. I could envision it going to decision at least.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

also lol did you see the Fedor documentary thing where the interview asked him about tim sylvia and he started laughing?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by raghead View Post
    Haha I laughed pretty hard at that. No, I haven't seen that interview. I'm going to make an effort to find it now though.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Youtube: Fedor Baddest Man On The Planet
    30 minute long documentary, its mad good. Fucking loads so slowly on youtube though.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well I'll give Arlovski credit, he was winning the first 2 minutes with his boxing. Fedor looked almost confused, didn't see any openings and was leaving himself open for an uppercut with really wide slips. All he needed was an opening though, and Arlovski gave it to him.
    edit: also HOLY SHIT. Belfort really knocked Lindland THE FUCk out. that was definitely the most brutal knock out i've ever seen

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

djwolford does that link I gave you work for you? I doesn't really work for me anymore...
    I am a Fedor nuthugger but I must say that AA looked like he was on his way to winning the fight if that 2 minutes (pre-KO) was just looped over and over. Fedor looked pretty sluggish and confused for some odd reason. Glad AA has a glass jaw and he's a moron who just loves jumping around.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Well he had the opportunity to stay calm and get a solid win over Fedor, because he was winning the match. For some reason he decided to go with the flashy ko attempt and that just isn't something you want to do against Fedor.

At least we'll get a good rematch out of it(I hope).

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lets not get carried away lol. Yeah he was doing good, but chances are he would not have won the fight. Fedor was just waiting for an opening, it was a matter of time before Arlovski made a mistake. Look at the two interviews, Arlovski said he thought he was doing damage and he was hitting him hard and Fedor said he thought they were glancing shots cause they barely did any damage. Arlovski wasn't about to knock him out.
    In other news I'd like to see Arlovski v. Sylvia IV, and eventually see Arlovski v. Fedor II. Let's see if Barnett slips Fedor again, hopefully not because that would be a great fight.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I think Fedor's full of feces this time around. Those glancing shots had him nice and rocked a couple of times. I think it was more like Fedor was getting beat, then landed a good shot on a guy that tried to get way too flashy.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nah Fedor would have said he felt Arlovski had him in trouble if he actually did. It doesn't make a difference to him, either way he won via round 1 knock out. In fact it would probably make him look better if he was getting hurt and then pulled out that knock out.
    Anyway, I hope Barnett mans up and takes the fight against Fedor, although he's going to have to look a lot better than he did in the Yvel fight to win. The gameplan he utilized against Yvel would probably work well for Fedor though. Instantly go for the takedown and try to improve position, don't go for submissions that could end up losing an advantageous position and GNP/LNP his way to a win. Avoid standing with him and sitting in his guard at all costs and I think Barnett could take it.
    Most likely would end up with Fedor sprawl and brawling his way to a KO or pulling out a submission from the bottom, but Barnett has a decent chance.
    edit: also:
    Last edited by raghead; 01-26-2009 at 05:08 PM.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by raghead View Post
    Nah Fedor would have said he felt Arlovski had him in trouble if he actually did. It doesn't make a difference to him, either way he won via round 1 knock out. In fact it would probably make him look better if he was getting hurt and then pulled out that knock out.
    Anyway, I hope Barnett mans up and takes the fight against Fedor, although he's going to have to look a lot better than he did in the Yvel fight to win. The gameplan he utilized against Yvel would probably work well for Fedor though. Instantly go for the takedown and try to improve position, don't go for submissions that could end up losing an advantageous position and GNP/LNP his way to a win. Avoid standing with him and sitting in his guard at all costs and I think Barnett could take it.
    Most likely would end up with Fedor sprawl and brawling his way to a KO or pulling out a submission from the bottom, but Barnett has a decent chance.
    edit: also:
    Silly Arlovski you won't find Fedor there.

Also upon rewatching the fight and seeing various pics and gifs it looks as if AA punches weren't as hard as I previously thought.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

One connected flush, the rest were just glancing shots. They looked hard because the way Fedor moves it looks like they connect, but after watching again you realize he was moving out of the way and it barely touched him.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Fair enough. I'm over the upset feeling that AA lost now anyway.