Thread: Shotguns

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Shotguns

If you were buying a shotgun for home defense/deer/turkey/dove which one would you consider?

I'm sure for turkey I'd need a barrel that can be choked. For the rest I doubt it matters.

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU Anonymous D's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

As far as home defense, Id go Saiga 12 ga with a 20 round drum,and an 18 in barrel.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, you could get a combo from either Remington or Mossberg. The Mossberg 500 combo has an 18" home defense barrel and a 28" (IIRC) barrel for hunting. Remington should have something similar in the 870 series.

I have a 590 that is decked out for a pump shotgun. That said, I keep a plane Jane Winchester 1200 for home defense. If four rounds of double-ought can't handle a problem, I doubt eight rounds would do much better. Besides, spare shells are always on hand whether I have four rounds in the magazine or eight.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would get an older Remington 870 Wingmaster. The quality of the older Wingmasters is far above that on the new Express guns. Trigger groups are metal rather than plastic, fit and finish are top notch and the wood is prettier.
    Green is the new Red.

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU Anonymous D's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

870s are what I would get if I were looking for a good pump at a good price. And for home defense on that, Id go with a 20 in barrel and a 7 shot tube with a pistol grip stock and a foregrip with a flashlight built in.