Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone NOT find nerdiness endearing?

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Does anyone NOT find nerdiness endearing?

I mean, obviously in here we all do. But out there, do you know anyone who actually would think less of you for liking nerdy things?

I find that, where I come from, at least, "nerdy" has just lost all meaning. It's cute (if anything) to like Star Wars, and if you say you read comics, people either say "Oh cool; which ones?" or "I've never really been able to get into it, myself". I mean, not everyone I know likes nerdy things, but nobody I know looks down on me for liking them.

I do get made fun of for liking Buffy and other such shows because that goes beyond nerdy into girly, which some people feel compelled to make fun of, but that's separate.

Does anyone really not find nerdiness endearing?

Merry fucking Christmas Atmosfear's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I do not

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would say that it is endearing to a certain extent. There is such a thing as too much though.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nerdiness is not an endearing trait for fat or ugly people.

I loves sausage festival! djwolford's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KT. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Toki
    Oh, gives to me opposites werewolves that turns to humans whens the moons comes outs!
    We's not goes downs that dusty roads again!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickles
    Toki is that straight vadka? It's not even noon...

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Atmosfear View Post
    I do not
    Yes, but you're a southerner.

And obviously there can be too much. You can have too much of anything. That's what too much is: that quantity which is excessive.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nerdiness has become mainstream in recent years so in a way being geeky is not that geeky anymore.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

after high school no one really cares anymore

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

except if you like anime

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think it really depends on whether or not said person can back up his nerdy desires in a logical and understandable fashion when called out on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by <JANE> View Post
    This post was quite an effort to make, I hope it wont get lost.

Credits
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

This is true, however it does make fat and/or ugly people easier to be around

Take orally. no_brains_no_worries's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I dunno. I think we need to put another negative spin on nerdiness because some geeks/nerds are getting uppity. I actually sat behind two guys in the movie theatre who were arguing whether or not superman could turn back time by reversing the earth's gravitational spin.

That should be punishable by wedgies.
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzy View Post
    He came to the states for his birthday and now he's going home in a body bag. That's what you get for sending your child to Utah.
    Quote Originally Posted by raghead View Post
    i would have whipped out my dick in that situation
    News flash, guys can't get pregnant from vaginal sex either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Atmoscheer View Post
    But what is their policy on winning the hearts and minds through forcible vaginal entry?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by no_brains_no_worries View Post
    I dunno. I think we need to put another negative spin on nerdiness because some geeks/nerds are getting uppity. I actually sat behind two guys in the movie theatre who were arguing whether or not superman could turn back time by reversing the earth's gravitational spin.

That should be punishable by wedgies.
    Superman is a horrible movie, but that is a perfectly alright topic of conversation. I get in arguments about shit like that when I'm high all the time.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I actually sat behind two guys in the movie theatre who were arguing whether or not superman could turn back time by reversing the earth's gravitational spin.
    How the fuck do people argue that Superman could turn back time by reversing the earth's gravitational spin? That just doesn't make any logical sense. Good god.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

He doesn't reverse the Earth's spin. He spins around the Earth so fast that he turns back time.

Take orally. no_brains_no_worries's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gwahir View Post
    He doesn't reverse the Earth's spin. He spins around the Earth so fast that he turns back time.
    Still that doesn't make sense! I know the irony considering the star is a man from the planet Krypton but still! One of the guys actually began to quote the theory of relativity!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzy View Post
    He came to the states for his birthday and now he's going home in a body bag. That's what you get for sending your child to Utah.
    Quote Originally Posted by raghead View Post
    i would have whipped out my dick in that situation
    News flash, guys can't get pregnant from vaginal sex either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Atmoscheer View Post
    But what is their policy on winning the hearts and minds through forcible vaginal entry?

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Still that doesn't make sense! I know the irony considering the star is a man from the planet Krypton but still! One of the guys actually began to quote the theory of relativity!
    Well it's one of those bits of popularly known science that if you exceed the speed of light you can move backwards in time.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

but exceeding the speed of light is impossible.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Infernus View Post
    except if you like anime
    this

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well it's one of those bits of popularly known science that if you exceed the speed of light you can move backwards in time.
    lol

I really hope you are joking.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Killuminati View Post
    I think that myth got busted about 7 or 8 years ago with some kind of fancy laser.
    Oh, gives to me opposites werewolves that turns to humans whens the moons comes outs!

Merry fucking Christmas Atmosfear's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is there any logic to this statement? No.

And while we haven't yet sped up the speed of light, have been able to slow it down significantly. It stands to reason if it's possible to slow it down, it would also be possible to speed it up.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by djwolford View Post
    I think that myth got busted about 7 or 8 years ago with some kind of fancy laser.
    First of all this isn't a "myth". We can't accelerate any particle to a velocity faster than that of the speed of light(299,792 km/s).

Quote Originally Posted by Atmosfear View Post
    Is there any logic to this statement? No.

And while we haven't yet sped up the speed of light, have been able to slow it down significantly. It stands to reason if it's possible to slow it down, it would also be possible to speed it up.
    "It is generally considered that it is impossible for any information or matter to travel faster than c, because it would travel backwards in time relative to some observers.[25] However, there are many physical situations in which speeds greater than c are encountered.

Some of these situations involve entities that actually travel faster than c in a particular reference frame but none involves either matter, energy, or information traveling faster than light"

We will never make matter travel faster than the speed of light. The reason for this is because E=mc^2. If you look at this
    imagine if v=c. That would mean that the velocity was at the speed of light. When you do that the amount of energy required to reach that velocity is infinite.
    Last edited by Killuminati; 01-21-2009 at 02:39 PM.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

First of all this isn't a "myth". We can't accelerate any particle to a velocity faster than that of the speed of light(299,792 km/s).
    Laser smashes light-speed record

One of the most sacred laws of physics is that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light in vacuum. But this speed limit has been smashed in a recent experiment in which a laser pulse travels at more than 300 times the speed of light (L J Wang et al. 2000 Nature 406 277). However, the laws of physics remain intact because Lijun Wang and colleagues at the NEC Research Institute in Princeton in the US are able to explain the results of their experiment in terms of the classical theory of wave propagation.

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/2810

Electrical pulses break light speed record

Pulses that travel faster than light have been sent over a significant distance for the first time. Alain Haché and Louis Poirier of the University of Moncton in Canada transmitted the pulses through a 120-metre cable made from a coaxial 'photonic crystal'. The achievement raises hopes that data could travel through electronic communications systems at almost the speed of light (A Haché and L Poirier 2002 Appl. Phys. Lett. 80 518).

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/3630

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Laser smashes light-speed record

One of the most sacred laws of physics is that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light in vacuum. But this speed limit has been smashed in a recent experiment in which a laser pulse travels at more than 300 times the speed of light (L J Wang et al. 2000 Nature 406 277). However, the laws of physics remain intact because Lijun Wang and colleagues at the NEC Research Institute in Princeton in the US are able to explain the results of their experiment in terms of the classical theory of wave propagation.

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/2810

Electrical pulses break light speed record

Pulses that travel faster than light have been sent over a significant distance for the first time. Alain Haché and Louis Poirier of the University of Moncton in Canada transmitted the pulses through a 120-metre cable made from a coaxial 'photonic crystal'. The achievement raises hopes that data could travel through electronic communications systems at almost the speed of light (A Haché and L Poirier 2002 Appl. Phys. Lett. 80 518).

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/3630
    You sir, just won my heart and my britches.

(no homo)
    I hear the voices inside my head. They counsel me. They understand. They talk to me.

You know, when Tidus points out that you have failed at internetting, it's probably time to go ahead and off yourself.
    pepsi reserves the right to tell cryptic to get out at any time

it's in the CD charter

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Maybe you should read your articles before posting them.

Quote Originally Posted by second article
    "Haché and Poirier emphasize that their experiment does not break any laws of physics. Although the group velocity exceeds the speed of light - an effect permitted by relativity - each component of the pulse travels slower than light. It would be impossible to transmit information faster than light because it would be encoded onto a single frequency component. "
    Quote Originally Posted by first article
    "Special relativity prevents any object with mass travelling at the speed of light, and the principle of causality - the notion that the cause comes before the effect - is used to rule out the possibility of superluminal (faster-than-light) travel by light itself. However, a pulse of light can have more than one speed because it is made up of light of different wavelengths. "

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU Anonymous D's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Ive heard the "if you can travel faster then light you can see into the past" thing.

Think about it this way. Lets say you can teleport 100 million lightyears away from Earth, and have a telescope that can see Earth from there. You would see Earth as it was 100 million years ago because at teh speed light travels, the light from Earth is just reaching you 100 million lightyears away.

I think the light and time travel thing only works so you can see the past though. I dont think they will ever be able to travel to the future.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Maybe you should read your articles before posting them.
    Keep reading...
    Quote Originally Posted by first article
    However, a pulse of light can have more than one speed because it is made up of light of different wavelengths. The individual waves travel at their own phase velocity, while the pulse itself travels with the group velocity. In a vacuum all the phase velocities and the group velocity are the same. In a dispersive medium, however, they are different because the refractive index is a function of wavelength, which means that the different wavelengths travel at different speeds. Wang and colleagues report evidence for a negative group velocity of -310c, where c (=300 million metres per second) is the speed of light in vacuum.

Their experimental set-up is remarkably similar to that used to slow light to a speed of just 17 metres per second last year. It relies on using two lasers and a magnetic field to prepare a gas of caesium atoms in an excited state. This state exhibits strong amplification or gain at two wavelengths, and highly anomalous dispersion - that is, the refractive index changes rapidly with wavelength - in the region between these two peaks.

Wang and colleagues begin by using a third continuous-wave laser to confirm that there are two peaks in the gain spectrum and that the refractive index does indeed change rapidly with wavelength in between. Next they send a 3.7-microsecond long laser pulse into the caesium cell, which is 6 centimetres long, and show that, at the correct wavelength, it emerges from the cell 62 nanoseconds sooner than would be expected if it had travelled at the speed of light. 62 nanoseconds might not sound like much, but since it should only take 0.2 nanoseconds for the pulse to pass through the cell, this means that the pulse has been travelling at 310 times the speed of light. Moreover, unlike previous superluminal experiments, the input and output pulse shapes are essentially the same.
    ...and although they say they can't transmit information faster than the speed of light...
    Quote Originally Posted by second article
    Although the group velocity exceeds the speed of light - an effect permitted by relativity - each component of the pulse travels slower than light. It would be impossible to transmit information faster than light because it would be encoded onto a single frequency component.

But as Haché explains, many existing information systems are based on coaxial cables, and the current top speed for data is just two-thirds the speed of light. If the impedance of such cables were adapted, pulses sent at frequencies close to the absorption band could transmit information at speeds approaching that of light.
    I guess it's a technicality that can be argued from either side.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sick burns itt.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I have a feeling that this is about to turn into an episode of Bill Nye the Science Guy or something. I love science but physics isn't strong point.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

fapfapfap

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous D View Post
    Ive heard the "if you can travel faster then light you can see into the past" thing.

Think about it this way. Lets say you can teleport 100 million lightyears away from Earth, and have a telescope that can see Earth from there. You would see Earth as it was 100 million years ago because at teh speed light travels, the light from Earth is just reaching you 100 million lightyears away.

I think the light and time travel thing only works so you can see the past though. I dont think they will ever be able to travel to the future.
    Well according to Einstein, by traveling at the speed of light one would age slower than a person not traveling at the speed of light. You could interpret this as traveling into the future.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well according to Einstein, by traveling at the speed of light one would age slower than a person not traveling at the speed of light. You could interpret this as traveling into the future.
    According to Raffi, the wheels on the bus go round and round. You could interpret this as traveling on a bus.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shinysides View Post
    According to Raffi, the wheels on the bus go round and round. You could interpret this as traveling on a bus.
    Woah buddy nerdcore isn't the place for that intellectual speak

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Djwolford I mean no disrespect to you but you don't know what you are talking about. Read up more on special relativity and think about it again.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Fair enough. Like I said, physics isn't my strong point. I just argue for the fun of it 99% of the time.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hooray for arguing for fun!

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

travelling into the future is a possibility with our current knowledge of the universe (we just don't have the technology to make the vehicle that would travel that fast and for that long)

but yes, exceeding the speed of light would mean that, according to observers travelling slower than you, you are going backwards in time. we know this because of einstein's finding that there is no such thing as absolute time, rather time is unique to observers depending on where they are stationed, the gravity affecting them and the speed at which they are travelling.

this has been a vaguely true mainstay of science fiction for a long, long time

basically: you know nothing

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

travelling into the future is a possibility with our current knowledge of the universe (we just don't have the technology to make the vehicle that would travel that fast and for that long)

but yes, exceeding the speed of light would mean that, according to observers travelling slower than you, you are going backwards in time. we know this because of einstein's finding that there is no such thing as absolute time, rather time is unique to observers depending on where they are stationed, the gravity affecting them and the speed at which they are travelling.

this has been a vaguely true mainstay of science fiction for a long, long time

basically: you know nothing
    I'm not saying it's impossible to move back in time but I am right about what I said. To the observer on earth, the one traveling at or faster than light speed would be moving at a slower rate, not moving back in time.

This is called time dilation.
    Last edited by KT.; 01-22-2009 at 01:36 AM. Reason: corrected a typo, thank you gwahir.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

To the observer on earth, the one traveling at or faster than light speed would moving at a slower rate, not moving back in time.
    How does this make any sense? (Answer: it doesn't.)