Thread: Whitehouse.gov vs. Assault Weapons

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU Anonymous D's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Whitehouse.gov vs. Assault Weapons

It's official

http://www.whitehouse.gov/agenda/urban_policy/

Address Gun Violence in Cities: Obama and Biden would repeal the Tiahrt Amendment, which restricts the ability of local law enforcement to access important gun trace information, and give police officers across the nation the tools they need to solve gun crimes and fight the illegal arms trade. Obama and Biden also favor commonsense measures that respect the Second Amendment rights of gun owners, while keeping guns away from children and from criminals. They support closing the gun show loophole and making guns in this country childproof. They also support making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent.

Not that this is big news for anyone who likes guns.

Fuck, looks like my tax return will end up going towards another AR or an AK.

I loves sausage festival! djwolford's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

That's shit. The ban won't be permanent though imo, any law that can be made can be unmade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toki
    Oh, gives to me opposites werewolves that turns to humans whens the moons comes outs!
    We's not goes downs that dusty roads again!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickles
    Toki is that straight vadka? It's not even noon...

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by djwolford View Post
    That's shit. The ban won't be permanent though imo, any law that can be made can be unmade.
    Except Roe v. Wade

I hear the voices inside my head. They counsel me. They understand. They talk to me.

Quote Originally Posted by djwolford View Post
    You know, when Tidus points out that you have failed at internetting, it's probably time to go ahead and off yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by gwahir View Post
    pepsi reserves the right to tell cryptic to get out at any time

it's in the CD charter

I loves sausage festival! djwolford's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pepsi View Post
    Except Roe v. Wade

I have to admit that I laughed pretty hard at that.
    Oh, gives to me opposites werewolves that turns to humans whens the moons comes outs!
    We's not goes downs that dusty roads again!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickles
    Toki is that straight vadka? It's not even noon...

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, it was the AWB that ended up costing the Democrats some valuable votes in the Nineties. History will repeat itself, though in today's society commonsense American citizens are few and far between. Guns are evil in many people's minds, though it is their own children that are committing the crimes.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous D View Post
    Fuck, looks like my tax return will end up going towards another AR or an AK.
    EBRs have been in high demand since the election, prices have already increased by 20-30%. Go for the Beretta P90, since it will most likely be banned by name the investment should bring a hefty return.
    Green is the new Red.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I always laugh in disgust when I hear about how people want to close the "gun show loophole".
    Every time you buy a gun from a dealer, a background check is mandated by federal law. There's no gun show exception; a gun show isn't a place where, for x days/hours, every gun law is ignored or unenforced.

Take orally. no_brains_no_worries's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You lost me at the Bin Ladin Obama comparison.
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzy View Post
    He came to the states for his birthday and now he's going home in a body bag. That's what you get for sending your child to Utah.
    Quote Originally Posted by raghead View Post
    i would have whipped out my dick in that situation
    Quote Originally Posted by KT. View Post
    News flash, guys can't get pregnant from vaginal sex either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Atmoscheer View Post
    But what is their policy on winning the hearts and minds through forcible vaginal entry?

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by smith357 View Post
    EBRs have been in high demand since the election, prices have already increased by 20-30%. Go for the Beretta P90, since it will most likely be banned by name the investment should bring a hefty return.
    Beretta P90?

And I know about all the supply shortages. Ive been trying to get another upper forever, but noone has them in stock. Alot of places are only increasing their price if their cost goes up, which isnt happening. Alot of people are gouging.

Quote Originally Posted by crunker View Post
    I always laugh in disgust when I hear about how people want to close the "gun show loophole".
    Every time you buy a gun from a dealer, a background check is mandated by federal law. There's no gun show exception; a gun show isn't a place where, for x days/hours, every gun law is ignored or unenforced.
    The gunshow loophole is a myth. All it is is when people sell firearms privately, and legally, and they happen to be at a gun show. You could do the same thing away from a gun show in states where private sales are legal.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Beretta P90?
    Doh!
    I failed to engage my brain, I should have typed FN P90. Shit like this happens when you get old.
    Green is the new Red.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't have high hopes for those folding KelTecs, either. I saw one at a show a couple months ago for $190 and almost picked it up, but I was still hoping to get my hands on a Beretta Cx4 Storm and couldn't afford both.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm not too worried about anything, especially a revival of the AWB. Obama might want this stuff, but Obama doesn't pass laws, Congress does. And the Democratic majority in Congress depends on voters who aren't committed Republicans and are willing to vote for Democrats (and did so these past two cycles), BUT don't like to see gun control legislation from their Democrats and may be willing to vote the other way in reaction to it. This is exactly what happened in 1994 with the AWB, as fm2176 points out. The more left-leaning reps and Senators (from NY, California, Massachusetts, etc.) might not stand to lose many of their constituents to that sort of thing, but the Democrats elected in places like Virginia and Pennsylvania and Tennessee and so forth are closer to the center, and got a lot of votes from gun-owning people in rural or semi-rural areas, and realize quite well that voting for gun control legislation could piss these people off enough to cost them their seats next cycle. And the Democratic party doesn't have a majority if all it's got are reps from liberal districts in NY and California, where voters aren't angered by gun control. To keep their fat majority, they also need those reps from places where people own guns and drive trucks and so on.

I hope that after a year or two, people will realize that their guns are still safe, and all the hoarding and price-gouging and predictions of doom will end. But I wouldn't count on it. For better or for worse, too many gun owners are paranoid about it, and aren't going to be persuaded by the facts above.
    Last edited by Syme; 01-28-2009 at 11:04 PM.

Why so delirious?
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And I know about all the supply shortages. Ive been trying to get another upper forever, but noone has them in stock. Alot of places are only increasing their price if their cost goes up, which isnt happening. Alot of people are gouging.
    Yeah, but there's no reason they shouldn't "gouge" consumers. The ones who do are actually more helpful to consumers than the idiots who don't raise their prices and then run out.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UnreasonablyReasonable View Post
    Yeah, but there's no reason they shouldn't "gouge" consumers. The ones who do are actually more helpful to consumers than the idiots who don't raise their prices and then run out.
    Example

Cheaper than Dirt had Pmags for AR-15s in stock. Before the election they cost $15. They were charging $45 and had the MSRP as $60. That alone is ILLEGAL. The MSRP was still around $15 from the makers of them. They stated that they had NOT gone up on cost.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Syme View Post
    I'm not too worried about anything, especially a revival of the AWB.

One day a scorpion approached a frog along a river bank.
    The scorpion asked, "Froggie, please give me a ride across this wide river."
    The frog responded, "I would be a fool to do that. You will sting and paralyze me."
    Said the scorpion, "Ridiculous! If I stung you then we would both drown."
    Trusting the scorpion's logic the frog agreed and allowed the scorpion onto his back as he swam out into the river.
    In the middle of the river the scorpion stung the frog.
    As the frog convulsed from the scorpion sting and began to slip beneath the waters he looked back at the scorpion and said, "Why? Why?"
    The scorpion answered, "Because I am a scorpion, and it is my nature."

I'm not worried about an AWB since I have little or no interest in that style of firearm, and frankly i am loving the soft vintage market right now. I just don't trust the Democrats learned anything from history.
    Last edited by smith357; 02-01-2009 at 10:15 PM.
    Green is the new Red.

Why so delirious?
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Example

Cheaper than Dirt had Pmags for AR-15s in stock. Before the election they cost $15. They were charging $45 and had the MSRP as $60. That alone is ILLEGAL. The MSRP was still around $15 from the makers of them. They stated that they had NOT gone up on cost.
    Ahh well yeah if the manufacturer had not in fact changed the MSRP, but they made it look like they had, then yeah wtf that's pretty weak.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by smith357 View Post
    One day a scorpion approached a frog along a river bank.
    The scorpion asked, "Froggie, please give me a ride across this wide river."
    The frog responded, "I would be a fool to do that. You will sting and paralyze me."
    Said the scorpion, "Ridiculous! If I stung you then we would both drown."
    Trusting the scorpion's logic the frog agreed and allowed the scorpion onto his back as he swam out into the river.
    In the middle of the river the scorpion stung the frog.
    As the frog convulsed from the scorpion sting and began to slip beneath the waters he looked back at the scorpion and said, "Why? Why?"
    The scorpion answered, "Because I am a scorpion, and it is my nature."

I'm not worried about an AWB since I have little or no interest in that style of firearm, and frankly i am loving the soft vintage market right now. I just don't trust the Democrats learned anything from history.
    Well, I think you can generally trust politicians to act in their self-interest, and that includes avoiding legislation that would alienate a large fraction of the people that they have convinced to vote for them; such a large fraction, in fact, that they would be at very real risk of losing their prized majorities. We can already see that the Democrats have indeed learned from history, because you'll notice that ever since the 1994 AWB episode, the party as a whole has been very quiet about gun control. Certainly the more liberal members (Schumer, Feinstein, et. al.) have never stopped vomiting up their ridiculous showboating nonsense at every opportunity, but the party as a whole seems to have learned that gun control is a losing issue for them and that the majority of Americans simply don't want to hear about it. I have certainly heard more than one prominent Democratic strategist concede that point. That's the political reality of the situation, despite any folksy parables comparing Democrats to irredeemably treacherous scorpions.

Plus, be heartened by this: If, against my predictions, the Democrats are dumb enough to pass significant gun control legislation again, you can shortly look forward to the resumption of Republican rule!

EDIT: Warner, Webb, Reid, Baucus, Conrad, Johnson, Gillibrand, Tester, Begich, and Nelson are all solidly pro-gun Democratic Senators. You may recall Webb in particular as the guy who got in trouble for trying to bring a concealed handgun into the Capitol. All are from areas where gun ownership is popular and where, while the people aren't necessarily too conservative to elect a Democrat if he seems like a decent sort, a Democrat who supported a major gun-control bill would definitely have trouble getting re-elected. There is a corresponding large block of congressmen in the same boat. They know it, and their party leadership knows it (in the case of Reid, they ARE party leadership). The last thing they're going to do is hand the Republicans a big pile of ammunition to use against them the next they're up for reelection.
    Last edited by Syme; 02-02-2009 at 12:33 AM.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

speaking of hording, I went to buy some reloading supplies yesterday and they only had 1 pound of my powder and 2 (200) packages of primers and the shelves were almost bare.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It appears that gun control is still in their (liberals) nature.
    http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=6960824&page=1
    Green is the new Red.