Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Dark Knight got snubbed for Best Picture

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The Dark Knight got snubbed for Best Picture

I do not doubt that there are people who will say some stupid shit in this thread about fanboys and about slumdog millionaires but let's face it. The Reader was awful. Milk was sub-par.

The Wrestler was also snubbed. I generally agree with the Academy Awards nominations over the years (except for shit like Crash and Titanic). I didn't see Frost/Nixon, and Slumdog Millionaire should be up there, while Benjamin Button is borderline. Most of the Oscar bait movies this year were disappointing, the Reader being a clear example.

And yet the Dark Knight was fantastic. Great performances, great plot, great everything. You don't have to like Batman to enjoy the movie. It didn't make you feel bored and mediocre when you walked out of the theater like a couple of the nominated movies did. I mean really.

I loves sausage festival! djwolford's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jack burden View Post
    It didn't make you feel bored and mediocre when you walked out of the theater like a couple of the nominated movies did. I mean really.
    I beg to differ.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toki
    Oh, gives to me opposites werewolves that turns to humans whens the moons comes outs!
    We's not goes downs that dusty roads again!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickles
    Toki is that straight vadka? It's not even noon...

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I thought The Dark Knight was completely ruined by the assload of people who told me how amazing a film it was before it was even fucking finished.

When I finally I felt two things. Firstly, I felt empty inside and completely unfulfilled after spending like 2 and a half hours of my life staring at a screen. Secondly, I felt sorry for all the twats who'd now have to go back on their word and pretend they weren't jerking off at the thought of awarding Heath Ledger's cold dead corpse a tiny golden statue for being good at a job he's paid millions of dollars to do.

Still, most movies this year sucked pretty hard. Just give 'Best Picture' to Meet The Spartans and then outlaw the Oscars forever.
    Last edited by simonj; 01-22-2009 at 04:22 PM.

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

What knocks down The Dark Knight is the fact that it's an action movie. For the most part your Best Picture nods will go to dramas or epics...and The Dark Knight is neither.

I agree though. The Dark Knight was done so superbly that it should have been a shoe-in.
    I hear the voices inside my head. They counsel me. They understand. They talk to me.

Quote Originally Posted by djwolford View Post
    You know, when Tidus points out that you have failed at internetting, it's probably time to go ahead and off yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by gwahir View Post
    pepsi reserves the right to tell cryptic to get out at any time

it's in the CD charter

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I beg to differ.
    When I say mediocre, I mean completely unmoved and drab.

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by simonj View Post
    I thought The Dark Knight was completely ruined by the assload of people who told me how amazing a film it was before it was even fucking finished.

When I finally I felt two things. Firstly, I felt empty inside and completely unfulfilled after spending like 2 and a half hours of my life staring at a screen. Secondly, I felt sorry for all the twats who'd now have to go back on their word and pretend they weren't jerking off at the thought of awarding Heath Ledger's cold dead corpse a tiny golden statue for being good at a job he's paid millions of dollars to do.

Still, most movies this year sucked pretty hard. Just give 'Best Picture' to Meet The Spartans and then outlaw the Oscars forever.
    I disagree. There was a number of decent movies. I'm too lazy to list them right now, but there was a decent few.
    I hear the voices inside my head. They counsel me. They understand. They talk to me.

You know, when Tidus points out that you have failed at internetting, it's probably time to go ahead and off yourself.

it's in the CD charter

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pepsi View Post
    I disagree. There was a number of decent movies. I'm too lazy to list them right now, but there was a decent few.
    I'm sure there were, I still think we should give it to Meet The Spartans to reflect how retarded movie audiences and movie makers are.

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by simonj View Post
    I'm sure there were, I still think we should give it to Meet The Spartans to reflect how retarded movie audiences and movie makers are.
    What the hell are you rambling about? That's the dumbest idea I've heard. EVER.

it's in the CD charter

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

When I say mediocre, I mean completely unmoved and drab.
    I can't say that it was a complete failure of a film, but it was good at best. There were several times during the movie that I felt bored and wondered what all the fuss was about, and sever times during the movie that I was really in to it. I don't see it as being Best Picture material though. Ledger's performance was good, but then I've seen him do much better(Brokeback Mountain(no homo)). Aside from that I wasn't impressed with the acting much either, I personally thought that Bale was a terrible Batman, and Aaron Eckhard provided the second closest thing to a respectable acting job in the film.

To me it was just another typical big budget action film, only this time someone died irl at the right time to get it tons of publicity, and half of the world became fanboys.
    Oh, gives to me opposites werewolves that turns to humans whens the moons comes outs!

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I can't say that it was a complete failure of a film, but it was good at best. There were several times during the movie that I felt bored and wondered what all the fuss was about, and sever times during the movie that I was really in to it. I don't see it as being Best Picture material though. Ledger's performance was good, but then I've seen him do much better(Brokeback Mountain(no homo)). Aside from that I wasn't impressed with the acting much either, I personally thought that Bale was a terrible Batman, and Aaron Eckhard provided the second closest thing to a respectable acting job in the film.

To me it was just another typical big budget action film, only this time someone died irl at the right time to get it tons of publicity, and half of the world became fanboys.
    I thought Gary Oldman did a really good job, but I like Oldman to begin with. Eckhart was great, and I thought Bale was a really good Batman.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Looking back on it, Oldman did a fine job as well. Bale was just terrible imo though.

My vote for Best Picture goes to either Iron Man or The Wrestler btw.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was about to say that the Dark Knight, while a pretty darn good movie, doesn't really deserve "Best Picture".

But then I realised that I can't think of anything else that was better (although admittedly I didn't see *that* many movies last year).

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MrShrike View Post
    I was about to say that the Dark Knight, while a pretty darn good movie, doesn't really deserve "Best Picture".

But then I realised that I can't think of anything else that was better (although admittedly I didn't see *that* many movies last year).
    I'm not saying it should win, I'm saying it should be considered, at least among the top five of 2008.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

It's certainly top 5 material. Although given the movies that were released last year that's not a huge accomplishment.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here's a shocking revelation: the Oscars are rigged.

The entertainment industry is so fucked up.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

It's certainly top 5 material. Although given the movies that were released last year that's not a huge accomplishment.
    People say this

literally

every

year.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

the movie industry is dying! hurray! no, seriously. TV is where it's at.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

People say this

literally

every

year.
    Yeah. People are always saying how TV sucks right now, but I don't remember there being better shows on tv. There will always be crap but theres still a lot of smart, funny television.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was dissapointed not to see it nominated. 8 nominations is still good but I was hoping to see it get a best picture nod and maybe a nod for best director. I haven't seen many movies this year, so I cannot complain too much, but sometimes you feel that the academy can be snooty to certain genres. Action movies aren't always known for their pure awesomeness and are usually meant for adrenaline rushes.

Dark Knight was different in my opinion. It broke the mould for the superhero/action genre, the very fact it has an oscar buzz is credit to just how good a movie it was. And let us not forget, it still got 8 nominations.

I am annoyed at the tendancy for the academy to go for drama's. By all accounts Slumdog Millionaire is a superb film but the rest of the movies I have seen very mixed reviews. There were some mixed reviews of the Dark Knight but they were largely positive, it is in the top 10 on IMDB, Empire had a top 100 movies list, it was in the top 20 if I remember right, it is either the 2nd or 3rd highest grossing film of all time, whilst this isn't really a measure of quality, I mention it to highlight the point that this movie generated alot of buzz and for that I'd have liked to seen it get nominated.

That isn't to say the academy didn't just disregard it because it was a Batman movie, but sometimes you wonder. I wonder what a superhero would need to do to win a best picture Oscar. With the fantasy genre, it took the LOTR, which in my opinion was one of the best movie trilogies ever made. The fantasy genre does have alot of crap movies, and it took something LOTR special to get a move from that genre noticed. It was benchmark epic. Even then the first 2 movies lost out on best picture which annoyed me. Whilst ROTK was awesome, I actually thought the first 2 were better movies. Some people said ROTK did so well at the oscars because the first 2 had been ignored to an extent. My point being, these films probably weren't treated with the respect and fairness other movies would have got and I think a large part of that is down to genre and snootiness/favouritism towards certain genres.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Dark Knight was probably one of the best films of the year. I don't know if this is a reflection on the general declining quality of movies.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

People say this

literally

every

year.
    It's

because

most

films

released

now

are

shit.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's

because

most

films

released

now

are

shit.
    Not

nece

ssarily

did

you

see

Iron

Man

that

shit

was

awesome

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

did

you

see

Iron

Man
    My vote for Best Picture goes to either Iron Man or The Wrestler btw.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I finally saw The Dark Knight when it was released on DVD. Watched it twice, and kept it a day longer, but it still did not impress me near as much as I expected it to after reading all the posts on this site and other sources. Decent movie, but Batman Begins sticks in my head better.

Merry fucking Christmas Atmosfear's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Dark Knight didn't get nearly as screwed as Defiance did.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Atmosfear View Post
    The Dark Knight didn't get nearly as screwed as Defiance did.
    There can only be one Nazi-related movie nominated for Best Picture at a time, apparently.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

the dark knight WAS an amazing movie.
    that said it's also the most overrated movie in HISTORY, CLEARLY beating the titanic of that title.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There can only be one Nazi-related movie nominated for Best Picture at a time, apparently.
    Yeah and the other one sucked

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    the dark knight WAS an amazing movie.
    that said it's also the most overrated movie in HISTORY, CLEARLY beating the titanic of that title.
    No. You're wrong. Do not pass go. Do not collect two hundred dollars.

Nothing will beat the Titanic. EVER.

it's in the CD charter

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It was okay but it could have been better.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic View Post
    It was okay but it could have been better.
    How?

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

How?
    If it was never made.

it's in the CD charter

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Best Picture nominees:

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
    Frost/Nixon
    Milk
    The Reader
    Slumdog Millionaire

The Dark Knight is up for Best Cinematography and Best Supporting Actor (duh); Best Picture it does not deserve, way too many subplots.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't think there are enough people coming into this thread to criticize the film with barely one sentence and not giving any supporting reasoning.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The thing is that usually when they release the Best Picture nominees there is a film or two that you feel got snubbed but at the end of the day there are still 3 or 4 great movies that got nominated. This year there is one great movie (Benjamin Button), one average movie (Slumdog Millionaire), one awful movie (The Reader), and two shit movie political nods (Nixon-hating and faggot-loving.)

Remember how much the critics loved that shitfuckfest Bobby?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The thing is that usually when they release the Best Picture nominees there is a film or two that you feel got snubbed but at the end of the day there are still 3 or 4 great movies that got nominated. This year there is one great movie (Benjamin Button), one average movie (Slumdog Millionaire), one awful movie (The Reader), and two shit movie political nods (Nixon-hating and faggot-loving.)

Remember how much the critics loved that shitfuckfest Bobby?
    The critics loved the Dark Knight and hated the Reader though.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

one average movie (Slumdog Millionaire)
    Also TOGS is going to accidentally spill his semen all over the carpet when he reads this.

Scito Te Ipsum TheOriginalGrumpySpy's Avatar
    I am not a citizen of Athens or of Greece but of the world.
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Benjamin Button and Slumdog are both on an equal playing field as far as I'm concerned as great great movies. I haven't seen The Reader let alone heard of it to pass judgment.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

How?
    Honestly, when I see a movie and LOVE it, I want to love everything about it. The one big thing about Dark Knight that I hate is the god damn car chase scene. If you asked me how I think it could have been better, all I can think of is the car chase.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Infernus View Post
    Yeah. People are always saying how TV sucks right now, but I don't remember there being better shows on tv. There will always be crap but theres still a lot of smart, funny television.
    The 21st century has seen the best and the worst television there's ever been.

All of the arts suffer from this "classicist" syndrome. Theatre (especially musicals -- god how people long for the day of Rogers and Hammerstein), TV, movies, literature and art art. Everyone goes around saying how nothing good is made in any of these fields any more.

The only one of those about which that statement is even vaguely true is literature (books), I think, and it's only got some truth to it.