Thread: S&W Model 438 Bodyguard

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default S&W Model 438 Bodyguard

I went looking for shotguns today. Never got around to them but we looked at several pistols for the wife. She liked this one. It didn't have the pink grips though. Now I know S&W has had issues lately. Are there any with this pistol? I've never fired a DA revolver before so I was biased on that thinking it would suck but it had a nice even pull and a crisp break. $470 was the price on the new gun. Didn't seem too bad. I liked the way they covered the hammer. Seems logical.

What are your thoughts on this gun? We're still going to look elsewhere and at different pistols.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You should not have any mechanical issues with the 438. It is a well built and reliable tool. The issues with new S&W revolvers come into play in the light weight magnums. The IL (internal lock or Hillary hole) can not take the sharp recoil of a magnum load in light weight alloy frame. The only documented failures of the IL I have ever heard of were in these light magnum guns thogh the 500 magnum seems to be free of these types of failures. Other than that there are many political issues with S&W, but then there are political issues with Ruger and Colt as well, .... but that is a personal thing.

Just because old farts like me think the IL is butt fucking ugly and the MIM parts have no soul, does not make them bad tools. It just make me long for the way thing used to be.

She may also like a S&W M36 with a bobbed hammer, basically the same gun but without the camel hump.

http://www.justpistols.co.uk/m36_001.jpg
    Last edited by smith357; 01-23-2009 at 09:30 PM.
    Green is the new Red.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We saw a Taurus .38 with a bobbed hammer. It had pink grips and a price tag of 400. Is that a good price? If so we'll probably end up getting that one. How close are the S&W and Taurus revolvers in actual size? They look close but I was wondering if the lasermax.com laser made for S&W would fit on the back of the frame?

I also found this. How do you go about ordering online and getting it shipped to a dealer? I'd also like to know if I can customize it before I buy it. Like pink colored grips.
    Last edited by Atomic; 01-24-2009 at 08:51 PM.

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU Anonymous D's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

For ordering online, you need to find someone with an FFL, and get them to order it.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic View Post
    We saw a Taurus .38 with a bobbed hammer. It had pink grips and a price tag of 400. Is that a good price? If so we'll probably end up getting that one. How close are the S&W and Taurus revolvers in actual size? They look close but I was wondering if the lasermax.com laser made for S&W would fit on the back of the frame?

I also found this. How do you go about ordering online and getting it shipped to a dealer? I'd also like to know if I can customize it before I buy it. Like pink colored grips.
    If you look on GunBroker.com you will get a rough idea of current pricing on guns you are looking at. Often you can a very good deal. Most FFLs charge a nominal fee for tranfers, My guy at the range charges $25 per shipment.

As for getting one straight from the manufacture web site just go to your local gun shop and have them order it for you.
    Green is the new Red.