Thread: Thinking about getting a revolver...

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU Anonymous D's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Thinking about getting a revolver...

Any suggestions?

Id LOVE to get a SS Cold Anaconda in .44 mag with something like an 6 in barrel, maybe longer. But its way too expensive.

.44 Mag or 357 Mag are the two calibers Im most interested in. Id prefer stainless steel, but I can go with black or blued. And I want a long ass barrel. That is the one thing that suggestions HAVE to have. At least six inches of barrel. I want something that looks very intimidating. Im thinking about replacing the Taurus PT100 .40 S&W on my night stand with this.

Last edited by Anonymous D; 01-23-2009 at 09:53 PM.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

For a nightstand gun I would recommend you go the .357 route. In a 6" barrel I would recommend using .38+p as recoil and flash is much less and you follow up shot much easier. My nightstand gun is a 6" K-38 using the venerable FBI load 158grain HPSWCs, I'm very confident of its stopping power as proven by it's long history of one shot stops and not overly worried about over penetration. The 6'" barrel means extreme accuracy is a given.

If you go .44 magnum for dual purpose hunting, or what not, use the .44 special loading for HD as muzzle flash and recoil is much more manageable, stopping power is there and over penetration is a non-issue, plus it looks better in court if you're not using the evil Magnum.

Gun to look at would be

.357s
    S&W M27, M28, M627 N frames. M19, M66, K frames. M586, M686 L frames
    Ruger GP100 or Security Six

44s.
    S&W M29 M629
    Ruger Redhawk and Super Redhawk

This is my nightstand gun.
    S&W M14 K38 Target Masterpiece. The M19 would be the .357 version of this gun.

Last edited by smith357; 01-23-2009 at 10:32 PM.
    Green is the new Red.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I was looking at the Rugers. THey are nice, but a little pricey.

I have a Taurus PT100 so I decided to look at their revolvers, and I like the Model 66. And the price is very nice.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'll vouch for the S&W 586/686. In case you didn't know the 586 and 686 are the same gun the 586 is blued and the 686 is stainless. Most S&W models that start with '6' are stainless. The 29 is blue and the 629 is stainless for example.

but anyway, the 586/686 is an L frame, which is a larger, heavier frame with smaller K frame sized grips. it gives the gun a heavier feeling that feels good to hold (at least in my opinion) without needing gorilla paws to hang on to it.

Rossi and Taurus are sometimes copies of something else, ( I have a Rossi M62 which is exactly the same as a Win 62) I don't what the one you posted is a copy of (or if it is a copy) so that may be the road to take if your looking for a S&W style gun without the S&W price. As far a quality goes I don't really know how a Rossi compares to a Smith.

Rossi's are made in Brazil though. I like to buy American, but thats just personal preference.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would stay clear of the Rossi, it does not have a good reputation. The folk I know who owned them were not very happy with them and quickly got rid of them. Taurus quality has vastly improved over the years and the new ones are very fine firearms.

You should be able to find a good used pre lock 6" 686 in the $400 ball park. I saw several at last months OGCA show in that price range, and a couple of 8" guns with factory silhouette sights for $400.

The Ruger Security Six can be found for 3-400 depending on finish and condition and is your typical Ruger Tank that can take anything you can throw at it .
    Green is the new Red.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Ive been reading that Taurus make alot of Rossis revolvers.

And Ill probably end up doing what I always do. Just get the money I have, and go to a few shops till I find something I really like.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My brother has the Taurus Tracker in .357 with the long ass barrel, and it is a great gun.

It's super accurate, and the trigger gets better with time.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I can strongly, strongly vouch for a Ruger GP-100; definitely a solid revolver. If you shop around you should be able to find one for under $500 (at least that's how it was before all this Obama scaremongering got started; haven't looked at prices more recently). Also, it is (to my knowledge) particularly resistant to gas cutting on the topstrap due to shooting lots of full-powered magnum loads, which may be something for you to consider.

Your nightstand gun should really have a light on it, though. Any gun you use for home defense should have a light on it; to do otherwise is irresponsible. Very few revolvers have light rails on them. Unless you are willing to shell out $1200+ for a 327 TRR8, stick with that PT100 (or another railed automatic) as your nightstand gun, and keep a good light on it.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In general, I'm not a fan of revolvers--no disrespect to those that do, and I understand that they're certainly fine defensive weapons even in a world dominated by autos.
    I like the idea of getting a Raging Bull in .454 Casull. I looked at the .460S&W, but I don't like its aesthetics... and .454 Casull offers plenty of power for any purpose that I can think of, as well as the option of going to .45 Colt without any drama.

However, given the constraints of .357 Mag and .44 Mag calibers, I would suggest looking into the S&W 686, S&W 629, and Taurus 66. Granted, I have no experience with said firearms, but I do keep up with reviews, customer service feedback, et cetera. I don't think you'll be upset with any of the choices I mentioned. I must admit that I only find revolvers with, I believe it's called, a full underlug, attractive.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Don't forget that before the rail-mounted light craze, there were purpose built weaponlights that were handheld, not to mention a wide array of techniques for gripping conventional lights. http://www.nrapublications.org/si/HB_handgun.html

In fact, to date I do not have a rail equipped pistol. My Tac-Four was purchased before Para started building rails and everything else I own is much older. One thing that did not impress me early on was the M3 that blew a bulb while I was firing a Glock 23 in daylight. Since then my company received an order of M3X lights which were mounted to M4s with no problems.

As for revolvers versus pistols, it is a matter of preference. I've always preferred pistols but my next purchase will probably be a revolver or two. Something J-frame (Taurus 85) and something bigger (Judge or one of the powerhouses). Speedloaders are not quite as fast as magazines, but I have yet to have a failure to feed or fire with a revolver.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dude, there's a Raging Bull in .454 at a shop here for only about 500 bones.

tempting.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

GO FOR IT.

And remember, if you don't like it, I'll be very happy to take it off your hands for you, in three years... *shakes fist at NJ gun laws*
    Last edited by crunker; 02-11-2009 at 07:40 PM.