Thread: Tension within a college apartment

can't post; too scared Anonymous's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Tension within a college apartment

When the 6 of us moved in here we obviously didn't know each other.
    There are 3 guys and 3 girls all from different parts of the country although myself and another girl come from the same place. (we don't each other)
    The other 2 girls were friends beforehand.
    In our first semester the girl from my part became isolated and did her own stuff.
    We (the other 5) got the impression that she didn't like us because she was more of an alcoholic than the rest of us and we didn't meet her criteria for "friends".

However, when I was back home for Christmas break I was talking to a mutual friend of myself and the isolated girl. He told me that she isolated herself because she thought that we didn't like her....

I immediately began to talk to her when I got back up. I thought this was wrong.
    it's all sorted out not apart from the two girls who just don't like her.
    They won't conform to "forgive and forget" and it's causing unbelievable tension in the apartment because of sweet fuck all!

How do I go about this. I just want everyone - and i mean everyone to get along!

I loves sausage festival! djwolford's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Well women are irrational creatures, so it's going to be pretty hard to get them all to get along. Just be friendly to everyone, maybe try to get them to partake in some activities or something together. Like shopping or making sandwiches. You know, woman stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toki
    Oh, gives to me opposites werewolves that turns to humans whens the moons comes outs!
    We's not goes downs that dusty roads again!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickles
    Toki is that straight vadka? It's not even noon...

can't post; too scared Anonymous's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by djwolford View Post
    Well women are irrational creatures, so it's going to be pretty hard to get them all to get along. Just be friendly to everyone, maybe try to get them to partake in some activities or something together. Like shopping or making sandwiches. You know, woman stuff.
    This is what I was thinking too, however, even last night we had a party and the other two girls made sure to do their own thing.
    I don't really care to be honest, so long as I try I don't have to worry about a guilty concience.
    Why is the right thing always the hardest thing to do?

I loves sausage festival! djwolford's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Well you don't really have to try to not have a guilty conscience. It's something that isn't within your control, and it's not your responsibility to get people to like each other. It's something that you can do if you feel like tackling that project, but you shouldn't feel the least bit obligated to it.

To answer your question though, the right thing is always the hardest thing to do because if it wasn't, it wouldn't carry the same feeling of accomplishment when you do it.
    Oh, gives to me opposites werewolves that turns to humans whens the moons comes outs!
    We's not goes downs that dusty roads again!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickles
    Toki is that straight vadka? It's not even noon...

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When will people stop thinking that you have to be best friends with your random room mates? You don't and you can't and everyone is NOT going to get along. Screw it. Let her do her own thing. You've done your part. Let the girls sort it out between themselves.

Seriously. If you weren't friends with these people before you lived together, you're probably not going to be friends after. My friends who are a few years ahead of me rarely, if ever, talk to former room mates that they weren't friends with before after they move out. Here and there you meet somebody cool and stay friends with them, but for the most part you're living together because you're all broke as jokes. Don't try to make it something it's not.

If you're going to drive yourself crazy, do it trying to save real friendships, not trying to force 6 random strangers to get along.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

6 strangers in a household?

VERY unlikely to be all love and sunshine - rather, the only way it will work is if you (that is, you and your housemates) recognize that you're not all going to get along all the time and learn to accept it and deal with it.

If you (I mean you yourself now) can't accept this, they you may as well move out now than put yourself woe trying to change what you can't change.