Thread: Which car maker do you prefer?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Which car maker do you prefer?

There are Ford guys, Chevy guys and somewhere maybe even some Dodge guys who don't mind a new transmission or motor every 30,000 miles. I'm usually faithful to what I currently own. Old Ford trucks, new GMCs and Mustangs. That said, I've owned something by almost everyone; BMW, Chevy, Ford, Dodge, Toyota, Mercedes, Nissan, GMC, Willys, Mercury.

In the grand scheme of things I'd say GM and Ford have always been favorites. I do like certain products from one manufacturer better than those by the other. Mustang over the Camaro, Crown Vic over the Caprice, newer GM cars over Fords, old Ford trucks over GM, opposite for new trucks. Which company do you favor?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm gonna be completely honest, I wouldn't buy a new american car. I would buy a Subaru given the option of buying any reasonably priced car I want. American cars just cost too much, use too much gas, aren't as safe, and they don't hold up as well as imports. It sucks, but it's the truth I see. Subaru, Honda, and Nissan are all people I would buy a car from, whereas Ford, GM, and Chrysler are not.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nissan. I have a 1996 Nissan Sentra GXE and I have put 30 thousand miles on it in the last two years, has 180 thousand total on it. Strong running engine, the only thing I have had to fix is put in some new spark plugs, a new alternator, and a new battery.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maliathone View Post
    Nissan. I have a 1996 Nissan Sentra GXE and I have put 30 thousand miles on it in the last two years, has 180 thousand total on it. Strong running engine, the only thing I have had to fix is put in some new spark plugs, a new alternator, and a new battery.
    I had a '99. Bought it in '02 with 31k miles and traded it in '07 with over 150k. I put a battery in it, did a tune up and drained and refilled the transmission fluid. The rear main seal was leaking like hell and the drivers side window switch was broken when I traded it in, but she was a great little car. Just needed something bigger for the kids.

As for American cars, they are getting better. Ten years ago imports were much better, however, in recent years the American companies have started trying to win back their reputations.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Toyota trucks, So far I have 2 a 94 daily driver and a 84 beater I drove home for $500 to go out and thrash on.
    I do have my 84 ford diesel for heavy hauling and getting firewood, sits most of the year.

I loves sausage festival! djwolford's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

By far Toyota. I love the fact that you can beat them mercilessly forever and they never seem to give up. I had a Toyota Echo that I actually rolled a few times, and despite the fact that it was too beat up to drive, the engine would still turn over and run smoothly. That's pretty impressive imo. I also had an old Tercel that had 220k miles+ on it when I sold it that I used as a weekend rally car.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toki
    Oh, gives to me opposites werewolves that turns to humans whens the moons comes outs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Toki
    We's not goes downs that dusty roads again!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickles
    Toki is that straight vadka? It's not even noon...

Imma chargin my lazor clownsocs's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I like ford. inb4 found on road dead.
    You cast bong and hit for 420 damage!

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I'll be getting an '02 Silverado before long. It's still in top condition.
    I hear the voices inside my head. They counsel me. They understand. They talk to me.

Quote Originally Posted by djwolford View Post
    You know, when Tidus points out that you have failed at internetting, it's probably time to go ahead and off yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by gwahir View Post
    pepsi reserves the right to tell cryptic to get out at any time

it's in the CD charter

Credits
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

BUICK he roared.

Seriously though, I had an 88' Buick LeSabre and it was the best car on the face of the earf. I want another 88' Buick LeSabre.

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
    BUICK he roared.

Seriously though, I had an 88' Buick LeSabre and it was the best car on the face of the earf. I want another 88' Buick LeSabre.
    Buick is a GM sub-division, no?
    I hear the voices inside my head. They counsel me. They understand. They talk to me.

You know, when Tidus points out that you have failed at internetting, it's probably time to go ahead and off yourself.

it's in the CD charter

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pepsi View Post
    Buick is a GM sub-division, no?
    Yes.

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shinysides View Post
    Yes.
    Thank you kind sir.

it's in the CD charter

Credits
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

*shrug* ok, GM then.

Merry fucking Christmas Atmosfear's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My favorite car of all time will always be the Land Rover Defender and some day I will find one and buy one (or they will re-release it in America.)

GM for their Tahoes and Trucks.

BMW for the 3 Series, X5, and X6.

Landrover for the Defender, Discovery, and Range Rover.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I prefer GM vehicles with honorable mentions like BMW and Subaru.

Why so delirious?
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

By far Toyota. I love the fact that you can beat them mercilessly forever and they never seem to give up. I had a Toyota Echo that I actually rolled a few times, and despite the fact that it was too beat up to drive, the engine would still turn over and run smoothly. That's pretty impressive imo. I also had an old Tercel that had 220k miles+ on it when I sold it that I used as a weekend rally car.
    Yes I love Toyota! I currently have a four-door Echo and it's been amazing for the six years we've been driving it (and it has about 150k miles on it so far). Great gas mileage, extremely reliable, awesome stock sound system, cheap, and dark blue. What more could one ask? Oh, and it has surprisingly good acceleration, too.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UnreasonablyReasonable View Post
    What more could one ask?
    Torque
    4 wheel drive
    a car that can seat more then 1 person comfortably
    cheap maintenance parts
    something that doesn't look like a Japanese Metro

just to name a few.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Torque in a compact car? 4 wheel drive? They also seat pretty comfortably, contrary to what you may think by looking from the outside. Maintenance parts? The cost doesn't matter, Toyotas don't need fixin', and they realllllyyyy don't look that bad.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was just at the autoshow and the Jeep Patriot actually was cheaper, bigger, and got better MPG than most cars I saw. These features made it really catch my eye for my next economy car.

Ford is pretty good too. The fricken F150 Raptor at the auto show was FUCKING AMAZING. I had a lightning a while back and it was kick ass.

For some reason, I have always wanted a land rover or H1, and would also be inclined to buy a jap car (especially Honda).

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bowzer View Post

For some reason, I have always wanted a land rover or H1, and would also be inclined to buy a jap car (especially Honda).
    A farm (or something) I pass on my way to work has a HMMWV. It looks odd with civilian tires on it, but I would love to see a "for sale" sign on it. I was watching Youtube videos one night of a stock H1 going on a trail with a lifted and built F-350. The H1 was holding its own, and that trail was no joke. IIRC it was creek with some deep pools.