Thread: Auto Part Terminology (Exhaust system)

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Auto Part Terminology (Exhaust system)

My 03 Mitsubishi Lancer I bought last year has been serving me fabulously. There are just a few minor things wrong, basic maintenance stuff really(belts brakes tie rod ends etc etc). However, there is one thing that will pose as a problem when state inspection and emissions time comes rolling around in April. One of the pipes in my exhaust system has finally rusted all the way through, right on the seam.

Now I've done some research trying to find this part but I've come up empty handed. Maybe I lack the automotive Google search know how or maybe I'm just fail, who knows. Since I cant seem to find the part I need I turn to any auto junkies who knows all of the parts or at least most of the proper names for each part in a car.

The part in question is as I said an exhaust pipe. This particular pipe is located right under the engine. I believe its the pipe that connects the exhaust manifold to the muffler, tail pipe and any other parts of the exhaust. This pipe is also connected to a longer mesh covered section. This mesh covered section may or may not be fully connected to the part I need.

I just need to know the proper name of this part so I can start pricing it to see how much I'll need to fork out when the time comes. Any help will be much appreciated

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hmmm... if you have a picture that'd be better.

Is there a catalytic converter on this pipe? It sounds like it's in between the manifolds and cat, so stock Y pipe? Or H pipe, whatever I'm not familiar with exhaust setups on Lancers.

A catback system is everything from tail pipes to intermediate pipe (or I-pipe) before the catalytic converter usually. Then it extends to a cat or catted y/x/h pipe of some kind. And then to manifolds or headers. That's typically how it's laid out. I know a lot of cars have a resonator and stuff on them too.

Maybe someone who knows Jap exhausts a little better can help. If it was an 82-02 Fbody I could help better.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thank you for the help Harner. I'll try and find a picture of the pipe. At 1 time I did fine a full exhaust picture that had i believe 3 different parts one of which look exactly like the one I need. I'll see if I can come across that again.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok heres the best I could do.

In the first one I've circled the closest part to which I think I need. Though its hard to see I think the end of it may not have the 90 degree curve up that my stock part has.

exhaust

This one gives a little bit of a better picture but there are two differences. The section circled in blue is not a dual setup in my car. This being a performance replacement part it has a dual pipe set up, my car does not have this. The section circled in red is the mesh covered part on my car. However, in this performance part its much shorter; mine is about a foot and a half long.

moar

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The red circled part in the 2nd picture is called the catalytic converter. The performance piece has a 'hi-flow' catalytic converter to boost performance (less restriction). Yours is longer because that's standard, and generally required to pass emissions testing.

From what I can tell, you'll have to get a new catalytic converter piece. Generally they are sold separate like the first picture shows. This can be expensive, especially if the catalytic converter you have is still working fine, since you are just throwing it away. Your best option may be to take it to a muffler shop, like Cole Muffler, and see if they can weld the hole shut. Chances are this will be your cheapest solution.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try and get a picture of my actual exhaust issue. I'll also see about my local shops and see if any of them can mend it.

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU Anonymous D's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The red circle in the second pic isnt the cat converter. Its just a par that allows the pipe to give a little. You bet bet woul be to take it to amuffler shop and get them to replace the rusted pipe. They can just cut out the bad part, and weld in anew piece.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Tried googling for "downpipe"?

On my car, the second picture's pipe connects the exhaust system to the turbocharger, and looks similar to what you provided. Also in the second picture, the piece that you put a blue circle around is what would connect to what is on the other side of the header that is in the same picture.