Thread: Another Shaving Question

can't post; too scared Anonymous's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Another Shaving Question

...not about shaving pubes this time.

I was wondering if anyone has some decent tips for avoiding shaving rash and ingrown hairs. I have naturally curly hair so I'm rather prone to both of these problems.

I was specifically wondering if using an electric shaver might eliminate my problem as I've tried just about everything else I can think of (i.e. shaving oil, anti-shaving rash balm etc etc) or if anyone can suggest some clippers which would enable me to maintain a bit of stubble as opposed to shaving everything off....

Strangle Hazard thank mr skeltal's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I've found electric razors actually cause more stubble and razor burn on my face than a good straight blade. I tend to alternate between the convenience of an electric most days, and every now and then (usually Monday since my face has grown out over the weekend) I'll whip out the Mach 3 and use super hot water and plenty of lather to get a good close shave. Also you might get some aftershave lotion for sensitive skin types, that will help a ton.

Credits
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I used to use a fusion and it gave me hell like nothing else. I since downgraded to a custom 3 plus sensitive and I haven't really had a problem since. I still get a way closer shave than I ever did with an electric and I don't really have any problems anymore. The blades on the custom 3 are a lot farther spaced, I think that's what helps.

I also use nivea's for men sensitive skin gel, I doubt it actually makes a lot of difference but it's worth trying. It certainly doesn't dry out my skin at the very least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Atmosfear View Post
    scarf wasn't man enough to do it so queendork pushed herself down the stairs.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I personally use a Fusion, but most guys I know not only prefer a single bladed razor, they feel they get a better shave with it. I also have a friend who uses a safety razor, and he says he'll never use anything else. Just keep in mind that there's lots of options and if what you're doing isn't working, try something else.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have been told that if you shave consistently it will go away after time. I cant confirm this since I do not really get bumps or rashes.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

a
    Last edited by zeroslave; 08-10-2011 at 04:44 AM.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Have you ever shaved during a nice hot shower (after you've been in there for a good few minutes)? No need for shaving cream. I get pretty bad cuts and razor burn when I shave, or at least, I did until I used the shower method. Closest, quickest and most painless shave of my life.

Merry fucking Christmas Atmosfear's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I used to get a little razor burn in one spot under my neck. I went to Kiehl's and figured out what I needed and I haven't had an issue since:

Shave Cream: http://www.kiehls.com/_us/_en/men/ul...blue-eagle.htm

Note that this won't lather at all. It's more of a beard lube than a cream. They make a scented version, but I wear cologne so I figured it would be better to stay unscented.

Lotion: http://www.kiehls.com/_us/_en/face/f...e=Men_Very_Dry

My face used to tend to get dried out, especially in colder weather, so I picked that up as well. Great product.

I use a Gillette Fusion Power. It's been better for me than a Mach 3 Power.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gwahir View Post
    Have you ever shaved during a nice hot shower (after you've been in there for a good few minutes)? No need for shaving cream. I get pretty bad cuts and razor burn when I shave, or at least, I did until I used the shower method. Closest, quickest and most painless shave of my life.
    You must be unique in this, as even though a hot shower definitely helps greatly, most guys I know still have to use shaving cream.

Additionally, as others have said, electric razors will be worse than manual ones. Also, I have heard that fewer but sharp blades work better than the billion bladed monstrosities that have hit the market. In fact, I know one guy that uses a straight razor and swears by it (though he also admittedly uses it for its "style").

But yeah: a nice sharp manual razor, proper shaving cream, proper after shave treatment, and always taking a shower prior to shaving will all help greatly.

PANDAS
    If you don't like them, then get the fuck out.

Quote Originally Posted by Think View Post
    Atheists are quite right

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I use a Fusion with the shower method and no shaving cream. Works amazingly for me.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't think i'd be able to shave without a mirror, don't really understand the shower method.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mang View Post
    I don't think i'd be able to shave without a mirror, don't really understand the shower method.
    Take a shower, get out of shower, don't dry face, and shave. You don't have to be in the shower...just shave after it.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ozzy View Post
    Take a shower, get out of shower, don't dry face, and shave. You don't have to be in the shower...just shave after it.
    Oh right, I just splash hot water on my face before shaving.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Oh right, I just splash hot water on my face before shaving.
    Yep, same idea. Shaving cream is for nancies.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ozzy View Post
    Yep, same idea. Shaving cream is for nancies.
    I also use shaving cream... does this make me a double-nancy?

Credits
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The first while you miss some spots but after a bit you learn how to feel for what you miss. I've gotten to the point that I do it half asleep in no time at all, I guess it become second nature after you do it long enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Atmosfear View Post
    scarf wasn't man enough to do it so queendork pushed herself down the stairs.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Now that this thread is here.. I'd like to hear what's the most painless way for men to shave their armpits? And do you think it looks good?

Merry fucking Christmas Atmosfear's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Like once a year I trim with scissors or, if I'm lazy, clippers without a guard. That once a year is always before Spring Break.