Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Killzone 2

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Killzone 2

I'm a little surprised to see that no one has created a thread about this yet. Anyone have it? and if so....thoughts?

I picked it up about a week before the release date, so I've had a fair amount of time to play it. All I can say is that the production values are amazing - the graphics, effects, sound etc etc and the multiplayer is great and completely lag-free.

The controls, on the other hand, are driving me mental. Whose intelligent idea was it to implement such a gigantic deadzone and ridiculous acceleration into the analogue control scheme? It makes competitive multiplayer completely unfeasible.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can't you change the controls?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

First off, how did you get it a week before.

Secondly,. I have no controls at all. I like how the weapons have a "weight" to them. I got worried because there was a lot of bitching about this in reviews and when I downloaded the demo I didn't have any problems.

I thoroughly enjoy the game so far. It's very challenging and the multiplayer is quite intense.

EDIT - I think people's biggest problem is the change of pace. In games like Call of Duty and Halo you can glide around the battle field and turn and shoot with an unnatural ease. KZ2 makes your player move in what I feel is a realistic pace. You have to make your movements through the battle field with precaution and make your shots count.

Just my 2cents anyway.
    Last edited by SneeBeezums; 02-28-2009 at 03:24 AM.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I ordered it online from renchi.com.

As for the controls, I don't really have a massive issue with them in single-player however as far as multiplayer goes...it just seems to be unnecessarily difficult to keep your crosshairs on a moving target because of the acceleration. That, combined with the erratic movements of other players, just takes away from the enjoyment factor.

...and no, you can't change the controls in that sense.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I dunno I guess it just depends on the person.

I will say this though. They better release a patch or something that let's you keep your stats you earned in a game if you get disconnected. I was playing in Warzone and I racked up about 20 kills and then I got disconnected. Unlike CoD4 where you'll still get your points for killing the other team I was rewarded with nothing. Which is pretty lame.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Agreed. The latest patch is also a gigantic load of crap. Disabling bots in online play....just to stop stat padding?

They better find a better fix ASAP.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crysack View Post
    Agreed. The latest patch is also a gigantic load of crap. Disabling bots in online play....just to stop stat padding?

They better find a better fix ASAP.
    Actually I'm glad they did so people don't rack up their stats against bots instead of real people. People were bitching all over the KZ2 forums. So they need to leave this alone.

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU Anonymous D's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Im thinking about picking this up. I might rent it first though. I like the first one. The single player atleast.

the eagle
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think it's great. I don't know why people are complaining about the online. I have no problem scoring kills, etc.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous D View Post
    Im thinking about picking this up. I might rent it first though. I like the first one. The single player atleast.
    If you enjoyed the first one, the second is above and beyond it as far as I'm concerned. Once you get past that you aren't playing Call of Duty and realize that this is a completely different game, it is very enjoyable.

Credits
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I never played the first one. I like Call of Duty. I also like Halo and Half-life and Ghost Recon (the old ones, not GRAW) and the Battlefield games. Is this game for me?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
    I never played the first one. I like Call of Duty. I also like Halo and Half-life and Ghost Recon (the old ones, not GRAW) and the Battlefield games. Is this game for me?
    Sounds like you are a fan of FPS, so my answer is yes. I've played most of the games you have listed and enjoyed most of them. KZ2 ranks up there with them as far as I'm concerned.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I got this today and have played through the first 2 levels. It is very different, especially because im a strong CoD4 online player, however I like it, it feels more realistic, weighty and it makes a change from every other FPS out there.

I've been checking out various review sites and it's insane how many people are complaining about the controls, which is a shame considering what I have seen from the game so far is brilliant. The simple answer is to stop playing if you dont like it but then again, people like to complain. Sadly I can't get online yet at my Uni internet but from what I've heard it's brilliant.

If people are willing to try something a little different without straying too far from the main formula then this game really hits the spot, awesome job Guerilla.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mr E, you may have an issue with the controls as while people here obviously don't mind them they are most certainly nothing like those of more twitchy shooters like CoD.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I heard many people complain about the controls, but i think that is just people bitching about differences rather than trying to adjust.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Runnings View Post
    I heard many people complain about the controls, but i think that is just people bitching about differences rather than trying to adjust.
    Yup, agreed

Credits
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Well I can get used to wonky controls if it is worth it to.

I think I will rent it soon.

the eagle
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The controls aren't really wonky, they just feel like you're controlling a guy who weighs 260+ pounds of muscle, and is carrying a 30 pound gun.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Found this on another forum:
    Quote Originally Posted by ElArabDeMagnifico
    If you're having trouble with the aiming (ie wild acceleration and huge deadzone), try changing the cross color reduction filter setting on your PS3 (it's under display options on the XMB). If it's off, turn it on, and vice versa. I tried it and the controls vastly improved.

I had given up playing the game; constantly fighting the controls ruined it for me. But the issue is more or less solved now. It's a night and day difference. All of a sudden I see why some people swore there were no control issues.
    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.93023

the eagle
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Found a glitch online:

I was using the shotgun, as I literally kept running into the other team, and have my sensitivity low because I hate overshooting distant targets, so I was only getting one shot off, so I switched to the shotgun from the SMG.

When I pulled it up to aim, the flashlight came on, like it usually does, but it tracked the target, ALA single player campaign. The lock ensured I got kills every time. Needless to say, I didn't use it - it's a glitch, but I kept using the shotgun. But people complained that I was exploiting the glitch, even though I wasn't. As it turns out, one shot is all you need with that SOB, but it is terrrible at distances. Like 4-5 shots to even ding someone.

Anyway, they might patch it, they might not. I hope they do, so I can go back to using that gun without people giving me shit for exploiting. Even though I'm not. I'll stick with the SMG until they fix it.

Also, I wish the class-up system was more robust for online play. Just wish there was a little more in terms of guns/classes.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's a pretty well-known glitch online, and it's why most people were using shotguns before the latest patch. They've apparently fixed it now along with tweaking the aiming (I can't check because of a capped net).

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They also added toggled crouch now which is a nice upgrade.

Is there a way to check to see what they do to each update?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How's it compared to the first one? Because I REALLY disliked the first one.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jack burden View Post
    How's it compared to the first one? Because I REALLY disliked the first one.
    Above and beyond. This game is definately worth owning.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I finished this game a few days ago and it's extremelly good. I wont spoil anything for those who are playing it. I'm now replaying it on 'elite' difficulty...and um..yeah it pretty damn hard, you really have to make each shot count and use tactics and cover to their absolute max. Guerrilla really made a breakthrough with the enemy AI in this one

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Just picked it up. Hopefully I get to check it out tonight.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

So far I like it. I have no problems with the controls, but they are alot different from CoD.

I beat the ATAC in a minute and got the trophy for that.

I just got on the Helgan Train and quit there. When you start with just a pistol.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ugh. That part was so god damn frustrating. I don't know how many times I died right there. Until I realized there was a set of those shock tower things on both sides of the roof. Then I killed it within a minute. I felt like a fool.

the eagle
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So far I like it. I have no problems with the controls, but they are alot different from CoD.

I just got on the Helgan Train and quit there. When you start with just a pistol.
    I died 50+ times on the train. Hated that level, it was a piece of shit.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SneeBeezums View Post
    Ugh. That part was so god damn frustrating. I don't know how many times I died right there. Until I realized there was a set of those shock tower things on both sides of the roof. Then I killed it within a minute. I felt like a fool.
    You can also go under the roof. Go to the side and go down the stairs and there is a tunnel with windows in it. You are covered good, and you have a clear shot to the power things. I didnt even get hit once.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I beat it today.

Fucking last level was stupid hard. Radecs gaurds with the RPGs kept fucking me up. Id have to snipe and move to stay alive because they had 4 guys with rocket launchers shooting at us. Then Rico would run to teh ground floor and get taken down, and Id have to fight my way to him to save him, and I would almost always get snuck from a corner.

the eagle
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The train was worse for me, because when I was fighting Radec's guards, I felt like I was making headway. Train+Elite Guards+No Cover+Rico+Infinitely Respawning Enemies=Fail

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

You have to advance and kill some close up. They wont keep respawning when you advance.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I had the same problem with Rico dying on the last battle. After the cutscene and he went down there, I had to jump over the railing to save his ass. I eventually went upstairs to fight the rocket launcher assholes. I hope in the next game they add off/online co-op.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SneeBeezums View Post
    I had the same problem with Rico dying on the last battle. After the cutscene and he went down there, I had to jump over the railing to save his ass. I eventually went upstairs to fight the rocket launcher assholes. I hope in the next game they add off/online co-op.
    Exactly the same thing that was happening to me. I found it easier to take cover in the stairs that go to the balcony though.

A very manly muppet Mad Pino Rage's Avatar
    Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Gorgeous looking game. Haven't played the previous Killzone, so I'm not too keen on the backstory. It was weird to play at first because of controls, but I'm use to it and glad that I purchased this game.
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
    Albert Einstein

the eagle
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Back story:

We've colonized other planets, and the Helghan corporation colonized Helghast. Due to the planets natural gasses, futher generations pigmentation changed all up, and the working class, who mined the planet, began wearing respirators. Soon enough, their eyes turned red so they could see better in all the dust, and the people grew restless, blaming the other worlds because they got the short end of the stick and refuse to ship out any resources. A war erupts, brutal, long, but the Vektans and ISA emerge victorious over the Helghans.

A few years pass, and Scolar Visari rises to power on Helghan, renames their infantry as 'the Helghast', and promotes the use of the gas-masks to not only instill fear in their opponents, but to keep his soldiers breathing the poisoned air on other planets during invasions, as straight oxygen makes the sluggish. He sends troops to invade Vekta, which has a large satellite defense grid, which suspiciously fails during the initial assault on the planet. There is a traitor general (killed in KZ1 by Jan and Rico). Jan, the commander of The New Dawn, the dropship you're on, is the hero of the first game and Killzone Liberation. After repelling the Helghast invasion, a few of their nukes are stolen by a commander and General Radec, but they failed to acquire the launch codes.

Trying to put an end to the war, the ISA/Vektan forces invade Helghan, assuming when they capture Scolar Visari, that the Helghan forces moral will drop to the point of surrender.

That's the basic plot.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is basically future Americans fighting future Nazis.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jack burden View Post
    It is basically future Americans fighting future Nazis.
    Have you been watching Zero Punctuation?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo View Post
    Have you been watching Zero Punctuation?
    Oh yeah. But most everyone drew the same conclusion when they saw the opening for the first game ( http:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4Ns4qIyVpIo ) and the shitty cliched characters you get to play as. I spaced the link because fuck embedding.
    Last edited by jack burden; 03-20-2009 at 12:00 AM.