Thread: Taking up writing

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Taking up writing

So I'm a horrible writer but I kinda want to get into writing just to put my thought down somewhere (no emo) and improve my writing as a byproduct. What are various writing exercises or brainstorming activities do you guys do to help with your writing, say during a writer's block or something?

Would it be better to actually write down my writing (pen to paper) or is it equally efficient to type it up? (I mean to keep the writing process going)

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It depends what works for you. Writing is an incredibly personal thing and how you write best may be completely different to how someone else does so and it might take you a while to figure out which ways work best.

For instance I write most things on paper initially to get ideas down. These are usually haphazardly scattered everywhere with no organization. I'll try to go through all my stuff at least once a month to type stuff up and elaborate on ideas.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend this method though. You should just try everything and see what you find most effective.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Look, it's going to sound awful but writing isn't something you "take up". You do it because you have something you just have to say.

It sounds like you do, so, great.

Honestly the best thing for you to do is read. Read a lot and read often, and, most importantly, read a lot of different things. When you write, don't write to impress anyone. You will fail. Write what you think needs to be written.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm going to suggest starting up one of those million, painful little blogs that nobody really reads.

The more you post in it, saying whatever is really on your mind, the more practice you end up getting with the whole writing process. Soon enough, you'll grow bored with always saying things a certain way (or in my case, growing tired of my own ostentatious writing), and you'll end up developing a real voice that is interesting to read, even if the content is neither important or particularly interesting.

Practice is the most important thing, so the more time you spend writing (either pen and paper or typing - i prefer typing because i can type faster than handwrite, and so keep up with my own breakneck train of thought), the better you will be at it. Read a lot, as Gwahir said, because it gives you inspiration and new ideas to play with while you write.

Also, personally, I've found that writing as though you were having a regular conversation with someone (who is woo lazy to respond) is probably the easiest way to get comfortable with and continue to write, but this is more a matter of opinion than anything else.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It may sound a little cliche, however I usually keep a notebook on myself to note down any descriptions/ideas I come up with. If I'm feeling particularly inspired one day, I'll sit down and write a short story, straight off the bat.

Scito Te Ipsum TheOriginalGrumpySpy's Avatar
    I am not a citizen of Athens or of Greece but of the world.
    Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My best writing (paper or fictional) comes after hours of sleep deprivation and caffeine. I swear.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

pills and alcohol make for some terrible writing

ask l ron hubbard

Credits
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Don't write anything till you're about 40.

Ask Charles Bukowski.