Thread: Finally...

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Finally...

After about 2 months of searching and waiting... I finally got mine. I've been in the market for an AR-15 for a while now, ans wanted to purchase locally, but nobody seems to be able to get/keep them in stock around here. Luckily I happened to take a peek at the mil-surplus store down the road today, and boom... A fresh stock. AR-15's as far as the eye could see. I walked out with a brandy-new Olympic Plinker for $840 after tax. I was looking for a flat-top, but this has the carry-handle. But hey, I can't bitch, I'm just happy I got mine.

Pics to come soon. My phone is being fussy and I can't find my camera.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Alright,heres a picture.

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU Anonymous D's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Nice.

Got any plans for it?

If you really want to get rid of the carry handle, you could find just the upper and get a flat top one and put the barrel on it.

If it was mine, first thing Id do would be to get a collapsible stock.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah I'm ordering a Magpul OE stock as we speak. As for the carry handle, I can deal with it. I'll just get a sight rail adapter and move on with my life until someone tells me they want a carry-handle upper and I can sell it to them. I need to get rid of this damn grip too. Most uncomfortable freaking thing in the world. After I get the stock I'm going to look for a sight rail and a picatinny heat shield. Thennn invest in a nice red-dot.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by srsinternets View Post
    Yeah I'm ordering a Magpul OE stock as we speak. As for the carry handle, I can deal with it. I'll just get a sight rail adapter and move on with my life until someone tells me they want a carry-handle upper and I can sell it to them. I need to get rid of this damn grip too. Most uncomfortable freaking thing in the world. After I get the stock I'm going to look for a sight rail and a picatinny heat shield. Thennn invest in a nice red-dot.
    Get the Magpul CTR. Trust me. I have that one. It does not move at all. Worth the extra money to me.

As for the grip, I have a Magpul OE one, but plan on getting a Magpul MIAD later.

And for the rails, Daniel Defense makes the best. But they are pricey. Mine cost $330. Get something that is free float if you can, but its not a huge deal. Look at the MI ones. They are good, and cheap. DO NOT GET A LEAPERS/UTG. Dont get ANYTHING Leapers/UTG. Its made for airsoft guns.

For red dots, I prefer the EOtech, but the Aimpoint will look better on a carry handle.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the pointers, Anony.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Make sure you order the buffer tube for it too. Get All Mil Spec if you can, not Commercial.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can I not use the buffer tube in this stock?

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by srsinternets View Post
    Can I not use the buffer tube in this stock?
    No. It doesnt have the notches for the pin on the collapsable stock. Its just a smooth stock as far as I know. Never messed with an A2 stock though.

Check out www.adxtactical.com

I order from them all the time. They are good folks. And if you sign up on www.ar15armory.com and let Addax know, you can get a little discount on everything.

Also look into the Vltor SOPMOD stock. Ive never seen one IRL, but I hear nothing but good things.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous D View Post
    No. It doesnt have the notches for the pin on the collapsable stock. Its just a smooth stock as far as I know. Never messed with an A2 stock though.
    Right right, that would make sense.

The SOPMOD stock looks nice, but a bit too pricey for my tastes. I think I'll stick with the CTR for now.

EDIT: From ADXTactical:

"Availability: Typically ships within 45 days"

Thats on the Magpul CTR. Holy shit! Do they mean I'll typically recieve it within 45 days or they wont have it shipped til then... Because, fuck, thats slow.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

AR stuff is hard since Obama got elected. Especially from MAGPUL, they are using most of their polymer to make mags now. You might be able to find it in stock somewhere though.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This thing has changed a LOT in the last couple days.

The red dot is just a cheapo red/green Leapers, but it gets the job done until I want to invest in something a little nicer. The stock is a hand-me-down Tapco from a buddy of mine, the handguard was on sale for $90. The grip and foregrip were $20 a piece, and the carry-handle rail was only $14. The only thing I can complain about so far is the the iron sights. I wish they weren't the old style, but oh well.

hard anal
    Last edited by srsinternets; 03-10-2009 at 02:28 PM.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Ive had that rail and pistol grip.

If that is the UTG rail Im thinking it is, then they sell for like $60 new.

For a cheap, quality red dot look at these three.

Bushnell HOLOsight (What I have)
    Bushnell Trophy Red Dot
    Vortex Strike Fire

EDIT: I had the UTG rail and never had any problems with it. It was sturdy. But they are made with cheap aluminum so the aluminum can expand under heat much easier than a quality one. Ive actually had my UTG gas block move like a CM and make the gun single shot (cock to shoot once).

I mainly went with the Daniel Defense Omega Rail because it had the look I wanted.

And for a cheao grip, look at ordering a Magpul MOE or MIAD. I have the MOE and the textured surface almost sticks to your hand.
    Last edited by Anonymous D; 03-10-2009 at 02:39 PM.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah the rail is the UTG 416. Thanks for pointing that out. They price match online so I'll have to bring in my receipt later. It seems of pretty good construction. Its solid, the anodizing is good, and it does what I need it to do so it will probably be on there for a while. The carry handle rail is UTG too, and its pretty rugged. I'm pretty impressed the the quality of them both considering the price. Same with the Tapco stock, and it was free. The only thing I'm not sure of is whether the buffer tube is milspec or commercial, I'll have to measure it so I can order a CTR.

Haven't really had a chance to put the red dot to the test yet, but it seems alright. It was $25, had red/green, and is parallax free past 50 yards so I can dig it for now. Plus it looks pretty good on my carry handle.
    Last edited by srsinternets; 03-10-2009 at 02:52 PM.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Heres the measurements for a mil spec and comm tube.

Scanners broke. lol

Only thing Id change would be to take the covers off. I liked them at first, but it looks alot better w/o them. I personally like the lo profile ladder style covers like the ones I have on my gun.
    gun

Second thing would be get a different pistol grip. I found that when your hands get sweaty this one slips too easy. The MOE one I was talking about is the best grip Ive felt.

And for the red dot, The Strikefire would look good on a carry handle. And its an awesome sight. Im thinking about getting one. And its night vision compatible. Not that I need it. lol.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Are all commercial tubes with a slanted back? If so, I guess thats an easier give-away than measuring it. Mine has a flat back, although it also has more than 4 points.

As for the pistol grip, yeah I'll be changing that out shortly. While much more comfortable than the OEM grip, it is a pretty slick surface. I plan on getting foliage green furniture in the future anyways.

Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yea, slanted back is comm., flat is mil spec And the holes on the bottom are different on different tubes, they both come with 4 and 6.

Good luck finding Foliage green stuff. I know the everything that color has been hard to find.

You should go Flat Dark Earth. But Im kind of biased. lol

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My AR is lacking one thing it might need... an upper.

Besides that I've managed to get accessories combat tested and proven. They might not be the best nowadays, but I find little wrong with the Knight's Armament RIS and the issued BUIS and other goodies. Besides, they were free.