Thread: Ball joint and Control arm replacement in a 96 Nissan Sentra GXE

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Ball joint and Control arm replacement in a 96 Nissan Sentra GXE

I took it to a mechanic and they let me know that my ball joint was going out on it and giving me the wobbling in my steering and such (I could see where it was going out after he pointed it out. They then proceeded to offer to fix it for a wonderfully high sum of 350 dollars... How hard is said part to replace? and what tools would I need?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm sure it's different on a Nissan, but I witnessed a friend changing one on a FWD Ford Escape a few weeks ago. It was easier to swap the lower control arm with things in tact, but it was still a PAIN in the ass. The ball joints needed to be pressed in, fortunately the shop he was working in had one to use.

You're better off paying the $350.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The problem, I don't have 350 dollars, so I am hoping to find a mechanic that doesn't want to bankrupt me

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maliathone View Post
    The problem, I don't have 350 dollars, so I am hoping to find a mechanic that doesn't want to bankrupt me
    If you bump into a younger mechanic around a Nissan dealership or do-it-all place like Merchant's/Tire Kingdom/NTB, he may be willing to help. Right place, right time would be a factor, but many up-and-coming mechanics do not make a whole lot, and it is a safe bet that the right guy would be willing to do a little shadetree work or at least point you in the right direction.

Short of knowing someone or doing it yourself you will have to pay the money. Honestly, I learned quite a bit doing my own work with only bare-bones knowledge of what I was doing. Still do, over seven years since I turned a wrench for a living has not been kind to my mechanical prowess. Buy a Haynes manual, get loaner tools and a jack and get to work.

Parts look to be around $120 from NAPA, a cheap jack and jackstand kit costs around $20-30 at Wal-Mart, a Haynes manual costs less than $20 (if I find mine from when I owned my '99 Sentra I can send it to you), and even if you have to buy the balljoint press it is only $33. Hand tools and the press should be able to be borrowed. If not, get the manual, find out what tools you will need and buy them. Even if you have to buy everything, you are still saving $100, plus you are armed with tools and knowledge. If you can borrow tools and a jack, you will spend less than $150 with tax. In my opinion this is much better than lining the pockets of some hotshot professional mechanic looking for more gravy and his bosses . I am not too familiar with the current rate of labor, but it sounds like you were quoted for two to three hours of work. Most places base their labor off a Chilton guide or something similar. They make their money off the fact that, say, a control arm replacement requires two hours. The new guy that never touched one might take two-and-a-half hours his first time. The guy that has done dozens might take forty-five minutes. The customer is charged for two hours regardless, and the shop is making money as both mechanics are paid for two hours labor no matter how long it takes them.

Still, if you are not sure of your ability to do this work and cannot find someone willing to help, you might have to just pay the $350. Before you do, check out this site for some hints and advice on how to keep future auto repair costs down as well as warnings against some practices used by shops. Just found it and it seems pretty informative.