Thread: What TV for ~$800?

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default What TV for ~$800?

My roommate wants to buy a big TV for about $800 (which he wants me to pay for half). However, I have not a fuck idea what to buy. Here's what I've been gathering:

Screen size will probably be 42" or less, but preferably bigger than 30" for ~$800.

720p is supposedly on it's way "out" because the standard is being set at 1080p with Blue Ray and shit. Plus,I heard it takes more processing to convert a 1080p image to 720p than the other way around, thus shittier quality. Still, I think we should go with 720p because it's cheaper and screens smaller than 42" means cant see shit difference anyway.

Manufacturing name seems to play a big role in quality of the TV and picture. I think it is safe to say to stay away from Westing House, Insignia and the likes. Samsung is supposed to be top of the line, but expensive. What are good 'intermediate' brands? LG, Toshiba, ...?

We will mostly be watching OTA or what ever cheapass cable we have. Roommate is also thinking of buying a PS3, so gaming/Blue-Ray is a possibility. Connecting computers up is a possibility too, although probably only for watching movies, not web surfing or documents (no need high resolution). Ideally, we will make a purchase at a local Best Buy or Fry's, although online ordering is a possibility.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You're not going to get anything decent over 32" - maybe 37" - for $800. Anything 42" will be an off brand with subpar panel and processor.

720p will remain a broadcast standard for quite some time, regardless of BluRay. Whoever said it was being "phased out" is dumb. This is largely irrelevant though, as most sets will be able to accept 720p as well as 1080i/p and then up/down convert to the native resolution. It's easier to down convert than it is to up convert. Resolution is generally chosen based on what's best for the size and viewing distance. But I can already tell you that >37" panel should be 720p.

As for brand suggestions, Samsung, Sony and LG - in that order - are good for LCDs. I haven't kept up with plasma much, but I hear the Pioneers are really nice. Probably out of your price range though. You'd probably get more for your money going with a plasma though. I'd suggest heading over to AVSForum and doing some research.
    Last edited by ephekt; 09-29-2008 at 08:48 PM.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

To be honest, I bought a Dynex 26" LCD and the quality is really good with my PS3 and HD component cables.

Anyway, Toshiba, LG, Samsung, and Sony are the top ones from what I understand.

Don't go Plasma. Life span isn't nearly as good as LCD plus they're probably out of your range.

But like I said, my Dynex TV is nice. Picture quality was looking good in comparison to bigger names.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wait until Black Friday...only about 2 months left? I scored a 42" 1080p Sharp Aquos for $800 bucks at Circuit City. Well worth the wait in the freezing ass cold, and better than paying 1k+

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU Anonymous D's Avatar
    Credits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by invision View Post
    Wait until Black Friday...only about 2 months left? I scored a 42" 1080p Sharp Aquos for $800 bucks at Circuit City. Well worth the wait in the freezing ass cold, and better than paying 1k+
    I was gonna say the same thing. Last year I got my Polaroid 32" for $500. For $800 you can probably get a 46" or so on black Friday.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SneeBeezums View Post
    To be honest, I bought a Dynex 26" LCD and the quality is really good with my PS3 and HD component cables.

Anyway, Toshiba, LG, Samsung, and Sony are the top ones from what I understand.

Don't go Plasma. Life span isn't nearly as good as LCD plus they're probably out of your range.

But like I said, my Dynex TV is nice. Picture quality was looking good in comparison to bigger names.
    Well DLP is the best all-rounder, Plasma has the best blacks and I think LCDs should only be used for computer monitors, I think they're terrible.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absolution View Post
    Well DLP is the best all-rounder, Plasma has the best blacks and I think LCDs should only be used for computer monitors, I think they're terrible.
    Well yeah DLPs are nice, but not exactly the space savers for rooms. Plus I don't know if I've ever seen a DLP for ~ $800 or for the size he was looking for. Didn't really feel the need to mention them.

In any other circumstance I'd recommend a DLP. We have a Samsung at my house and it's beautiful. For gaming purposes with a 360 or PS3 with HD, it's great.
    Last edited by SneeBeezums; 09-30-2008 at 02:16 PM.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absolution View Post
    Plasmas will always have better blacks due to the tech, but moderm LCDs make this issue almost negligible. Plus, you can actually get true 1920x1080 at a decent price.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I got my 32" LCD with 2 HDMI, AVG, 2 component (yellow, red, white) 2 HD component (green, red, blue) S-video, that HD audio input, and a bunch of audio outputs for ~$750. It's an Insigna which is a brand for Best Buy made by RCA and it's a fairly good tv. Compared to some of the equal price ones it was definitely the better one especially for the size.

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There is a 56" samsung DLP 1080p for $1000
    50" samsung 720p plasma for $1000
    42" panasonic 720p for around $1000
    Theres a cheap dynex plasma 720p for $700

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd suggest waiting until day after thanksgiving if you can and just finding the best deal you can that route. Last year I got a 37 inch 1080 for 550 at target

Credits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Roommate wants one relatively soon (as in Black friday is too far away...). We might just spring on what ever is on sale at best buy tomorrow.